Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

First class lounge at Kahului Airport (OGG)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

I'm traveling first class on United from OGG to LAX in a few days. A couple quick questions:

-- What is the recommended check-in time for this flight?
-- There doesn't seem to be a Red Carpet Lounge at OGG. Is there a first class lounge at all?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
No lounge to my knowledge in OGG - either way, a F ticket on OGG-LAX would not qualify for lounge access by itself.

I'll let others chime in on check-in time, though an hour is likely sufficient.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I think Hawaiian Air has an OGG lounge. You may be able to buy a one time pass.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by zrs70
Not worth it, even if it was an option. Free coffee or Coke is nothing. OGG is an easy airport, enjoy the drink at the at the bar near the UA gates, there is no need for a lounge in OGG.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Originally Posted by zrs70
The HA "lounge" is horrible and depressing. Not worth trying to get into it. Enjoy the open air part of the airport, sit at Starbucks and watch people....enjoy life in Maui.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by kenhawk
The HA "lounge" is horrible and depressing. Not worth trying to get into it. Enjoy the open air part of the airport, sit at Starbucks and watch people....enjoy life in Maui.
Very good advice. I add that line times can be very unpredicatable at OGG. Arriving at the airport 1 hour before takeoff would be a little too much of a risk for me. Ag Inspection is usually quick but adds a few minutes. UA checkin can be slow and security can be VERY slow. Then there is also the Ag inspection for carryons just before the gates - very fast usually but once again you are adding time. I usually budget 2 hours but 1. 5 should be plenty.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:04 pm

Programs: 1.3mm
Originally Posted by mander
Very good advice. I add that line times can be very unpredicatable at OGG. Arriving at the airport 1 hour before takeoff would be a little too much of a risk for me. Ag Inspection is usually quick but adds a few minutes. UA checkin can be slow and security can be VERY slow. Then there is also the Ag inspection for carryons just before the gates - very fast usually but once again you are adding time. I usually budget 2 hours but 1. 5 should be plenty.

I have to agree. The last time I flew out of the OGG in Feb, I had a 2pm flight, so did some other airlines... the two security lines moved like honey.

I think I got to the airport 1.5 hours early... and it took me about 45 minutes to get through. The island way... no one is in a hurry.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Lines move very slow at OGG. Allow plenty of extra time for check-in.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
'at's fine with me....

...I'm never in any hurry to leave Maui, anyway...

Once, departing OGG----extremely reluctantly, of course--- R and I even got hugs from one of the TSA agents who recognized us as frequent visitors ro "her island."

How's them apples for Aloha, I askew!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So still seems to be no lounge access at OGG. Nothing for PRiority Pass either. Does Hawaiian give access to any partner airlines these days or does it have to be in combination with one of their flights?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
If you're on an early afternoon flight out of OGG, you may want to allocate 2+ hours so that you can clear TSA security without any worries. Many UA and other flights depart in this time block (12-3 PM depending on time of the year), and the surge at security can really muck things up...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:50 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
This seems a better topic for the Hawaii (Travel) Forum, so I will move this there.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B143 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So still seems to be no lounge access at OGG. Nothing for PRiority Pass either. Does Hawaiian give access to any partner airlines these days or does it have to be in combination with one of their flights?
Need to fly HA in F on the day of or a Pualani/Premier Club member for access. No reciprocal membership for partner elites/F pax/club members.

But you really are not missing anything. Think soda fountain, a basket of snacks, and wicker furniture. Toss in a single flat screen tv for viewing and another one for flight information. That's about it. No restrooms, food (aside from the snacks) or attendant.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
The nicest thing about the HA lounge is the pictures of old aircraft serving the isles. Other than that, forget about. (Free soda, woohoo!). As said, bathroom is outside.

The TSA lines at OGG have gotten better since the first of the year, as they have re-arranged the checkpoints and there are more of them. They (TSA) are "pre-check" ready, but they are awaiting HA to go pre-check. All the other airlines are behind it, just not HA yet...

If you have the time, I would arrive at the airport an hour before boarding starts. You can cut that to 45 minutes these days.

Aloha,

mUAf
Old Mar 1, 2013, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B146 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
The nicest thing about the HA lounge is the pictures of old aircraft serving the isles. Other than that, forget about. (Free soda, woohoo!). As said, bathroom is outside.

The TSA lines at OGG have gotten better since the first of the year, as they have re-arranged the checkpoints and there are more of them. They (TSA) are "pre-check" ready, but they are awaiting HA to go pre-check. All the other airlines are behind it, just not HA yet...

If you have the time, I would arrive at the airport an hour before boarding starts. You can cut that to 45 minutes these days.

Aloha,

mUAf
I have noticed that it is now possible to enter your trusted traveler number to a HA reservation when booking. A step in hopefully the right direction!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.