Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Discussion Thread on Hawaiian's Service To/From Sydney

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Discussion Thread on Hawaiian's Service To/From Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
OK .. good tip. ^

Did that for a dummy November booking and got this:

' - Flights booked in H and K class of service DO NOT qualify for other airline frequent flyer miles.'

And the cheapies are in "H" class.

It does NOT say however that miles in THEIR plan are no possible to earn. (Maybe that is true, they just do not outline that!)

I asked the phone staff here and they say these cheapie flights DO earn miles in their plan. And seemed very sure about that.

SYD-HNL-SYD is just over 20,000 real miles. 20,000 miles in the HA plan is good for a round trip anywhere in the USA on Alaska Air - who service Boston, NYC, Washington and Florida ... and most of Alaska fo course:

http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/destin...p_FullSize.asp

Pretty neat deal for a few $100 cheapie RT ticket from oz.
For the record, these cheapie fares DO earn miles in HA's own program!!
Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:15 am

Location: Port Angeles, WA, USA Unwanted by AS, Hilton-Diamond, Starwood Platnum
Smile Exchange for Hilton

OZ
You could always exchange those 10,000 miles for 20,000 Hilton points or have your next 20 Hilton double dips apply to Hawaiian and get up to that 20,000 miles.

Exchange Airline Miles for HHonors Points
Airline Miles for HHonors Points

5,000 Hawaiin Airmiles = 10,000 Hilton points

http://hhonors.hilton.com/en/hhonors...change_1.jhtml
Old Feb 20, 2006, 1:05 pm

we just got back from syd on ha. here's my 2c:

we ended up flying economy both ways, after trying to upgrade using 25k miles by calling them every day. but they only wanted the double 50k, and then on check-in (which is always 25k miles), they only had one f seat outbound and 2 seats not together on return. so we were offered 3 seats in the back (6 on return), which for me, on ha, is always just as good as f.

the food was exactly the same as x-pacific. first meal was the normal hot entree choices (but not the infamous turkey croissant). half-way through was the only addition, which was a large brownie. as i never eat airline food (f or e), i can't comment on the meals, but they smelled and looked awful. i did taste the brownie and it was actually good (and large). she (bev) probably paid more for that than for the abysmal entrees she buys by the thousands. okay, sorry to digress. anyway, the end of flight meal was (of course) the turkey croissant. there is a hot towel service at the end, and we kept 4 of them to use to cover our faces during the permithrum (insecticide) cabin spraying on arrival.

return was overnight (10p-10a). on arrival we were greated by kathy (ha ground supervisor). as platinum, we were treated royally, and were invited to the xlnt nz business lounge (showers, food, internet). onboard, first meal hot entree choices (same as above). no middle of flight anything (that i saw). one hour before arrival was a small yogurt with muesli and a poor muffin.

overall. excellent for the price. we paid a net of $100 per person each way from lihue. calculation: $300 actual fare (earning 10k ha miles (5k x 2 (platinum)). we're using these during summer for high season x-pacific at a value of 2c/miles. so for us these miles are worth $200.

also:
- flights were on time both ways.
- using ha's own 67-er, which is the best plane they have.
- digiplayers were $15 (2 free movies were also shown)
- we saved 100k miles by not upgrading, buying us one one rt virgin f to london from west coast

and most important of all: in this era of incredibly mediocre airline service, we are completely accustomed to all aspects of ha. and in that i find a great deal of comfort, perhaps the most that can be attained nowadays.

one final non-related thought: we flew virgin blue from sydney to other points in aus. while charging for everything from emergency exit to water, they have absolutely superior service to anything i've seen in this country.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 3:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jtkauai
. . . we flew virgin blue from sydney to other points in aus. while charging for everything from emergency exit. . .
Seriously? How much did they charge for it?
Old Feb 20, 2006, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Seriously? How much did they charge for it?
emergency exit A$30, water A$2.

But no complaint. Good value. We did the exit row on a 2 hour flight and were glad.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 4:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jtkauai
emergency exit A$30, water A$2.

But no complaint. Good value. We did the exit row on a 2 hour flight and were glad.
Good value indeed, I'd pay it every day.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Avis First
It has been almost 2 years since the last post in this thread......so, does anyone have any recent experience with HA on the HNL - SYD route?

Mahalo!
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:30 am

Mrblueyes, my family and I have been travelling this route with Hawaiian ever since they commenced and most recently within the last 2 weeks. I feel no urge to change to any other airline. We had flown this route with AC previously and were not impressed. Everything previously written by jtkauai is the same (except I do actually like most of their food they serve) and I just love the aloha spirit from the staff.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
A Few More HNL-SYD Questions

My wife and son have an F award booking HNL-SYD in a few months... it's our family's first experience with HA and they're looking forward to it. Thanks to anyone who knows:

** Is there preflight lounge access for F passengers departing HNL for SYD?

** Are the 763 F cabins all renovated by now, or do ex-Ansett old-cabin a/c still turn up on SYD?

** Do they board enough DigiEPlayers (sic) for all F pax?

** How far in advance of the flight can one call in for seat assignments? Recommendations? (Son wants a window of course).

** I take it there's no Airshow?

Thank you!
Old Feb 8, 2009, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
My wife and son have an F award booking HNL-SYD in a few months... it's our family's first experience with HA and they're looking forward to it. Thanks to anyone who knows:

** Is there preflight lounge access for F passengers departing HNL for SYD?

** Are the 763 F cabins all renovated by now, or do ex-Ansett old-cabin a/c still turn up on SYD?

** Do they board enough DigiEPlayers (sic) for all F pax?

** How far in advance of the flight can one call in for seat assignments? Recommendations? (Son wants a window of course).

** I take it there's no Airshow?

Thank you!
I haven't flown the route, but know about it from trip reports, etc.

A F boarding pass gets you access to the HNL lounge. It is nothing special. Coffee, tea(?), soda fountain, passion orange guave juice, bags of pretzel/crisp snack. No bar.

Last time I read a trip report from a HA pilot, he mentioned they only use the planes that were bought new from boeing for the SYD runs. Less cycles, more reliable. I think all the cabins are renovated now anyway. I never noticed much difference in the F cabin anyway. It was coach that really sucked on the ex-ansett planes.

All F pax get DigEplayers.

If they won't assign you seat assignments, you might be out of luck. Sometimes the phone agents say they can't assign seats until 24 hours prior. Then you call at 24 hours prior and they say the flight is under airport control and can't assign seats. My travel agent wife says she has the best luck getting them to assign seats at 48 hours prior. But there's no guarantee you'll get them before going to the airport on the day of departure.

I can't remember if there's airshow on Hawaiian.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Thanks very much for the insight, Ripper, I appreciate it.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 12:55 pm

The only planes that have an Airshow are the ones that came from the German airline (LTU?). I went to LAX last month and the plane I was on had the airshow.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:12 am

SYD-HNL

I'll be flying SYD-HNL on First class for the 1st time. What can I expect in terms of the level of inflight service and meals, seat and lounge access in SYD?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
We've done the Sydney-Honolulu roundtrip on Hawaiian a couple of times.

From memory, I do not think they have a lounge in Sydney, if they do we did not visit it. That said, if it is anything like their Honolulu lounge I wouldn't bother.

I have always found their service onboard to be impeccable in first. You will be offered a complimentary digiplayer, with the headphones. When you board they serve champagne or juices. Make sure you try the guava juice. The meals, they will give you a menu from which you can select 3 items. I am not a big eater, however I never feel like I am stuffed with food when I am on Hawaiian so if you are the hungry type don't starve yourself in anticipation of being well fed.

The seats, FC on Hawaiian to me is only slightly better than premium economy or starclass on Jetstar. The first class cabin only has 3 rows of 2-2-2. I don't find the seats that comfortable that I can get a nights sleep, however I am not a good sleeper at the best of times.

Enjoy your flight.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:33 am

Programs: QFF Gold, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Toula
We've done the Sydney-Honolulu roundtrip on Hawaiian a couple of times.

From memory, I do not think they have a lounge in Sydney, if they do we did not visit it. That said, if it is anything like their Honolulu lounge I wouldn't bother.

Enjoy your flight.
Surely, they must share a lounge for their premium customers. Am interested to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.