Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Experience with go! Airlines" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Experience with go! Airlines" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2006, 1:38 am

Programs: OnePass, GoldPoints Elite, ErrorPlan, Star Gold, United Premier Exec, Starwood Gold
I'm still waiting for the "OH MY GOD THEY CANCELLED THEIR FIRST FLIGHT THREAD" as they had their first one recently, courtesy of a sick flight attendant.

*waits for story in the Hilo newspaper*
Old Jul 18, 2006, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by BrokesiliaFlyer
I'm still waiting for the "OH MY GOD THEY CANCELLED THEIR FIRST FLIGHT THREAD" as they had their first one recently, courtesy of a sick flight attendant.

*waits for story in the Hilo newspaper*
Interesting. I do know that an article was written in the Honolulu Star Bulletin in 2004 citing Governor Linda Lingle's concern over Island Air's decreased performance. A newspaper article is not that far off the mark if this becomes a regular problem that affects our island community. Aloha.

http://starbulletin.com/2004/07/15/business/story3.html
Old Jul 18, 2006, 3:18 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BrokesiliaFlyer
... *waits for story in the Hilo newspaper*
Me too! Maybe if you also contacted them?
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:04 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Quick call to buddy at Mesa --- 99.9% completion rate -- only one cancelled flight -- their ontime performance is hovering around 90%.

Asked about the Hilo flight, individual knew nothing about it -- commented that if the CRJ cargo net is not properly stowed, bags CAN fall against door and prevent it from being opened from the outside, requiring maintenance to come over and fix it. Said this happens more frequently on the CRJ 700 and 900s though.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Quick call to buddy at Mesa --- 99.9% completion rate -- only one cancelled flight -- their ontime performance is hovering around 90%.
That jives pretty well with the flight tracking site's info.

But when they're late, they're late.

I'm still waiting to see if ski has any info for us "from the horse's mouth" since he/she seems to know a lot about Go!
Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by DanTravels
That jives pretty well with the flight tracking site's info.

But when they're late, they're late.

I'm still waiting to see if ski has any info for us "from the horse's mouth" since he/she seems to know a lot about Go!
This is what I have:

Total Completion Factor for 7/13/06 -- 100.0%

Total Completion Factor Month to Date -- 99.9%

Arrival within 14 (A:14) for 7/13/06 -- 93.5%
Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skierbri10
This is what I have:

Total Completion Factor for 7/13/06 -- 100.0%

Total Completion Factor Month to Date -- 99.9%

Arrival within 14 (A:14) for 7/13/06 -- 93.5%
Thanks. But what I meant (my original question a page or so back) was whether you had any more info about the 2 days earlier this month where the last HNL-ITO flight of the night arrived very late (00:30ish one night and 23:30ish the other). There were reports (in this thread) of pax not being able to get their bags and whatnot, and I was hoping you might have enough information to be able to confirm or deny.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by DanTravels
Thanks. But what I meant (my original question a page or so back) was whether you had any more info about the 2 days earlier this month where the last HNL-ITO flight of the night arrived very late (00:30ish one night and 23:30ish the other). There were reports (in this thread) of pax not being able to get their bags and whatnot, and I was hoping you might have enough information to be able to confirm or deny.

Thanks again.
Nah, sorry I don't have any more info on that. Been pretty busy lately, just slipped my mind. I will see if I can find anything out.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skierbri10
Nah, sorry I don't have any more info on that. Been pretty busy lately, just slipped my mind. I will see if I can find anything out.
Thanks!

Busy is good, I guess.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:18 pm

Thumbs down Next time, we'll GO! on Hawaiian Airlines...

Took a quickie trip to Maui last week with some visiting family, and decided it was a good time to give go! a shot. (That and I couldn't catch the same discount on Hawaiian; was not possible on the days I wanted to travel.)

Was traveling with three adult family members and my 13-month old daughter. I am used to having the option to check her carseat at the gate (but no biggie checking it as baggage), but have never had to check her stroller as baggage, and been told that it absolutely cannot be gate checked. (I've also never flown any of the smaller interisland companies before, but HAVE flown with her on the same size commuter jets on the mainland, and was always able to gate check her stroller.) Having to carry a 13-month old through Maui's airport with no A/C and tons of Krispy Kremes (I was threatened by most of my friends with horrible things if I didn't bring back donuts!) is NOT an experience I'd EVER like to relive.

On the flight over, the flight attendant requested verbal (as in, a nod of the head wasn't acceptable) agreement from everyone in the exit rows, that they understood their jobs during an emergency, after she gave them a thorough spiel of what they'd have to do. She also gave me a special infant life jacket, and a special evacuation instruction card for it, and told me that she needed to be on my lap, facing forward, during takeoff and landing. This kid has traveled more in her life than a lot of people MY age (we're talking an average of a flight every three months, and two cruises), and I've never received a special life jacket or instructions for takeoff/landing, on any airline, but whatever.

The safety instructions are set at so low of a volume that you can't actually make out what they are saying. I find it comical that they tell you when you land that your luggage will be available on the tarmac next to the plane (and even remark on the recording, "Wow! That's service!"), but we actually had to retrieve them from baggage claim both times.

On the flight home, after the safety recording/demonstration, the flight attendant informed us in an EXTREMELY harsh tone that if we needed to use the oxygen, we were NOT to hyperventilate, because if we did, he did not CARE, because he didn't have time to resuscitate you until we landed. Went on a mini-tirade about that for a good five minutes. My brother and I looked at each other and said we'd share one if one of us hyperventilated!

No special infant life jacket or instructions then. No offer of in-flight drink service (not that we'd pay for it, but still...) During takeoff, we'd maybe been airborne for 15-20 seconds, still at a serious angle and climbing in altitude, when the FA decided he was done with his seat and seatbelt, I guess mostly because his pen had started traveling down the aisle, retrived the pen, and then we watched him teeter and totter in the galley area until we leveled off.

Upon landing, people who had moved from the front of the plane to the rear (because we had a weight distribution issue), were trying to remember which overhead bin they had placed their items in. One of the overhead bins is marked for flight attendants only, but when you are just looking for your stuff, you don't really notice that. The FA SLAMMED his hand down on the bin before it even opened (and my daughter, who has never cried on ANY flight, was startled so much she started to WAIL) and gave these people the nastiest LOOK I have seen in my life.

Add all this to the fact that when I initially booked my tickets, I received an email confirmation that said that I needed to call go! to confirm that it went through, and when I called them, they told me to call back in 15 minutes, at which time they were no longer taking phone calls (I'm assuming I wasn't the only person with that problem), and it took four days to determine that our flights were in fact booked, I will fly Hawaiian on future interisland trips.

I'll take the 5am departure, as I live directly across from the airport, to get the discount, if I have to. They're worth it.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:44 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Wow, CourtCourt. That's what I call a well-authored rePortPort!!! Psycho bitter f.a's creep me out like a middle seat on a 6 hour flight, yeah? You wanna meet some NICE f.a's? WP. No foolin'. WP has such nice f.a's. Don't forget to try going i.i. on WP sometime. HA & WP for me! WP has Express Check - their version of gate check - last on, first off. Works sweet with strollers.

Last edited by kaukau; Jul 31, 2006 at 12:15 am
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CourtCourt
I am used to having the option to check her carseat at the gate (but no biggie checking it as baggage), but have never had to check her stroller as baggage, and been told that it absolutely cannot be gate checked. (I've also never flown any of the smaller interisland companies before, but HAVE flown with her on the same size commuter jets on the mainland, and was always able to gate check her stroller.)
That does sound odd... but I looked all over www.iflygo.com, even the contract of carriage, and the only thing I think they might mention as gate-checkable is wheelchairs. Car seats and strollers are accepted as checked luggage - that's about all they say. And I'd agree, regional jets usually gate-check a LOT of things.

Hawaiian actually has "Can I check my stroller/car seat at the gate?" right in the FAQ. (The answer is yes, of course - in fact, if you don't have other carry-ons and can fit them in the overhead or under the seat in front of you, they say you can even carry them on!)

Aloha's "Welcome Aboard" page says car seats and strollers are accepted as checked luggage but not as carry-on luggage, and I didn't see anything specific about gate-checking them. Sounds like HA may be the inter-island carrier of choice for the stroller-pushing set, from a thoroughly unscientific comparison of web sites.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:19 am

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Add all this to the fact that when I initially booked my tickets, I received an email confirmation that said that I needed to call go! to confirm that it went through, and when I called them, they told me to call back in 15 minutes, at which time they were no longer taking phone calls (I'm assuming I wasn't the only person with that problem), and it took four days to determine that our flights were in fact booked, I will fly Hawaiian on future interisland trips.
That's weird.
Can anybody confirm that go! Reservations is being handled by the Mesa gurus in Farmington, NM, or are there local res agents handling these calls?
Old Jul 31, 2006, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by asu-ua772
That's weird.
Can anybody confirm that go! Reservations is being handled by the Mesa gurus in Farmington, NM, or are there local res agents handling these calls?
Local agents are handling the calls.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 1:08 am

Took a quickie trip to Maui last week with some visiting family, and decided it was a good time to give go! a shot. (That and I couldn't catch the same discount on Hawaiian; was not possible on the days I wanted to travel.)

Was traveling with three adult family members and my 13-month old daughter. I am used to having the option to check her carseat at the gate (but no biggie checking it as baggage), but have never had to check her stroller as baggage, and been told that it absolutely cannot be gate checked. (I've also never flown any of the smaller interisland companies before, but HAVE flown with her on the same size commuter jets on the mainland, and was always able to gate check her stroller.) Having to carry a 13-month old through Maui's airport with no A/C and tons of Krispy Kremes (I was threatened by most of my friends with horrible things if I didn't bring back donuts!) is NOT an experience I'd EVER like to relive.

On the flight over, the flight attendant requested verbal (as in, a nod of the head wasn't acceptable) agreement from everyone in the exit rows, that they understood their jobs during an emergency, after she gave them a thorough spiel of what they'd have to do. She also gave me a special infant life jacket, and a special evacuation instruction card for it, and told me that she needed to be on my lap, facing forward, during takeoff and landing. This kid has traveled more in her life than a lot of people MY age (we're talking an average of a flight every three months, and two cruises), and I've never received a special life jacket or instructions for takeoff/landing, on any airline, but whatever.

The safety instructions are set at so low of a volume that you can't actually make out what they are saying. I find it comical that they tell you when you land that your luggage will be available on the tarmac next to the plane (and even remark on the recording, "Wow! That's service!"), but we actually had to retrieve them from baggage claim both times.

On the flight home, after the safety recording/demonstration, the flight attendant informed us in an EXTREMELY harsh tone that if we needed to use the oxygen, we were NOT to hyperventilate, because if we did, he did not CARE, because he didn't have time to resuscitate you until we landed. Went on a mini-tirade about that for a good five minutes. My brother and I looked at each other and said we'd share one if one of us hyperventilated!

No special infant life jacket or instructions then. No offer of in-flight drink service (not that we'd pay for it, but still...) During takeoff, we'd maybe been airborne for 15-20 seconds, still at a serious angle and climbing in altitude, when the FA decided he was done with his seat and seatbelt, I guess mostly because his pen had started traveling down the aisle, retrived the pen, and then we watched him teeter and totter in the galley area until we leveled off.

Upon landing, people who had moved from the front of the plane to the rear (because we had a weight distribution issue), were trying to remember which overhead bin they had placed their items in. One of the overhead bins is marked for flight attendants only, but when you are just looking for your stuff, you don't really notice that. The FA SLAMMED his hand down on the bin before it even opened (and my daughter, who has never cried on ANY flight, was startled so much she started to WAIL) and gave these people the nastiest LOOK I have seen in my life.

I'll take the 5am departure, as I live directly across from the airport, to get the discount, if I have to. They're worth it.
I would like to get some names of the F/A's if you got them. Also, I would appreciate it if you could send a letter stating all this to the go! customer service dept. This is totally unacceptable. BTW you should be able to gate check your stroller, whoever said that needs more training. Send the letter to:

go! – Customer Care
Attn: Jeannie Poncho
300 Rodgers Blvd. #23
Honolulu, HI 96819

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.