Wiki Posts
Search

Review: Kauai Country Inn

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Review: Kauai Country Inn

I just got back from a stay at the Kauai Country Inn, and as I don't see it reviewed elsewhere, I thought I'd give it a go

This place prides itself on being a "non-standard B&B". It's located about a ten minute drive inland from Kapaa, fairly high up in the tropical rainforest.

The suites:
The B&B itself consists of four suites. I stayed in the Plumeria Suite, which really isn't done justice by the pictures. It has a private wrap around balcony that overlooks the forest, and is surrounded on all three sides by greenery.

The bed wasn't as comfortable as a sweet sleeper, but it was nice enough. The bathroom was HUGE, the water pressure was decent enough that I could wash my hair properly (majorly important in my opinion!).

As you can see, the suite consists of one bedroom, one (large) bathroom, a kitchenette, and living room. The suite is very large and spacious and comes equipped with fridge, microwave, gas cooktop (no oven), and enough dishes and cookware to serve anyone's needs.

It came fully equipped with towels, soap, shampoo and conditioner (large bottles of Kirkland brand, not teeny hotel shampoos). A basket of movies was available for me to use if I wished (I didn't), and there was a complimentary bottle of wine and a box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts waiting for me when I arrived. A nice touch, even if I didn't drink the wine

There was no key or key card, instead each room is equipped with a numeric touchpad, and each guest receives their own code which opens both the front door and your own suite door. The code resets upon checkout, or so the card said.

The location:

High up in the moutains, you really are away from everything. You can see the neighbouring houses if you look through the trees, but it's still incredibly peaceful and definitely has a feeling of an escape. I couldn't hear any cars while there, none of the usual chatter of people or motors. All I could hear were birds, and the occasional barking of the owners' dog.

It's not within walking distance of ANYTHING. You'll need a car, unless you're ready and prepared to be cut off from shops, beaches, and restaurants. There's plenty of shopping and restaurants in nearby Kapaa, but that's a good 4+ miles away. I went grocery shopping before I arrived as I fully planned to spend my entire trip lounging in obscurity with a good book, but if you crave beaches (and there are some gorgeous ones in the area) and social interaction, you'll need to head out to do it.

The quirks:
They don't use any insecticides on the property, so if you're squeamish about bugs, this isn't the ideal place. You do have to be careful about disposing of your leftover food and washing your dishes promptly as there are ants about. And if you're afraid of geckos, well... get over it

They don't take group reservations, nor do they accept children under 12. This is to keep things quiet for their guests, and I can say that I appreciated it. You could not wish for a more peaceful location.

The organic orchard they mention seems to consist mostly of lime trees, though I did spot a few other odd fruits I didn't recognize.

They don't provide daily cleaning services, and their cancellation policy is extremely long (60 days in advance). They also have a Beatles Tour museum located in the same building as the guest suites - I peeked through the door, but I'm not a big Beatles fan so I never took them up on the tour offer.

When ready to leave, you just leave. There's no process, just pack up and go before the 11AM checkout, which was interesting.

The Breakfast:

It's really not that much of one. In fact, the first day I was there it wasn't even set up because the arriving staff assumed there wasn't anyone in the inn so didn't bother to set it up. I went hunting for someone at around 9:30 and asked why there was no coffee provided (I get cranky without it) and it ended up being set up for me at around 10.

Brewed coffee, hot water and teabags, what looked like Costco pastries, instant oatmeal, and a few other options. It really is a very basic breakfast, and you'd probably be better off just providing your own. I really only wanted the coffee, but grabbed a muffin anyway in case I got hungry before lunch.

This was really the only sour note during the stay. As an overall recommendation, I'd give it a great thumbs up, definitely a go-to spot in Kauai, but only if you know what you're getting into. I think they do a decent job of describing it on the website, but it's still a little strange to someone who's used to being in the city!

Oh, one final note: there are definitely mosquitoes out here! Bring your calamine lotion and insect repellent if you want to avoid all bites. I ended up with about 10 bites during my stay, but a pretty small price to pay for a few days of lounging among tropical birds watching the world go by if you ask me.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: no status
Thanks for the review. How much was the range of rates, and did they have internet connection in the room? I am looking for B&B on Kauai for potential November vacation, but would prefer something close to coast and with more ample breakfast (may as well rent a condo if there's just a muffin and coffee). Also I have a hard time finding cheapo/MR air fares from YWG, so will definitely have to budget on accommodation.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
They had great high speed wifi available, along with a mac in the room if you didn't bring your own machine. Rates were $129/night, though they range up to $179/night. Quite reasonable really, about a ten minute drive from the beach.

Word of warning: if you're looking for November, check availability now. They're often fully booked months in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.