Impact of tsunami on Hawaii - report here

Subscribe
Hope all goes well.
My flight is in an hour out of ogg
Gas station lines are packed (can see one from my house), and civil defense sirens went off about an hour ago. Last time we had this, really a non-event. This one might be different... Thoughts go out to all the folks in Tokyo and the surrounding areas.
LIH, ITO reported to be now shut down. OGG still operating until the last flight tonight.
Good luck to all our friends in Hawaii.

For the first time in 9 years, I'm not in Waikiki this week.
HA suspended flights to neighbor islands, because although the airports were fine, lots of roads to them were low-lying and therefore off-limits. Not much point flying to a neighbor island if you're going to be stuck in the airport.

Local news said water came over the Kailua-Kona pier and went across Ali'i Drive. I'm waiting for sunrise here in Hilo... had to evacuate the house since it's in a low-lying area (10 minutes walk from the beach).

Local news just said (at 6am) that HNL and KOA are open, and HA is flying between them.
KITV now reports that a surge has topped the wall in Kailua-Kona and that the shops on Ali`' Drive are flooded (as is the Palace)

KITV's Facebook page reports

Quote:
Maui Mayor Alan Arakawa says there are flooded streets and overflowing sewage lines. Affected areas include Kihei, Kahului, Lahaina and Maalaea.
My prayers with all of you there.
Estimated $3M in damage from Tsunami in the State:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...117839388.html

Pales in comparison to what's going on in Japan...
FS Hualalai is temporarily closed due to debris damage, according to their Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/FourSeasonsResortHualalai
We are in Kauai (Lihue) in an oceanfront room. Last night the tsunami warning sirens woke us and we spent the rest of the night on our lanai watching water as best we could in the dark. People from lower floor were evacuated. People from many areas on the island were evacuated, in fact. We were grateful to be allowed to stay in our room. I'm pretty sure we saw the 1st and 2nd waves come ashore. It was really interesting. No wave came far enough in to cause any trouble for this area. One it was daybreak and we could see better it became obvious that the surf had been stirring up debris from somewhere as the water looked really dirty. It was really a non event though in the global view of things and light of the devastation in Japan. Kauai seems to be fine. I've heard the real damage was along Alii Dr in Kona on the Big Island.
We leave tomorrow for 2 weeks. Hopefully everything will be ok. I feal bad for the Japanese folks and anyone else affected by this.
Quote: We leave tomorrow for 2 weeks. Hopefully everything will be ok. I feal bad for the Japanese folks and anyone else affected by this.
Unless you're staying on Alii Drive in Kailua-Kona, you won't notice anything really different.
Quote: FS Hualalai is temporarily closed due to debris damage, according to their Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/FourSeasonsResortHualalai
Kona Village Resort is also closed until further notice. 20-30 Hales (bungalows) were severely damaged and may need to be rebuilt.
We recently bought a condo in Kona Sea Ridge for (near-term) future retirement. It is in long-term rental now. Fortunately, it is at the far east end of the complex, significantly higher than sea level. I am glad that we decided not to buy directly on the water now...