Wiki Posts
Search

NYC to Hawaii(HNL+OGG)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

NYC to Hawaii(HNL+OGG)

Hi all!

I'd like some advice on flights between NYC and Hawaii and also inter-island. We are newlyweds planning a honeymoon for late Sept/early Oct.

I've been looking at the forums here for a couple of weeks now(great resource!) and it helped us pick Big Island and Maui as our destinations. We'd like to hit Big Island first and get a good amount of activities done in the first half of our trip. We would then like to head onto Maui for a little more luxury/relaxtion to top off the honeymoon.

We are looking at EWR -> HNL. We aren't regular flyers so we aren't proficient with mileage accumulation or upgrades with miles although I do have some miles stashed from a few years of LGW -> EWR when it was available. With that in mind we are going to be going coach to save money for the luxury part of our rip and take any kind of upgrad if available closer to the date.

And finally my questions!
1. Are there any better options than taking the direct flight? Some say the 10hrs is a killer so we'd look at stopping on the west coast. Which airlines have a "nicer" coach for this leg?

2. Should I book my interisland flight separately or book as part of a multi-trip ticket so that we can leave from OGG (and avoid going back to HNL/KOA)?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 17, 2011, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can do an open jaw, flying into HNL and out of OGG, thereby avoiding the need to fly back to HNL on the way back and saving one fare. Just book a oneway interisland ticket, which can be booked as part of your CO award ticket for 5,000 miles IIRC.

As for the EWR-HNL flight, I've done it a number of times in Y. Probably way times too many. That said, CO has AVOD on the 764 so that helps pass the time. Breaking up the flight might be a better idea though with a connection on the West Coast. If you're looking or a more comfortable Y experience, you might try booking UA and paying the E+ fee to get a few more inches of legroom.
Old May 28, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
If you are going coach I think the non-stop EWR-HNL/OGG on UA is one of your best options, particularly if you can sit in Economy Plus. The few extra inches of leg room can make a difference.

Last edited by broadwayblue; May 28, 2011 at 8:45 am
Old May 28, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
One thing that i would suggest is if you decide to travel on United with Economy+ that you look into the Economy+ Annual Option.

United Website Link for Annual Option

For $425 you get economy+ for an entire year. This will get you and one other person booked on your same confirmation number into economy plus every time you fly.

When I found out about this last year going to Hawaii it was actually cheaper for me to get this then it was to buy all of the upgrades for one of us round trip.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: Lotz
Open-jaw is an option but OGG and other islands are much harder to get seats for. I tried and tried for 6 months out on AA with no success RT. Many more seats available in and out of HNL.

If you have the Virgin Atlantic cc or miles, the easiest option is Hawaiian inter-island flights which are just 6K RT through Virgin Atlantic (they're 15K rt though Hawaiian's ff program!). Or you can go standby for about $100 each way on Mesa.

Also AA has a long off-peak to Hawaii for 35K and AA through BA is 35K with unlimited stopovers year round.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.