Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Experience with go! Airlines" thread

Consolidated "Experience with go! Airlines" thread

Old Jul 31, 2006, 2:20 am

[QUOTE=DanTravels]
Aloha's "Welcome Aboard" page says car seats and strollers are accepted as checked luggage but not as carry-on luggage, and I didn't see anything specific about gate-checking them.

FYI:
I have been allowed to gate check strollers and car seats when boarding.

FYI:
OGG security check point.
Just a heads up, TSA screeners are starting to send passengers back to the airlines if they have oversize carry-on bags or too many hand carry items to have them checked in as baggage. I heard the reason for this is that it slows down the screening process if passengers have more hand carry bags then allowed.

Aloha

Last edited by mctrip; Jul 31, 2006 at 2:31 am
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:04 pm

As far as the gate checking strollers business goes (LOVED the unscientific comparison!) - it was the skycap in HNL that initially told us that we could not gate check the stroller. Since there were enough of us to keep her busy in the meantime, one member of our party hopped into the ticket area and asked one of the ticket agents who confirmed that they would not gate check a stroller. In Maui, it was the ticket agent at the check in desk who also told us to have the stroller checked in with TSA there, as it could not be gate checked. (We've flown on Aloha as well, and have gate checked the stroller with them with no problems.)

My (adult) brother and I were the only ones that flew back on go! (the rest of the family flew to the mainland direct from OGG), and the only carryons we had were one backpack each, and three bags of Krispy Kremes. So it's not like we were loaded down with stuff, but it was still a major PIA to have to carry my child through the airport to get to the gate.

I'd be happy to send in a letter to go!'s customer service department. I do have the name of the F/A on the second flight - they may just have to look up the name of the woman from the flight out.

Live and learn!

(kaukau - I apologize for my cluelessness - what airline is WP?)
Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:11 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by CourtCourt

(kaukau - I apologize for my cluelessness - what airline is WP?)

Hi, CourtCourt! WP is Island Air! I fly the JHM-HNL route, and love it!!! Aloha! www.islandair.com

Last edited by kaukau; Jul 31, 2006 at 6:17 pm
Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by kaukau
Hi, CourtCourt! WP is Island Air! I fly the JHM-HNL route, and love it!!! Aloha! www.islandair.com
We'll have to give them a try on one of our next hops! I'll have to make sure to take some Dramamine beforehand (my stomach isn't a big fan of small aircraft), but I've heard great things about them, so we'll give 'em a shot. Thanks for the tip!
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by CourtCourt
On the flight over, the flight attendant requested verbal (as in, a nod of the head wasn't acceptable) agreement from everyone in the exit rows, that they understood their jobs during an emergency, after she gave them a thorough spiel of what they'd have to do.
I've seen the same on major airlines too. Mostly US Airways/America West as thats what most of my recent flying has been with.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
I've seen the same on major airlines too. Mostly US Airways/America West as thats what most of my recent flying has been with.
It is an FAA requirement, since you must be able to verbally instruct people in the case of an accident.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've had this for about the last year with AA, also.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA, HA regular member, HH, HGP, SPG, Prince Preferred, Budget Fast Break
yes do try WP!

CourtCourt,

I have to agree with kaukau wholeheartedly to try WP. I had wanted to for awhile and finally did to JHM (Kapalua/West Maui) in Jan. and again in May. AWESOME service (and I've flown with UA and was a P.Plat. with HA for two years), I even commented to the gate agent that they were the friendliest airline I had flown. The f/a's on all of my flights have been great. My friends live in West Maui so this is an easy airport for them to pick me up at. You can't beat flying in and out of the commuter terminal at HNL either. I'm spoiled. Oh and you should check out the view from JHM, it's the best of any airport I know of. I tried go! last weekend from OGG to HNL. It was ok, just ok. LOL, I found the plane a little small for me, 6'2", 245, and had to duck to get into the airplane. The flight was full and I'm just grateful it was a short flight.

BUT, do try WP.

AQ,
FlyboyHNL
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:48 pm

Gotcha. I've just never seen it on an interisland flight before. I think she was just an overly by-the-book FA (again, also never received an infant life jacket, or specific take off/landing instructions for my child - interisland or otherwise), while the other one was....not.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aloha
CourtCourt, dont waste your time contacting go! Nothing will happen but business as usual at Mesa. Send your letter to the editor of the Star Bulletin [email protected] and also don't forget the Advertiser [email protected]

The rest of us airline employees are very sorry Mesa was so un-professional with you and your child.

Originally Posted by skierbri10
I would like to get some names of the F/A's if you got them. Also, I would appreciate it if you could send a letter stating all this to the go! customer service dept. This is totally unacceptable. BTW you should be able to gate check your stroller, whoever said that needs more training. Send the letter to:

go! Customer Care
Attn: Jeannie Poncho
300 Rodgers Blvd. #23
Honolulu, HI 96819

Last edited by slippahs; Aug 2, 2006 at 12:29 am Reason: Moderator edit: off-topic as per the Flyertalk Rules & Guidelines
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:30 pm

Programs: OnePass, GoldPoints Elite, ErrorPlan, Star Gold, United Premier Exec, Starwood Gold
what are you afraid of? That go! is actually pushing your company back into bankruptcy?

well this is life. Its called the "Southwest" effect and its tarnished yields all over the country, and its Hawaii's turn for affordable airfares. You guys need to swallow this pill and learn to be more competitive, just as EVERY airline on the mainland has learned to do and deal with "low cost" carriers.

Last edited by slippahs; Aug 1, 2006 at 11:13 pm Reason: Moderator edit: off-topic/personal attack per Flyertalk Rules & Guidelines
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by BrokesiliaFlyer
well this is life. Its called the "Southwest" effect and its tarnished yields all over the country, and its Hawaii's turn for affordable airfares. You guys need to swallow this pill and learn to be more competitive, just as EVERY airline on the mainland has learned to do and deal with "low cost" carriers.
... and thats why our airline industry in the United States is in a total wreck. US Airlines are no longer able to compete effectively in other world markets. Ever looked at Boeing 787 orders? How many US airlines have enough money to buy the latest and greatest compared to other world airlines? NWA last year shed a lot of new aircraft opting to retain older aircraft that were already paid for.

US airlines are for the first time in history exploring foreign ownership possibilities. This is all the rotten fruits of airline de-regulation. Of course the consumer saves big time, but how far will this "McDonaldization" of the industry go? Don't keep blabbing about this "affordable airfare" BS that Mesa keeps regurgitating. That just fuels the fire to consumers who believe they should be getting air fares cheaper and cheaper when ecnomonically, it just isn't possible until you've put all your employees on federal minimum wage!

And as far as wages go... it's basic leadership: take care of your people, and your people will take care of you. If you pay quality wages, you will attract and retain quality employees whom are able to think and organize effectively resulting in professional service. Otherwise, you got yourself the scraps.

I went to go!'s Job Fair last spring at the Ala Moana Hotel. It was a complete chaotic mess. Mesa employees had no organization, there were no signs directing people, and the result was mass confusion. Applicants were waiting in wrong lines for hours only to be told that they needed to wait yet again because they had missed some step in the process. Piss poor planning leads to piss poor performance. Again, I take notice of the quality of the employees.

Mesa employees did not even learn how to properly pronounce the Hawaiian Island/City names. Yet, they made sure to give us an over-the-top "Aloha!" How embarassing.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hal717200
... and thats why our airline industry in the United States is in a total wreck. US Airlines are no longer able to compete effectively in other world markets. Ever looked at Boeing 787 orders? How many US airlines have enough money to buy the latest and greatest compared to other world airlines? NWA last year shed a lot of new aircraft opting to retain older aircraft that were already paid for.

US airlines are for the first time in history exploring foreign ownership possibilities. This is all the rotten fruits of airline de-regulation. Of course the consumer saves big time, but how far will this "McDonaldization" of the industry go? Don't keep blabbing about this "affordable airfare" BS that Mesa keeps regurgitating. That just fuels the fire to consumers who believe they should be getting air fares cheaper and cheaper when ecnomonically, it just isn't possible until you've put all your employees on federal minimum wage!

And as far as wages go... it's basic leadership: take care of your people, and your people will take care of you. If you pay quality wages, you will attract and retain quality employees whom are able to think and organize effectively resulting in professional service. Otherwise, you got yourself the scraps.

I went to go!'s Job Fair last spring at the Ala Moana Hotel. It was a complete chaotic mess. Mesa employees had no organization, there were no signs directing people, and the result was mass confusion. Applicants were waiting in wrong lines for hours only to be told that they needed to wait yet again because they had missed some step in the process. Piss poor planning leads to piss poor performance. Again, I take notice of the quality of the employees.

Mesa employees did not even learn how to properly pronounce the Hawaiian Island/City names. Yet, they made sure to give us an over-the-top "Aloha!" How embarassing.
I don't know why those who are convinced that go!/Mesa is a terrible operation are so emotional about it. Just fly another airline. If go!/Mesa is as bad as you say it is, it won't be around very long.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:12 pm

Now, back to the story, people who have a problem should take it up with the customer care office and if nothing gets done let us flyertalkers know.

Last edited by slippahs; Aug 1, 2006 at 11:09 pm Reason: Moderator edit: off-topic per Flyertalk Rules & Guidelines
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:21 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Sorry folks, we're going to take a quick time out on this thread to do some housekeeping.

Let's all try and take a deep breath and Live Aloha, ok?

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian
Co-Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.