Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Standby for Hawaiian Airlines Inter-island Flights?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:04 am
Original Poster

I am currently scheduled to arrive in HNL too late to connect onward to Kona. Thus, my Hawaiian flights are for the next morning.
If I can standby on NW and get into HNL earlier to catch a sameday flight to Kona, will Hawaiian let me standby a day early without an additional fee?

These are a mix-match of award and purchased tickets.

Is Slippahs in the house?
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
With a same-day standby, you might have a shot at getting away with no fee, but unfortunately, they've hit me with both the $15 and $40 fee to same-day standby on earlier flights (Aloha has the same policy).

I've checked numerous times on day-before-departure standby and have found that, unless you get a very very nice agent, they'll hit you with whatever the change fee is on the interisland ticket and maybe the difference of fare.

Was your HA ticket a purchased one or an award? If an award, you might consider reissuing a new ticket to the earlier date (if you know you'll get on the earlier NW flight).

IMHO, it's a risk not worth taking unless you take a careful look at the loads for both the HA and NW flight.

Good luck! aloha

(p.s. as always, there are many others who are much more knowledgeable than me -- please feel free to chime in )

p.p.s. If it's a NW award, you could probably get the leg to Kona under the standard award routing by rebooking the award ticket...
Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Question Flying standby on HA?

I am interested in showing up early for a LAX - HNL flight and trying to get on an earlier flight by flying standby. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it hard to do? The representative on the phone for HA said that it should be no problem.

If that is really the case, here is my next situation. I used NW miles to fly interisland HNL - LIH and if I get that earlier mainland flight, I am hoping to get on a flight a day prior to my ticketed reservation. NW wants to charge me $50 per person to change my ticket to the day earlier, but the HA representative says I can again just fly standby and take my chances that their will be a couple open seats. I can even fly standby a day before my reservation?? Whoa that would be great!! Anyone try something like this before? Mahalo for your experiences!
Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There are a lot of posts regarding standing by for inter-island flight on Hawaiian. A search would bring them up.

Everything depends on seat availability for both your LAX-HNL and HNL-LIH flights. To check loads on Hawaiian flights go here http://flyaow.com/classamex.htm and see if there are a lot of seats left for sale on the flight you wish to take. If you've got zeros across, it might be a long shot, 9's across and you're looking good. If you stand-by for an earlier flight with a tight connection, your bags would probably not make the connection (depends on how little or long you spend connecting at HNL) and you may need to wait or return to LIH to pick up your bags.

If you do end up taking an earlier LAX-HNL flight, don't exit security, proceed to the nearest LIH flight and see if you can get on (or you may get lucky at the gate at LAX).

Again, a search will pull up much more info on this. Good luck!

aloha
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Exclamation Consolidated "Which Airline to Choose for Inter-Island Travel?" Thread [Merged]

Is there really any difference among, Hawaiian, Aloha and Mesa-Go for a flight between Honolulu and Hilo?

The prices are the same and was curious if I should specifically fly a particular airline.

Thanks.

Rich

[Moderator's Note - as of March, 2008, Aloha Airlines is no longer operating flights]

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 14, 2008 at 3:47 pm
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:17 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
There's recent discussion in the following thread (post #5 and on):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=684640

My own vote is that HA is far better than Aloha and Go!.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks. I didn't even realize there was a Hawaii based airline forum

Rich
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I can't imagine anyone preferring Aloha other than people in mileage programs that have Aloha as a partner. Hawaiian all the way!
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:19 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Even with their highly annoying secondary security screening selection criteria, I still vote for Hawaiian - clean, modern and comfortable 717 jets, friendly crews and that refreshing artificial POG
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I can't imagine anyone preferring Aloha other than people in mileage programs that have Aloha as a partner. Hawaiian all the way!
For me, choosing Aloha is a no brainer....
~~They fly non-stops to Maui & Kona from SNA (15 minutes from my front door)
~~They often have good fare deals (which is the only time I go)
~~They have done a fine job the three or so times I have flown them
~~We get UA miles
~~And...IIRC, you have to connect thru HNL to get to Maui or Kona using Hawaiian (from LAX)

In the past we have flown ATA from LAX, AA from LAX, and Hawaiian from ONT. But our preference now is really Aloha because of how easy it is to get to & depart from SNA.

Bottom line is convenience and price for us.....which is also the criteria for inter-island flights.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The mainland experience of Hawaiian and Aloha versus the inter-island experience is a bit different, IMO. AQ's old, venerable 737-200 (as opposed to the newer 737-700 they use for transpacific flights) are a little long in the tooth and worn out for my taste, especially when compared to HA's 717s.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The mainland experience of Hawaiian and Aloha versus the inter-island experience is a bit different, IMO. AQ's old, venerable 737-200 (as opposed to the newer 737-700 they use for transpacific flights) are a little long in the tooth and worn out for my taste, especially when compared to HA's 717s.
@:-)
Old Apr 26, 2007, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Moving to the Hawaii-based Airlines forum.

-slippahs, Hawaii forum co-mod
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
The upside of the $19 sale for people with UA miles could be more people flying HA, leaving seats available for X inventory on Aloha.

Wish me luck in redeeming for these flights (HNL-ITO ITO-LIH open jaw) on AQ; it works out at almost $200 for two, vs. 10k dormant miles about to be 'expired' by UA.

I'm just worried that with the 'call back in 18hrs' runaround, that it won't work out. Can only try...
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BiziBB
The upside of the $19 sale for people with UA miles could be more people flying HA, leaving seats available for X inventory on Aloha.
Hmm... But then why would anyone want to use UA miles to redeem an X class award when the flights are $19?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.