Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Marriott Maui Ocean Club vs Hyatt Regency Maui

Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Howdy Folks!

First trip to Maui coming up for my honeymoon. Was wondering if anyone has strong opinions one way or the other on these two properties? I have the Marriott locked up for a 5 night stay for ~$1850, and i can get the Hyatt for about $100 more. The Marriott is an oceanfront room, the Hyatt partial ocean.

This is my 4th trip to Hawaii, and her 3rd, though as indicated first to Maui for both. On each previous stay we stayed with my parents or in private home rentals on Oahu and the Big Island. So we want, particularly since it is our honeymoon, to partake of the resort experience this time around.

The pool is important to both of us, and both look to have good pools. Is one better than the other? In particular, I'm looking forward to the "fun" aspects of the pool, waterslide, waterfalls etc. Hey, I'm a big kid.

Spa is not all that important, though we may indulge in a couples massage or something. Beach is important, but swimming less so. I'll be in the water a ton, bride-to-be not so much.

I understand that the Marriott is primarily a timeshare property, so would be prepared for a lot of attempted sales pitches and that's no big deal. If need be I can always introduce myself by my credit score to fend them off.

As long as I'm asking, any resort reccomendations for 3-4 nights on the Big Island? We'll be heading there after Maui for a few nights, then spending 3 or 4 night on the Hilo side in a private residence. We'll end on Oahu for a night to hit Pearl Harbor (want to see it since the redo, the swap meet and a shrimp truck before flying home.

Well FTers? Thoughts on these two and BI resorts?

Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
The Marriott can be very crowded depending on the time of the year. Literally wall to wall chairs all over the place. Are you in one of the new towers or the original timeshare rooms? The Hyatt is a wonderful property with a great pool but no full kitchens like the timeshares. If the kitchen is not important, I would go with the Hyatt if the price is similar.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I own a timeshare at the Westin Ka'anapali villas a few miles down the road. While I love timeshares because I like having the extra space, a washer/dryer, and full kitchen (mainly because I don't want to eat out every meal), it doesn't have the same feel as a resort. They're made to be a home away from home, if you will. The Marriott is a higher end property, and much nicer than many condos you could rent on Maui, esp if you rent at the towers, but it's still a villa. If it's the resort experience that you want, then you should head to the Hyatt.

The Hyatt has wonderful grounds, its own private beach (because it's at the end of the road, so to speak), and great on-site activities, such as sunset cocktail cruises*, the rooftop astronomy program, etc. And it has wonderful pools, on-site restaurants, etc. Its location on the Ka'anapali beachfront path makes it ideal for strolling to neighboring resorts. Just watching the sun set is romantic without spending a penny.

The only downside IMO is that the area can get crowded. It's a bustling place, especially during high season.

*I assume they replaced their awesome catamaran, the Kiele V, which tragically sunk after its mast snapped and killed a passenger. My husband and I enjoyed several trips aboard the Kiele V, and hope that they now offer a similar excursion. You can't get much more romantic than a sunset catamaran and cocktail cruise.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

I'm very torn, I think I have convinced myself that Hyatt is a better resort, but to get it at a comparable, or frankly decent, price, I'll have to utilize their STAY certificates for 4 of the 5 nights and reserve normally for the fifth (actually first.) Those certificates entitle us only to a Resort View room, while the Marriott is confirmed Oceanfront, and I was able to use the free upgrade to get gold status with Marriott, so maybe even a further upgrade?

On the other hand, we would be in one of the older towers at the Marriott, so even though it's Oceanfront vs Resort view, maybe the Hyatt is the better bet.

To clarify, I'm not sure I really meant resort experience, especially as it refers to the room. What we are looking forward to is being right on the beach, such that when I have difficulty dragging her out of bed and then am waiting the hour to leave the room once I do, it will be nice to be able to go relax on the beach. Or at the pool, the extravagant pool being one of the things that comes to mind to us when we thing Hawaiian resort. Our previous stays have all been either more inland, or near non-swimmable ocean areas.

I've got both on cancel-able reservations, so I was trying to solicit advice.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
I prefer the Hyatt for so many reasons. I would have to really have something with marriott before picking it over the Hyatt.

Still trying to see what you are trying to get.

Priceline will get you a great deal on the Hyatt, or at least it did for us...see trip report. That will get you a room for well under $100/nt, but it will be run of the hotel unless you have some clout with Hyatt. If you have not used Priceline before, or if view is critical, then skip this suggestion.

The Hotel we stayed at down South was very good, and also very reasonable. Again see our trip report. It was going thru ownership change, but have great access to a beach, a smallish pool, great service, good parking and was quiet. We skipped the Hawaiian feast, but watched the show from our room will sipping some wine. We could see the whales from our room...and we were on priceline!!!!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ranles
I prefer the Hyatt for so many reasons. I would have to really have something with marriott before picking it over the Hyatt.

Still trying to see what you are trying to get.

Priceline will get you a great deal on the Hyatt, or at least it did for us...see trip report. That will get you a room for well under $100/nt, but it will be run of the hotel unless you have some clout with Hyatt. If you have not used Priceline before, or if view is critical, then skip this suggestion.

The Hotel we stayed at down South was very good, and also very reasonable. Again see our trip report. It was going thru ownership change, but have great access to a beach, a smallish pool, great service, good parking and was quiet. We skipped the Hawaiian feast, but watched the show from our room will sipping some wine. We could see the whales from our room...and we were on priceline!!!!
There is nothing available via Priceline in the Resort Category in either Wailela or Ka'anapali for our dates, 4/4-4/9, at least not at a bid up to $270 per night.

I was able to get a rate of $321 per night for an Oceanfront room at the Marriott with the member rewards rate, and was able to reserve the resort view room at Hyatt which will cost $319 per night for the Stay Certificates, plus $464 for the first night of the stay.

It's these prices that have me nervous/antsy to make a good decision. I've never spent near this much for a hotel before. If I could get them for under $100, I'd book them both and sleep wherever we were closer at the moment!

I keep telling myself that it's my honeymoon so it's ok to splurge, because you only get married once! Then my fiancee slaps me. She's divorced.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:07 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
You sure you want to stay in Kaanapali?? Hyatt and Marriott are like apples and oranges.LOL First let me tell you I have stayed at the Hyatt more times then I can count. I have owned many ocean front units at the Marriott and currently own at the Westin.

Forget the Marriott for a honeymoon. Its a family place think 10 people in a 2 bedroom. Fighting for a pool chair everyday. Service average. The rooms well depends on the tower.
The Hyatt is more upscale still has kids but not as many I like the pool and beach area better. It is a full service resort unlike the marriott that has limited staff.
Now I would think of staying down in Wailea for a honeymoon for sure but I do not want to confuse you to much.......
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETEFLYS
You sure you want to stay in Kaanapali?? Hyatt and Marriott are like apples and oranges.LOL First let me tell you I have stayed at the Hyatt more times then I can count. I have owned many ocean front units at the Marriott and currently own at the Westin.

Forget the Marriott for a honeymoon. Its a family place think 10 people in a 2 bedroom. Fighting for a pool chair everyday. Service average. The rooms well depends on the tower.
The Hyatt is more upscale still has kids but not as many I like the pool and beach area better. It is a full service resort unlike the marriott that has limited staff.
Now I would think of staying down in Wailea for a honeymoon for sure but I do not want to confuse you to much.......

Thanks, that's good info. That really helps tip the scale toward Hyatt. I would love to stay in Wailea, it was my preferred area, but it's just not in the budget. I'm seeing rates at the resort properties there in the $800-$1k range per night. Many don't have *any* availability on the 4th.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:19 am

First of all, relax. You'll be on Maui on your honeymoon and no matter what place you choose, it'll be glorious. When you asked the question, I assumed that neither would be stretching your budget too tightly. I'd never recommend someone spending more than they could reasonably afford for a hotel room. And at the end of the day, it is just a room. Your life (and marriage) are what you make of them, not where you stay.

To put it into perspective, the first time we traveled to Maui for our 15th wedding anniversary, we went all out on the oceanfront room in Wailea. Paid more than I'd ever paid for a hotel. It was very nice, but now that we've gotten our heads back on straight, we stay at a nice but more affordable place, and direct the bulk of our travel dollars on activities.

And don't forget activities in your budget! There's a myriad of things to do in Maui, things that will make your honeymoon much more memorable than what room you're staying in! Here are a few to consider:

I've already mentioned sunset cruises, which I think are incredibly romantic. As an added bonus, in April there will still be a few whales but they won't be hopping around like they are in Jan/Feb, so absolutely book a cruise of some sort so that you can get closer to them. They are magnificent. I recommend either a catamaran or a sailboat. Like I said, check with the Hyatt (whether you stay there or not) to see if they still offer their sunset catamaran cruises. They were the best operation in town when we sailed with them.

Another activity that I highly recommend is Warren & Annabelle's magic show. Don't dismiss it if you're not a fan of magic shows, because that doesn't begin to explain it. I wouldn't opt for the food & drink package because you won't have long to eat/drink in the lounge before the show. Instead, enjoy the show then head to Kimo's, a block or so down, afterward for a great evening out.

I also highly recommend Trilogy's all-day trip to Lahaina. You board in the morning and take a beautiful sail over to Lahaina (a neighboring island). On the way, they stop so that you can snorkel a bit. Once on Lahaina, they shuttle you to the beautiful beach shared by the Four Seasons, where you can hike, snorkel, play volleyball, body surf, or just sun yourself. Afterward, they serve lunch, which is amazingly good. Then you ride back to Maui where they serve ice cream. Loved this trip, but it's expensive. And since it's whale season, you'll have another opportunity to see the whales.

Then there's Ziplining. Loved it! It may be too late to book this, but this was the favorite thing we did last summer. Pack a lunch, book an early trip and then spend the rest of the day exploring Haleakala.

I could go on and on, but I'm offering this up so that you can try and figure out where you want to direct your dollars. On the one hand, if you envision yourself spending most of the time at the resort, then I'd lean towards the more expensive Hyatt*. If your budget cannot pull off a great resort and great activities, then I'd lean towards the Marriott.

*Be sure to check Costco to see if you can get a better price on a roomo at the Hyatt. If you don't have a card, ask around and see if someone who has one can call and ask their prices. It may be worth the $50 membership to get their rate.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Recreation
First of all, relax. You'll be on Maui on your honeymoon and no matter what place you choose, it'll be glorious. When you asked the question, I assumed that neither would be stretching your budget too tightly. I'd never recommend someone spending more than they could reasonably afford for a hotel room. And at the end of the day, it is just a room. Your life (and marriage) are what you make of them, not where you stay.

To put it into perspective, the first time we traveled to Maui for our 15th wedding anniversary, we went all out on the oceanfront room in Wailea. Paid more than I'd ever paid for a hotel. It was very nice, but now that we've gotten our heads back on straight, we stay at a nice but more affordable place, and direct the bulk of our travel dollars on activities.

And don't forget activities in your budget! There's a myriad of things to do in Maui, things that will make your honeymoon much more memorable than what room you're staying in! Here are a few to consider:

I've already mentioned sunset cruises, which I think are incredibly romantic. As an added bonus, in April there will still be a few whales but they won't be hopping around like they are in Jan/Feb, so absolutely book a cruise of some sort so that you can get closer to them. They are magnificent. I recommend either a catamaran or a sailboat. Like I said, check with the Hyatt (whether you stay there or not) to see if they still offer their sunset catamaran cruises. They were the best operation in town when we sailed with them.

Another activity that I highly recommend is Warren & Annabelle's magic show. Don't dismiss it if you're not a fan of magic shows, because that doesn't begin to explain it. I wouldn't opt for the food & drink package because you won't have long to eat/drink in the lounge before the show. Instead, enjoy the show then head to Kimo's, a block or so down, afterward for a great evening out.

I also highly recommend Trilogy's all-day trip to Lahaina. You board in the morning and take a beautiful sail over to Lahaina (a neighboring island). On the way, they stop so that you can snorkel a bit. Once on Lahaina, they shuttle you to the beautiful beach shared by the Four Seasons, where you can hike, snorkel, play volleyball, body surf, or just sun yourself. Afterward, they serve lunch, which is amazingly good. Then you ride back to Maui where they serve ice cream. Loved this trip, but it's expensive. And since it's whale season, you'll have another opportunity to see the whales.

Then there's Ziplining. Loved it! It may be too late to book this, but this was the favorite thing we did last summer. Pack a lunch, book an early trip and then spend the rest of the day exploring Haleakala.

I could go on and on, but I'm offering this up so that you can try and figure out where you want to direct your dollars. On the one hand, if you envision yourself spending most of the time at the resort, then I'd lean towards the more expensive Hyatt*. If your budget cannot pull off a great resort and great activities, then I'd lean towards the Marriott.

*Be sure to check Costco to see if you can get a better price on a roomo at the Hyatt. If you don't have a card, ask around and see if someone who has one can call and ask their prices. It may be worth the $50 membership to get their rate.

Thanks for the info. Neither of the two I asked about are stretching the budget, but the $800-1500 rooms in Wailea would be! I can get the Hyatt at only $100 more than the Marriott, albeit in a lesser-veiwed room. That's the way I'm leaning, the limited staff at the Marriott comment resonated with me. In the end, I'll leave it up to the bride. Better resort, or oceanfront view?

Thanks also for the activities reccomendations. Warren and Annabelle's is on the list, provided it's not booked out as I haven't booked it yet. We'll also be definitely taking a trip out to Molokini, and driving to Hana. A whale watching cruise is also a for-sure. The sunrise bike ride is a possibility we're still thinking about.

Did you mean Lanai for the neighbor island?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Enjoralas
Did you mean Lanai for the neighbor island?
LOL. Yes. It wouldn't be much of a trip if they went to Lahaina, considering the boat is docked in Lahaina harbor.

Good luck with your planning. And make those W&A reservations now!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:18 am

BTW, I checked your dates through Costco. A deluxe ocean view room at the Hyatt that includes breakfast for 2 each day (and that's about a $50 value, IIRC) plus an Alamo intermediate car is $2660.45.

The rate includes all taxes but doesn't include that pesky daily $25 resort fee that they'll soak you for upon check-out, but I doubt your quoted rate does, either.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:59 am

When are you going?

I'm actually staying at both resorts for my honeymoon in June. We're staying at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club through II and then going to the Hyatt (they're right next door from each other) to finish off our 10 days stay.

We're staying at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club in an OceanFront 1 Bed Villa and then Hyatt in a OceanView King.

I can report back on both when return, but it may be cutting it close.

Congrats and Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.