Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Blocked first class seats on mainland to HI flights???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blocked first class seats on mainland to HI flights???

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2008, 5:00 pm

Programs: OnePass, HawaiianMiles, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, Amex MR, SPG, Hhonors
Hey What Happened?

I booked HA 27 from SEA to HNL in F before Aloha and ATA went out of business. At that time, I selected seats 1AB. After reading this thread, I went to hawaiianair.com to check on my reservation for August. I learned that not only has the time changed to an hour and fifteen minutes later, but my seat assignment has changed to 3HJ.

This will be my first time flying in F on HA. I know that the times do change, but I've never had my seat assignment change. Do you think I should call and complain? Will it do me any good? Are the seats that I have now any better or worse than the ones that I had before?

Last edited by getouttatown; May 29, 2008 at 5:01 pm Reason: clarifying
Old May 30, 2008, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by getouttatown
I booked HA 27 from SEA to HNL in F before Aloha and ATA went out of business. At that time, I selected seats 1AB. After reading this thread, I went to hawaiianair.com to check on my reservation for August. I learned that not only has the time changed to an hour and fifteen minutes later, but my seat assignment has changed to 3HJ.

This will be my first time flying in F on HA. I know that the times do change, but I've never had my seat assignment change. Do you think I should call and complain? Will it do me any good? Are the seats that I have now any better or worse than the ones that I had before?
It's not that the time changed, it's that they canceled flight 27 and combined you onto flight 21, yes?

Some argue 3HJ are the best seats in the F cabin.

From my perspective, it sounds like the worst part of the deal is that HA made no effort to notify you of the changes... Is it correct that they didn't?

Last edited by Ripper3785; May 30, 2008 at 11:37 pm
Old Jun 2, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: OnePass, HawaiianMiles, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, Amex MR, SPG, Hhonors
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
It's not that the time changed, it's that they canceled flight 27 and combined you onto flight 21, yes?

Some argue 3HJ are the best seats in the F cabin.

From my perspective, it sounds like the worst part of the deal is that HA made no effort to notify you of the changes... Is it correct that they didn't?

Yes. Your interpretation is absolutely correct. The worst part is that they did not notify me. However, if they moved me to the best seats in the house, how can I complain?

The time change doesn't bother me that much. I would have liked to have gone earlier, but I have almost come to expect that airlines will change the times on you.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:20 am

I booked first class seats SEA-HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL-SEA, and was able to select my seats at the time of booking for all of the flights and I have no STATUS with HA. This will be my first time on HA from the mainland.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
Originally Posted by YYC-HNL
I booked first class seats SEA-HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL-SEA, and was able to select my seats at the time of booking for all of the flights and I have no STATUS with HA. This will be my first time on HA from the mainland.
I have never had an issue with F-class seat assignments on booking via hawaiianair.com even before I had status with HA, except to LAS. It could be that they have comparatively more no-shows on this route -- many other airlines in LAS do -- so there's something crazy going on with seat assignments.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Does anyone know if a guarantee of F revenue exists from someone in LAS on Hawaiian
Airlines routes? This could account for the shadow seats. {Seats available but shadowed as occupied till boarding}
Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:00 pm

F Class window seats

I just booked F class leaving PDX in late april 2009, all window seats in F class we taken. I went online and look at the plane, we were the only ones in F class.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: UA, AS
When does HA release blocked First Class seats? At online check-in? Only at the airport?

I have 2 family members booked First Class OAK-OGG in a few weeks and there are no FC seats showing as available. Called HA and escalated to a supervisor and they assigned them 2 seats not together but HA is still selling 2 FC seats so I'm pretty sure 2 are still blocked.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Aug 12, 2015 at 10:29 am
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
When does HA release blocked First Class seats? At online check-in? Only at the airport?

I have 2 family members booked First Class OAK-OGG in a few weeks and there are no FC seats showing as available. Called HA and escalated to a supervisor and they assigned them 2 seats not together but HA is still selling 2 FC seats so I'm pretty sure 2 are still blocked.
I've never been able to see any rhyme or reason to what seats HA blocks for whom and when blocks might get released. Only constant is that employees and their friends and family tend to end up in choice seats.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by WrightHI
I've never been able to see any rhyme or reason to what seats HA blocks for whom and when blocks might get released. Only constant is that employees and their friends and family tend to end up in choice seats.
Sounds about right. I can see why with as many seats as they block. It's a family friendly, that is, friends and family friendly airline.

Seriously though, it seems crazy to me they would block seats from a paid first class ticket. A cheap coach ticket, yeah, I get it, pay to upgrade, but FC? It makes no sense to me. It's like they don't want the business.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, National EC Executive, UA & AAdvantage
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Sounds about right. I can see why with as many seats as they block. It's a family friendly, that is, friends and family friendly airline.

Seriously though, it seems crazy to me they would block seats from a paid first class ticket. A cheap coach ticket, yeah, I get it, pay to upgrade, but FC? It makes no sense to me. It's like they don't want the business.
Oh HA is notoriously "family friendly" and they are very visible about it, especially on interisland. They are the only airline that I have seen visibly move employees, non-revs and buddypass travelers to first or premium seat over a Platinum or Gold customer on the same flight. To me that is shameful. I am not being snobby or anything, but my business belief is you should offer those seats to elite level customers first...they achieved that level for a reason...all the $$$ they generate in revenues for HA. Non-rev is just that non-rev.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WrightHI
I've never been able to see any rhyme or reason to what seats HA blocks for whom and when blocks might get released.
Many tour companies commit to blocks of seats upfront to HA including First Class for interisland and Coach for International. There are several tour companies that do this, lets take for example a Haleakala Tour - some of the tour groups have first rights to the seats for tours from HNL and back - and they have a set time to release them. You'll see this especially on Maui and Hilo flights - and on Japan flights (for coach).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.