HNL-OGG

Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

HNL-OGG

I am slightly embarassed to even ask this, and I know that the info is out there someplace, but FT advice is usually the best, so if anybody has a couple of minutes, I would appreciate your input.

We're booked on AS PDX-ANC-HNL, and then OGG-PDX,all in July. So the first question is, who to fly HNL-OGG, and the 2nd question is, what would be a good airport hotel to spend the first night, either HNL or OGG? THANKS!
Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:02 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PIONEER
...what would be a good airport hotel to spend the first night, either HNL....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...rt-thread.html

After reading that, you may decide to go to a Waikiki hotel:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...t=consolidated
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
First check if OGG or JHM is closer/easier to your destination. Then check HA/IslandAir/Go
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

I didn't even know that Maui has 2 airports, but it looks like there are only a few flights a day to JHM, and the last one to there from HNL leaves too early for our connection from ANC, so I guess we need to go to OGG. (The thread re HNL hotels makes it sound like we would be best off continuing to OGG that same evening.) IS HAL the only possibility?

Any advice re OGG area hotels would be appreciated.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 3:49 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
For me, after a long flight to get to HNL, I'd spend the first night in Waikiki. I wouldn't feel like switching to the interisland terminal, and then enduring another flight.

How long altogether are you going for? Maybe a few nights on Oahu, then go to Maui?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks Happymommy

Well, as many times as I've been to HNL on business, I didn't even know that interisland is a seperate terminal, so thanks for that.

From what I've seen, the hotels near HNL aren't that great, so I think we'll be better off getting to OGG that same evening. We've just got 3 nites on Maui.

But back to this interisland terminal, is that a big problem to get over there from AS? Do you have to reclear security? If so, yuck! THANKS!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Your interisland question has two answers depending on which airline you fly.
If you fly HA then the interisland portion is not bad and you don't have to clear security again if you use the "Wiki-Wiki" shuttle ( I always giggle when I see this at HNL...)
Anyway, if you use one of the other airlines, the terminal is tiny, crappy, has lousy information etc., etc. and you will have to clear security again.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks 7Continents, Well, I guess we are definitely on HA. Is it obvious how to find the shuttle when we get to HNL (on AS)? Any advice on good hotels near OGG? Thanks again.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Nix the airport hotels at both OGG and HNL the hotels at both airports pretty much suck
Island Air if going to JHM airport ( Kapalua west Maui ) they only fly into JHM during daylight hours
Island Air or Hawaiian to OGG the main large Maui airport.
I advise to avoid go air owned by Mesa
Stick with Hawaiian or Island Air
Old Mar 9, 2011, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 7Continents
Your interisland question has two answers depending on which airline you fly.
If you fly HA then the interisland portion is not bad and you don't have to clear security again if you use the "Wiki-Wiki" shuttle ( I always giggle when I see this at HNL...)
Anyway, if you use one of the other airlines, the terminal is tiny, crappy, has lousy information etc., etc. and you will have to clear security again.
a couple of weeks ago I flew GO from OGG-HNL and then UA to LAX , I simply followed the signs and walked from the comuter term to the UA gates w/o having to actually exit and go thru Security @ HNL. So I imagine it can be done in reverse as well w/o having to go thru Security at HNL when heading to OGG , and the walk would be nice after a long haul flight inbounding

However I did have to put my carry-on thru the agriculutural xray machine and wait my turn in a modest size line
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by craz
a couple of weeks ago I flew GO from OGG-HNL and then UA to LAX , I simply followed the signs and walked from the comuter term to the UA gates w/o having to actually exit and go thru Security @ HNL. So I imagine it can be done in reverse as well w/o having to go thru Security at HNL when heading to OGG , and the walk would be nice after a long haul flight inbounding

However I did have to put my carry-on thru the agriculutural xray machine and wait my turn in a modest size line
Absolutely correct, you can go from any gate in the airport to another without having to reclear security.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:06 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by craz
It's so much more fun when they have the little ag-sniffing dogs on duty.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
We flew Island Air from JHM-HNL in January after flying into OGG. The nice thing about flying in/out of JHM is it's at west Maui and saves the drive to/from OGG.

We were originally flying into HNL and were going to stay at the Best Western HNL and then fly to Maui but flights into Maui directly opened up the week before we left. The Best Western was ~120/night on www.booking.com
Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:08 am
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Originally Posted by 7Continents
Where did this come from? You definitely can go between the interisland and mainland/intl terminals without clearing security again.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PIONEER
Thanks 7Continents, Well, I guess we are definitely on HA. Is it obvious how to find the shuttle when we get to HNL (on AS)? Any advice on good hotels near OGG? Thanks again.
I am somewhat puzzled why you are trying to get a hotel near OGG if you plan to stay on Maui for several days...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.