Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hawaiian Airlines A330" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
HA's official web page on the lie flats

24 aircraft converted: N360HA, N361HA, N370HA, N373HA, N374HA, N375HA, N378HA, N379HA, N380HA, N381HA, N382HA, N383HA, N384HA, N385HA, N386HA, N388HA, N389HA, N390HA, N391HA, N392HA, N393HA, N395HA, N396HA, N399HA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hawaiian Airlines A330" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by azj
#21 arrived last month and the final delivery, #22 will be later this year.
Azj-any idea why they sold a couple on leasebacks? Are they just doing it as a way of dumping capex cost? I know MSN 1672 has the reg N379HA and is on order, but I also saw recently that ALC completed another long term lease with HA for an additional A330 to be placed/delivered Q2 2016. Is this N379HA/MSN 1672? Or is it a 23'rd A330?

http://airleasecorp.com/2015/07/22/a...iian-airlines/
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:50 pm
azj

Originally Posted by FBWFTW
Azj-any idea why they sold a couple on leasebacks? Are they just doing it as a way of dumping capex cost? I know MSN 1672 has the reg N379HA and is on order, but I also saw recently that ALC completed another long term lease with HA for an additional A330 to be placed/delivered Q2 2016. Is this N379HA/MSN 1672? Or is it a 23'rd A330?

http://airleasecorp.com/2015/07/22/a...iian-airlines/
Not sure why they did the sale leasebacks, especially since it's usually done to raise cash, which HAL has plenty of right now. Perhaps the terms were more favorable than financing. HAL still owns, through financing, most of the 330 fleet though. 379 is due this fall which is #22 and #23 is the recently announced, new addition to the fleet. I'm not sure of the tail number for that one.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by azj
Not sure why they did the sale leasebacks, especially since it's usually done to raise cash, which HAL has plenty of right now. Perhaps the terms were more favorable than financing. HAL still owns, through financing, most of the 330 fleet though. 379 is due this fall which is #22 and #23 is the recently announced, new addition to the fleet. I'm not sure of the tail number for that one.
I sure hope I get one of the newer A/C from JFK in December! I'm wondering if you know if they've got a rhyme or reason for their A/C assignments?? It seems that the longer haul flights are usually done with the older(or maybe leased) A/C. I didn't look all the way into it but they could be all leased A/C on those longer flights. I would think they'd be using the newer A/C on longer hauls after a break in period for perhaps better fuel consumption rates-they have the lighter weight IFE screens for one example. Or maybe they have a power by the hour deal with RR for the engines? Or I could be all wrong and it's luck of the draw. Any insight would be appreciated for this Avgeek!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:57 pm
azj

I sure hope I get one of the newer A/C from JFK in December! I'm wondering if you know if they've got a rhyme or reason for their A/C assignments?? It seems that the longer haul flights are usually done with the older(or maybe leased) A/C. I didn't look all the way into it but they could be all leased A/C on those longer flights. I would think they'd be using the newer A/C on longer hauls after a break in period for perhaps better fuel consumption rates-they have the lighter weight IFE screens for one example. Or maybe they have a power by the hour deal with RR for the engines? Or I could be all wrong and it's luck of the draw. Any insight would be appreciated for this Avgeek!
Really, it will be the luck of the draw for you. There is no apparent rhyme or reason to the guest, but tail routing is usually done on the basis of maintenance needs. You're no more likely to get an older plane on a short route than you would a newer one on a long route. They all share the same configuration and all fly the entire network. There would be subtle differences between the newer and older, but none will affect your experience. Enjoy your flight.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by azj
Really, it will be the luck of the draw for you. There is no apparent rhyme or reason to the guest, but tail routing is usually done on the basis of maintenance needs. You're no more likely to get an older plane on a short route than you would a newer one on a long route. They all share the same configuration and all fly the entire network. There would be subtle differences between the newer and older, but none will affect your experience. Enjoy your flight.
Oh I most certainly will! Love their nonstop service from NY. One plane and into HNL with plenty of time to get an umbrella drink in my hand and watch the sunset! I'll hope to talk to you again when 379 enters the fleet. I took a look today-HA has a bunch of N numbers reserved but I don't know if they're older or newer N numbers that they're keeping on file. Some were like 284HA and up. It'll be interesting to see what they do there as well as what the names will be!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:45 pm
azj

Oh I most certainly will! Love their nonstop service from NY. One plane and into HNL with plenty of time to get an umbrella drink in my hand and watch the sunset! I'll hope to talk to you again when 379 enters the fleet. I took a look today-HA has a bunch of N numbers reserved but I don't know if they're older or newer N numbers that they're keeping on file. Some were like 284HA and up. It'll be interesting to see what they do there as well as what the names will be!
I believe the 2xxHA series are being reserved for the 321neo's. Lots of activity at the moment surrounding that new fleet and I'm sure they'll announce the 321neo concept as they put the final plans into place.

What will be interesting is to see what registration the 23rd 330 gets. It's kind of strange how the numbering went... they started with 380 and went to 399 skipping 387,394,397 and 398. Then they went to 370-379 skipping 371,372,376 and 377.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by azj
I believe the 2xxHA series are being reserved for the 321neo's. Lots of activity at the moment surrounding that new fleet and I'm sure they'll announce the 321neo concept as they put the final plans into place.

What will be interesting is to see what registration the 23rd 330 gets. It's kind of strange how the numbering went... they started with 380 and went to 399 skipping 387,394,397 and 398. Then they went to 370-379 skipping 371,372,376 and 377.
If you look at the numbers they skipped-they're registered to already in use aircraft. For example N377HA is a Cessna: https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N377HA
So unless HA can either persuade(or pay) the FAA to grant them those N numbers for fleet continuity or they pay the folks with the N numbers they want to re-register say N377HA or N376HA(a Piper reg'd in KY) they're up the proverbial creek. So I'm def interested in seeing what they'll do for #23!
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:12 am

Does anyone by chance know if the armrest against the window in either row 11 EC seat on the A330 from JFK-HNL goes up? I like the idea of all the extra legroom because I am 6'5, but for width purposes would also love to be able to put up that arm rest against the window. Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by DASBOS
Does anyone by chance know if the armrest against the window in either row 11 EC seat on the A330 from JFK-HNL goes up? I like the idea of all the extra legroom because I am 6'5, but for width purposes would also love to be able to put up that arm rest against the window. Thanks for any help.
I'm not sure 100% if it goes up but if you take a look at these two pics courtesy of The Design Air (some of the ONLY non-HA provided pics of EC online!) it sure does look like it's possible-your tray/screen could be both on the left armrest. I'll definitely be posting a detailed review in December but I can only speculate til then!

https://thedesignair.files.wordpress...2/p2213917.jpg
https://thedesignair.files.wordpress...2000&h=&crop=1

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 19, 2015 at 5:15 pm Reason: images too massive for viewing
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:42 pm
azj

Originally Posted by DASBOS
The arm rests at the windows are unable to be raised.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:39 am

HA Airbus A330-200 (332)

I could use some expert advice with selecting Economy Extra Comfort Seats for our OGG-JFK flight, reviews are mixed on seat guru and I'm torn between remaining seats 11H/G, 34A/B, 34H/J or 11D/E
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:43 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by mrstraveler
I could use some expert advice with selecting Economy Extra Comfort Seats for our OGG-JFK flight, reviews are mixed on seat guru and I'm torn between remaining seats 11H/G, 34A/B, 34H/J or 11D/E
I'd go for row 11. Particularly if you can get isle or window seats.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:03 am

11 H/G (double aisle) or 34HJ for sure. 11 will have the most room but I've seen videos of 34 and it's not that bad! When did they start JFK-OGG?? Or are you going JFK-HNL HNL-OGG?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:14 am

Thanks guys I booked the 11 H/G (double aisle).

11 H/G (double aisle) or 34HJ for sure. 11 will have the most room but I've seen videos of 34 and it's not that bad! When did they start JFK-OGG?? Or are you going JFK-HNL HNL-OGG?
Yes, 1.5hr layover...OGG-HNL-JFK. I reckon they should start a OGG-JFK non stop route

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 2, 2015 at 5:48 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:21 pm

Yes, 1.5hr layover...OGG-HNL-JFK. I reckon they should start a OGG-JFK non stop route
Maybe when they get the A330NEO's!

On another note, in dealing with HA today, a family member of mine noticed the itinerary for our December JFK-HNL trip has changed, adding about an hour onto the flight. I'm curious to see if they're slowing the plane, padding the schedule or just plain need the time!
Our previous schedule was:
Depart JFK-10:00
Arrive HNL-15:55 (last time it was ~1545 on the gate) flight time of 10:55
(In practice on flightaware it seems to be roughly 10:30-10:45 at the most)
Today on the app and the new confirmation it reads:
Depart JFK- 10:00a
Arrive HNL- 4:20p
Flight time 11:20! I hope they're just padding or maybe it's a time difference thing since HST is 5 hours behind in the winter!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.