Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aloha Airlines to drop Vancouver and Burbank. Plans to return 2 737-700

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold

Look for an official announcement soon. Aloha is going to drop Vancouver and Burbank. They will also return two of their 737-700 back to it's owners.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I don't think any airline would and have made an official announcement dropping flights as it's usually poor PR to do so...

BUT, you're right... Tried to purchase tickets to Vancouver, no qualifying flights. Tried to purchase tickets to OAK for the summer though and it still displays flights... looks like they're going out at different times.

aloha
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:43 am

This is so sad, we were looking forward to a flight with Aloha out of Vancouver!

When I check the web-site, I can't find flights in or out of Vancouver past April 11th. I tried calling, and the reservation agent seemed pretty sure that some schedule changes were coming up, but wasn't sure about the final details. She suggested checking back on Monday.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face Someone has to go.

Is there really enough room for HA, AQ, AA, UA,... in the Hawaii market?
Old Jan 20, 2005, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC SE SQ Solitaire BA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Can anyone tell me how to find out if my flights YVR/HNL in May will be cancelled? Checked on the Aloha website and as said "no available flights"
Old Jan 20, 2005, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by neilmac
Can anyone tell me how to find out if my flights YVR/HNL in May will be cancelled? Checked on the Aloha website and as said "no available flights"
I don't know how to find out for sure at this point, unless you call and ask to speak to a supervisor and they know something definite. Maybe slippahs or someone in Hawaii can get better information.

But worst case, I would think that they would rebook you on a flight that would fly you from Vancouver to Oakland or San Diego, where you would pick up your Aloha flight onward to the islands. I would expect they would give you an option to cancel with refund, since you booked a non-stop, originally. What do others think?

Last edited by Abby; Jan 20, 2005 at 1:25 pm Reason: Was thinking of Hawaiian partners!
Old Jan 20, 2005, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Abby
I don't know how to find out for sure at this point, unless you call and ask to speak to a supervisor and they know something definite. Maybe slippahs or someone in Hawaii can get better information.

But worst case, I would think that they would rebook you on a flight that would fly you from Vancouver to Oakland or San Diego, where you would pick up your Aloha flight onward to the islands. I would expect they would give you an option to cancel with refund, since you booked a non-stop, originally. What do others think?
I think the poster should call Aloha right away to make sure that alternate flights are all squared away... If you still want a non-stop, you might consider asking to switch to AC, though they would most likely put you on a UA flight going from Vancouver to a West Coast destination and connect you to an AQ flight from there (as Abby stated) or put you on UA flights all the way.

Originally Posted by neilmac
Call Aloha right away.

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Is there really enough room for HA, AQ, AA, UA,... in the Hawaii market?
Yes, but Aloha just needs the money. Look at Northwest, who even with losses have increased service to Hawai'i from destinations like PDX, SFO (brought back) from SEA and plan to increase service from destinations like LAS and possibly OAK (though these are rumored... LAS is a pretty good possibility). North American has restarted up service... It's all apart of good airline management.

FWIW, LAX-HNL is a different story... now that's an oversaturated market (even though many flights go out with more than 80% filled).

aloha
Old Jan 20, 2005, 3:02 pm

Just in case you have to do some shopping, neilmac ....

There is a new company - Harmony Airways - which flies non-stop between YVR and HNL. It is quite new, quite small and I don't have any firsthand experience with it. I did book a cheap flight for a friend (who really needed to save money) on Harmony from YVR-YYZ, and their experience was very positive. But no miles and only one class of service. I would tend to pick Air Canada over Harmony, but that is only my preference.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Abby
Just in case you have to do some shopping, neilmac ....

There is a new company - Harmony Airways - which flies non-stop between YVR and HNL. It is quite new, quite small and I don't have any firsthand experience with it. I did book a cheap flight for a friend (who really needed to save money) on Harmony from YVR-YYZ, and their experience was very positive. But no miles and only one class of service. I would tend to pick Air Canada over Harmony, but that is only my preference.
Good suggestion! Harmony does have some pretty good fares out there from Vancouver.

aloha
Old Jan 20, 2005, 3:42 pm

Thanks everyone you've been more than helpful. As you suggest I'll get on to Aloha or get my travel agent to do this tomorrow. For the past 15 years I've always gone AC and prior to that CP but they had comletely changed their schedule which didn't suit us coming from Scotland. GLW/LHR/YVR/HNL/KOA.

At our age there is no way we're making this journey in the back of a plane so I reckon it's goodbye Hawaii. Can't complain had over 30 magic holidays there.

Thanks again. I'll post in the future and let you know the outcome.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 5:56 pm

From the Kauai Garden Island News (www.kauaiworld.com):

Air Capacity to Hawai‘i up 27 Percent

Planned air seat capacity from Canada to Hawai‘i during the peak winter travel season (Oct. 2004-April 2005) is projected to be up 27 percent versus the same period one year ago, according to the Conference Board of Canada.

Although scheduled air seats between Canada and the Islands are down 6.7 percent for the first ten months of 2004, CBoC states that new service by Harmony Airways (51,220 total added seats between October 2004 and April 2005), and increased airlift by Aloha Airlines (+8) and Air Pacific (+10) are the main factors behind the [increase.] Air Canada, which maintains approximately 60 percent of the air seats from Canada, is expected to have a seven percent reduction in capacity for the seven month period.
Looks like there were a lot of extra seats to fill....
Old Jan 20, 2005, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I can't but help to point out the following information Aloha has listed on thier website regarding the restructuring under Chapter 11:

Will tickets, coupons and reservations for future Aloha flights be honored throughout the
reorganization process?
YES. All tickets/coupons and reservations should be honored, and customers should notice no
change to flight operations or customer service programs as a result of the filing. Travelers should
continue to book reservations for future travel on Aloha with confidence.
But... If we should notice no change to flight ops, why drop two routes so suddenly from your schedule?

Will this mean a reduction in inter-island or transpacific flight schedules?
NO. Aloha will continue to operate all scheduled flights.

PS: this can be found here: http://www.alohaairlines.com/fly/pdf/Customers.pdf and is dated January 4th, 2005... only 16 days prior to today.

aloha
Old Jan 20, 2005, 7:18 pm

I noticed some of that information on the Web site also, slippahs.

Maybe we are wrong and they are not discontinuing service. But then, why do they no longer show any availability for dates beyond April???

Also, I suppose they could say they no longer have scheduled flights beyond April....
Old Jan 21, 2005, 9:40 am

Phoned up the travel agent today and they confimed they'd heard from Aloha that my YVR/HNL flight had been cancelled and my money would be refunded. They weren't able to give me any more details.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by slippahs

FWIW, LAX-HNL is a different story... now that's an oversaturated market (even though many flights go out with more than 80% filled).

aloha
If many flights go out with more than 80% filled, how is LAX-HNL "oversaturated"? I believe that, in the past, there were even more flights, certainly on much larger planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.