Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renting Cars In Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Renting Cars In Hawaii

Hi We will be in Honululu (Wakiki) and would like to rent a car for a day where do you recommend. Should we return it the same day.

When we go the Maui, we would also like to rent a car, do you think we need a car for the full week. Anybody know how much it cost from the airport (OGG) to Westin Kaanapali?

We will be arriving on Sunday but will be dropping off someone to the airport on Thursday, wasn't sure if we should keep the car for a week or return it on Thursday. The only thing is that we will need to get transportation back to the Westin.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by jclouie25
Hi We will be in Honululu (Wakiki) and would like to rent a car for a day where do you recommend. Should we return it the same day.

When we go the Maui, we would also like to rent a car, do you think we need a car for the full week. Anybody know how much it cost from the airport (OGG) to Westin Kaanapali?

We will be arriving on Sunday but will be dropping off someone to the airport on Thursday, wasn't sure if we should keep the car for a week or return it on Thursday. The only thing is that we will need to get transportation back to the Westin.
Car on Maui is highly advisable, as there is no frequent, reliable transportation system, and cabs will be expensive. A one-way taxi cab rental going OGG -> Westin Kaanapali will run about $60, more than the cost of a one day car rental.

For Honolulu, you can get away without a car, but be sure to do one day rentals (search this forum for tips) to get outside of Waikiki.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Absolutely you will need a car in Maui. We usually go through a tank of gas in a week just getting to golf courses and shopping and such.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 4:50 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Car rental companies usually give a price break if you rent for 5 days or more so it might actually cost you more money to rent for 4 days. A car rental in Maui is essential, IMO. It'll cost you more in taxis than you'll have paid to rent a car.

I always book Alamo through Costco and use a $30 discount coupon off a weekly fare. In addition to good rates, you also get one free additional driver.

If you don't belong to Costco, Entertainment also offers some decent fares, but you won't get the free driver.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Recreation
Car rental companies usually give a price break if you rent for 5 days or more so it might actually cost you more money to rent for 4 days. A car rental in Maui is essential, IMO. It'll cost you more in taxis than you'll have paid to rent a car.

I always book Alamo through Costco and use a $30 discount coupon off a weekly fare. In addition to good rates, you also get one free additional driver.

If you don't belong to Costco, Entertainment also offers some decent fares, but you won't get the free driver.
I could not imagine to going to Maui and not having a car rental. There is so much to see and do there. If you are planning on site seeing a lot you will spend a fortune in taxi's if you dont have car rental.

I usually book through Costco also. I am going to Maui in May for 13 days and I got a full size car with free extra driver for a total of $229 including taxes.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
And use my #1 car rental tip for Maui - keep checking the price after you reserve. It often goes down, and you can re-reserve at the lower price at no cost to you. I have saved hundreds of $$ doing this.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by seaduck79
And use my #1 car rental tip for Maui - keep checking the price after you reserve. It often goes down, and you can re-reserve at the lower price at no cost to you. I have saved hundreds of $$ doing this.
And a site like autoslash.com is good at tracking it automatically, if you don't mind giving out your confirmation #.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by seaduck79
Absolutely. I test my itinerary about once a month and more often as the travel date approaches. Often times, the car rental company will have a "Hot deals" section on their website which lists discounted rates for upcoming dates, so don't forget to check these out, too. You can stack these discount codes with the $30 off coupons, too.

FYI, if I can find a cheaper rate or a better discount coupon, I bring up my old reservation and modify it. No need to cancel and re-book a new one every time you save a few bucks. That way you still have the same reservation number.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone tried www.discounthawaiicarrental.com for their rent a car? Will be in Waikiki & Maui in May. Are there any "must sees"?? Don't want to get stuck in a tourist trap. Any input would be appreciated.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by jclouie25
Has anyone tried www.discounthawaiicarrental.com for their rent a car? Will be in Waikiki & Maui in May. Are there any "must sees"?? Don't want to get stuck in a tourist trap. Any input would be appreciated.
In my experience, Discount Hawaii has the best prices other than Priceline and all the flexibility that Priceline does not have.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:08 am

Programs: DL Platinum, CO Gold, Marriott Gold
You can find great rental car deals by bidding on priceline for a week with an economy car.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:08 am

Programs: DL Platinum, CO Gold, Marriott Gold
For example, a weekly rental for a standard car is around 14/ day.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Got a great deal

I just checked enterprise and alamo and got a great price for a full size car for the week in Maui. Prices do flucuate alot, started out at $294 for a full then went to a midsize for $176 now back to full size for $111
Old May 26, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: AA DL UA
Costco car rentals

Originally Posted by Recreation

I have a question about renting through Costco.

I have a Costco membership valid through July. I only got it for a great deal on a TV; since I live alone and don't buy most items they sell, it's not worth renewing my membership.

I'd like to rent a car in August for the Big Island.

So my question is whether my Costco membership needs to be valid when I pick the car up, or is it enough that my Costco membership is valid now, when I make the reservation.

Of course, I can still consider other cheap options too (Priceline or Discount Hawaii Car Rental).
Old May 26, 2011, 11:52 am

I often use Costco for car rentals. Never had to show my membership card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.