Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

News Stories Regarding the Sleeping Pilots of Go! Flt 1002 (2/13/2008)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred

KGMB9 Breaking News @ 6:00: (I just caught the last half of this developing story):

A go! inter-island flight overflew ITO by 15 miles today or yesterday before the pilots realized they were past their destination, and had to turn around and correct the mistake. It is thought they may have been asleep or otherwise distracted. An investigation will hopefully shed light on the unusual occurrence: unusual on such a short flight in daylight hours.

Maybe more at 10:00.

Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by kaukau
KGMB9 Breaking News @ 6:00: (I just caught the last half of this developing story):

A go! inter-island flight overflew ITO by 15 miles today or yesterday before the pilots realized they were past their destination, and had to turn around and correct the mistake. It is thought they may have been asleep or otherwise distracted. An investigation will hopefully shed light on the unusual occurrence: unusual on such a short flight in daylight hours.

Maybe more at 10:00.

That's absolutely ridiculous. Good thing these guys weren't in a crowded airspace...
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA-Plat DL-Plat (did status match on DL before losing EXP on AA)
KGMB reporting FAA investigating 2-13 Go! Flt 1002

Anyone else catch the KGMB report 6pm news - saying FAA is now investigating 2-13 Go! Flight 1002 HNL-ITO and that pilots have some explaining to do as ATC couldn't contact pilots for 20(?) long minutes; and, that the flight flew past Hilo before turning back to land....
With speculation from aviation "expert" Peter Forman.... the pilots might have fallen asleep? Or had some other trouble?
And a screenshot of the radar track of the flight (you have to look carefully to see that the track ends just south of Hilo)
See Flightaware Flight track
Most of the historical Flightaware tracks show Go #1002 flights making it only to Haleakala, Maui.... and nothing really unusual in the flight depart/arrival times - arrival = 9:54am.
However, Flightstats.com (registration & login required to get historical info) indicates the last estimated runway arrival time was 9:54am, but actual runway wheels down time was 10:12am......
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
It would boggle my mind that two pilots can fall asleep at the wheel. I think something else might be up. Can't be good PR for go!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vrichard
Anyone else catch the KGMB report 6pm news - saying FAA is now investigating 2-13 Go! Flight 1002 HNL-ITO and that pilots have some explaining to do as ATC couldn't contact pilots for 20(?) long minutes; and, that the flight flew past Hilo before turning back to land....
With speculation from aviation "expert" Peter Forman.... the pilots might have fallen asleep? Or had some other trouble?

Pretty unusual, to say the least. More at Channel 9 News at 10:00, I suspect.

I wonder if any pax were alerting the FA "Hey, you know we just blew past ITO? Wanna go knock on the hatch and wake 'em up in there?"

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 19, 2008 at 8:24 am
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:37 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by slippahs
It would boggle my mind that two pilots can fall asleep at the wheel. I think something else might be up. Can't be good PR for go!
It's happened before. http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...737464,00.html

Perhaps the pilots were busy discussing the self-made x rated video that was filmed on a go! flight?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:40 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I just assume they were making up for all the HNL-ITO flights that go! has canceled with no warning to the passengers.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:40 am

This will be interesting.. frankly it would not surprise me on the mainland, at Mesa airlines, given some of their scheduling tactics (look up 'continuous duty overnight' some time); I am guessing, however, that due to the limited nature of go (and single time zone to deal with) they do not have such brutal schedules.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Citabria
This will be interesting.. frankly it would not surprise me on the mainland, at Mesa airlines, given some of their scheduling tactics (look up 'continuous duty overnight' some time); I am guessing, however, that due to the limited nature of go (and single time zone to deal with) they do not have such brutal schedules.
I think it would be a stretch to say that Mesa doesn't screw it's go! pilots but it does all the others. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Here's the story from the KGMB9 website: http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/4199/40/

And it's just been picked up by the Aero-News Network: http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...c-fb153946086f

Last edited by kaukau; Feb 19, 2008 at 3:07 pm
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
There's nothing wrong with switching on the autopilot and taking a 20-25 minute nap... well, unless you do so 10 minutes into a 30-minute flight.

I wonder what the FA(s) thought, or said. "Ladies and gentlemen, on our right, you'll see the Hilo airport, where we should be landing right now."
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by DanTravels
There's nothing wrong with switching on the autopilot and taking a 20-25 minute nap... well, unless you do so 10 minutes into a 30-minute flight.

I wonder what the FA(s) thought, or said. "Ladies and gentlemen, on our right, you'll see the Hilo airport, where we should be landing right now."
Do Mesa/go! FA's ever narrate anyway?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
This Mesa/go! incident has been getting the attention of all the national news networks throughout today.

Wonder if the recorders will have anything pertinent on it---if they haven't pulled them out until now, the entire incident/timeline in question might have been recorded over, but I'm not so sure about that.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 11:18 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I want to thank you folks for giving me something to talk to my sister about when I call her this weekend!
Old Feb 21, 2008, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by asu-ua772
This Mesa/go! incident has been getting the attention of all the national news networks throughout today.

Wonder if the recorders will have anything pertinent on it---if they haven't pulled them out until now, the entire incident/timeline in question might have been recorded over, but I'm not so sure about that.
I doubt they were pulled and I'd think they would have taped over long ago.

Pinnacle 3701 (CRJ-200) only had 30 minutes of CVR recordings on it if my quick research is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.