Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aloha Airlines Ceases All Passenger Operations Beginning April 1, 2008

Aloha Airlines Ceases All Passenger Operations Beginning April 1, 2008

Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Unhappy Aloha Airlines Ceases All Passenger Operations Beginning April 1, 2008

Confirmed via a recorded message when you call Aloha's reservation center at (808) 484-1111.

Aloha is ceasing operations after Monday, March 31st.

The automated recorded message on the reservation line states that you must contact another airline or your travel agent if you are traveling after March 31st or on March 31st.

This is a sad day.

__________________________________________________ ___
NOTES: Hawaiian Airlines is offering some assistance to Aloha flyers for some flights on Monday, March 31 and all flights on April 1, 2, and 3, 2008. . See: http://www.hawaiianair.com/Aboutus/P...ssistance.aspx

Press releases are available on Aloha Airlines' website: www.alohaair.com along with a FAQ

News releases are now available on most of Hawaii's news outlet websites

If you're holding AQ tickets currently, your best bet is to call your credit card company and get the ticket purchase refunded and book a new ticket on another inter-island carrier. Given capacity constraints, it's best to get this taken care of ASAP!

Per the AlohaPass Service Desk: Your miles are expired unless you're willing to travel either today (March 30th) or tomorrow (March 31st). Even redemptions on partner airlines will not be booked. Existing reservations on partner airlines should be valid, but the airlines (as per the FAQ above) urges you to reconfirm reservations via the partner airline.

If you're a First Hawaiian Bank Aloha AirAwards Visa card holder, see www.fhb.com for more details.

Pictures of Aloha Airlines' final flight, AQ261 from Kahului to Honolulu, available here: http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...arams=Itemnr=1

[Added by Moderator]

The following local newspapers may be good sources of up-to-date information:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap....dll/frontpage
http://www.starbulletin.com/

Last edited by slippahs; Apr 1, 2008 at 3:25 pm
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
This is sad indeed.

Does the shutdown pertain to only passenger operations? What's the word about cargo and contract ops? It looks like all the other interisland carriers will need to step it up to backfill AQ's lost capacity.

Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by asu-ua772
Does the shutdown pertain to only passenger operations? What's the word about cargo and contract ops? It looks like all the other interisland carriers will need to step it up to backfill AQ's lost capacity.
No word on cargo operations. The message only speaks of Trans-Pacific and inter-island operations. Guess we'll have to wait for the press release.

I guess go! finally got what it wanted, huh? The loss of AQ to me is like the loss of a lifetime friend. Plenty of good memories. I feel for the employees.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:07 pm
Suspended

A really good airline with lots of very nice folks. Hopefully they will be able to find new jobs soon since the HI economy seems to being doing OK.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA, WN, AS, CO, SPG, HGP, FPC
Aloha nui loa, a hui hou. They'll be missed.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Looks like they answer my questions posted above:

http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=8090803

Originally Posted by KHNL
Aloha Airlines has announced that it is shutting down its inter-island and transpacific passenger flights effective March 31st. Air cargo and contract services will continue. Effective immediatel, Aloha will stop selling tickets for travel beyond March 31, 2008.
*emphasis mine*
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

We're starting to see some news releases:
http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=8090803
http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/5168/76/
Originally Posted by KGMB9
Aloha Airlines announced today that it will be shutting down its inter-island and transpacific passenger flight operations. Aloha's last day of operations will be Monday, March 31, 2008. On that day, Aloha will operate its schedule with the exception of flights from Hawaii to the West Coast and flights from Orange County to Reno and Sacramento, and Oakland to Las Vegas.
Code-share partner United Airlines and other airlines are prepared to assist and accommodate Aloha's passengers who have been inconvenienced. For more information on United's accommodation options, contact United at 1-800-UNITED1 or www.united.com.
Passengers who do not wish to be re-accommodated by another airline should contact their travel agent or credit card company to request a refund.
Effective immediately, Aloha will stop selling tickets for travel beyond March 31, 2008. The shutdown of Aloha's passenger operations will affect about 1,900 employees. Aloha also announced that its air cargo and aviation services units will continue to operate as usual while the U.S. Bankruptcy Court seeks bids from potential buyers. On March 27, 2008, Saltchuk Resources, Inc., announced its intention to buy Aloha's air cargo business.
"This is an incredibly dark day for Hawaii," said David A. Banmiller, Aloha's president and chief executive officer. "Despite the groundswell of support from the community and our elected officials, we simply ran out of time to find a qualified buyer or secure continued financing for our passenger business. We had no choice but to take this action.
"We deeply regret the impact this will have on our dedicated employees who have made Aloha one of the best operating airlines in the country.
"Aloha Airlines was founded in 1946 to give Hawaii's people a choice in inter-island air transportation. Unfortunately, unfair competition has succeeded in driving us out of business, bringing to an end a 61-year-old company with a proud legacy of serving millions of travelers in the true spirit of Aloha.
"We realize that this comes as a devastating disappointment to our frequent flyers and our loyal business partners who have supported this company for many, many years."
(emphasis added)
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ING01/80330042
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
Confirmed via a recorded message when you call Aloha's reservation center at (808) 484-1111.

Aloha is ceasing operations after Monday, March 31st.

The automated recorded message on the reservation line states that you must contact another airline or your travel agent if you are traveling after March 31st or on March 31st.
I have inter island tickets for September - does any other airline honor their tickets? Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Elli
I have inter island tickets for September - does any other airline honor their tickets? Thanks.
You'll want to call Hawaiian and see if they have something in place for honoring your ticket. My guess is that nothing official has been set up yet to handle AQ tickets, but the earlier you call the better your chances are. Or, alternatively, call your credit card company and ask to have that ticket refunded and book a ticket on HA or another interisland carrier.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Blank

http://www.alohaairlines.com/ is, at the moment, blank white.

(Which makes it the best-looking airline web site in the world - but anyway!)
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DanTravels
http://www.alohaairlines.com/ is, at the moment, blank white.

(Which makes it the best-looking airline web site in the world - but anyway!)
It's up now. Has a link to HawaiianAirlines.com . with the text "Reservations assistance from the good people at: Hawaiian Airlines"

A shut-down FAQ is also up:
Q: Can I continue to redeem AlohaPass miles after March 31, 2008?

A: No, after March 31, 2008, the program will expire.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
Unfair?

Unfortunately, unfair competition has succeeded in driving us out of business, bringing to an end a 61-year-old company with a proud legacy of serving millions of travelers in the true spirit of Aloha.

Who is he refering to as unfair competition?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:25 pm
Suspended

FAQ from the web site

Customer FAQs

FOR ALOHA PASSENGERS WITH CONFIRMED RESERVATONS THROUGH MARCH 31, 2008

Q: Which flights will Aloha operate through March 31?

A:

Interisland: Aloha will operate all of its inter-island scheduled flights through March 31.

Trans-pacific: Aloha will operate all of its transpacific and mainland flights through March 30.

On March 31, all flights will operate with the exception of flights from Hawaii to the U.S. mainland, and flights from Orange County to Sacramento and Reno, and from Oakland to Las Vegas.

The flights that will not operate are:

AQ 482 Honolulu to Orange County and
Orange County to Reno
AQ 442 Honolulu to Oakland and
Oakland to Las Vegas
AQ 486 Lihue/Kona to Orange County
AQ 485 Kona/Lihue to San Diego
AQ 468 Maui to Sacramento
AQ 474 Maui to Oakland
AQ 476 Maui to San Diego
AQ 484 Maui to Orange County and
Orange County to Sacramento

Q: Can I still purchase a ticket or make a reservation for travel on Aloha through March 31?

A: Yes.

For Aloha Passengers With Confirmed Reservations For Travel After March 31, 2008

Q: If I have a confirmed reservation with Aloha for travel after March 31, what do I do?

Aloha is working with code-share partner United Airlines and other airlines who are prepared to assist you.

For more information about United’s accommodation options, contact United at 1-800-UNITED1 or go to their website at www.United.com.

Q: Can I get a refund?

A: Contact your travel agent or credit card company to request a refund.

Q: What if I paid by check or cash can I still get a refund?

A: You can file a claim with the Bankruptcy Court.

Q: Can I continue to use my Aloha AirAwards credit card?

A: Yes. Your AirAwards card is still good for all purchases.

Q: If I have already redeemed AlohaPass Miles for United Airlines travel and it has already been ticketed, is it valid?

A: Yes and we recommend you contact United Airlines at 1-800-UNITED1 to reconfirm your reservation.

Q: Can I continue to redeem AlohaPass miles after March 31, 2008?

A: No, after March 31, 2008, the program will expire.

Q: If I have already redeemed AlohaPass miles for a hotel stay or car rental, etc. is my travel award still valid?

A: If you received a confirmation it should be valid. We recommend you contact the hotel or car rental company to confirm your reservation.

Q: If I booked travel on United Airlines through the Aloha Airlines Web site, will my travel still be honored by United?

A: Yes. If you have already been ticketed and we recommend you contact United Airlines at 1-800-UNITED1 to reconfirm your reservation.

Q: If I booked a ticket on Aloha’s website for a flight operated by United is my ticket still valid?

A: Yes. If you have already been ticketed and we recommend you contact United Airlines at 1-800-UNITED1 to reconfirm your reservation.

Q: Who do I contact if owed a refund or baggage claim settlement with Aloha Airlines?

A: You can file your claim with the Bankruptcy Court.

Q: What happens if I booked future travel on United Airlines using my AlohaPass miles is my reservation still valid?

Aloha Air Cargo

Q: Is Aloha’s air cargo service still operating?

A: Yes.

Q: How can shippers get information?

A: Air cargo shippers can continue to call Aloha cargo locations at Hawaii airports.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If I had listened to cblaisd maybe I'd have that interisland ticket I wanted to book on WP using my AQ miles. On the phone with AlohaPass right now, but I don't think I'll ever get through.

Originally Posted by loboclone
Who is he refering to as unfair competition?
go! for allegedly using proprietary information. Read more about it here:
http://www.alohaairlines.com/about/p...ode=show&ak=27

HONOLULU In a suit filed today by Aloha Airlines, Inc., and Aloha Airgroup, Inc., in state Circuit Court, Aloha said Mesa Air Group, Inc., received confidential information as a potential investor in Aloha and used it improperly to enter Hawaiis inter-island market with intent to drive Aloha out of business.

Aloha alleges in its suit that Mesa used Alohas proprietary information to unethically compete in the Hawaii market by offering air fares that failed to cover Mesas costs. Mesas Chief Executive Officer Jonathan Ornstein has stated more than once that Mesas Go! can fly empty for five years with the profits from Mesas Mainland operations. This indicates that Mesa is not covering its costs and is ultimately motivated to offer unrealistic fares with intent to drive out competition from the Hawaii market.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 30, 2008 at 8:52 pm
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
The web site no longer refers to "good people at" Hawaiian, and there's a link to United (smart!) as well.

Hawaiian's site is not showing any added frequencies yet, but I'll be checking later to see whether any of the ones N830MH predicted in the old thread show up. I'd be very happy to have some more flights ITO-HNL!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.