Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Carry-on baggage allowance/weight on HA" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Carry-on baggage allowance/weight on HA" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: Skymiles, AA,
Flying from LIH to HNL and connecting to Delta on to MSP, the gate agent (maybe the same one mentioned above) weighed our carry on and made us remove some items. He gave us the same storry about "all airlines"and Mrs JVP read him the riot act. So, to answer the question, they are stil at it (at least in LIH). The fact that you might be in First on Delta and a GM is irrelevant. The guy could care less.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I think if you can avoid the counters with a heavy carry on (or leave the carry ons) with someoe else while you check in, you won't have a problem. Otherwse I've had my roller weighed before. They place an "acceptable" sticker on it. So I've just left it on the bag just in case.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AA,
Great idea about leaving the sticker on the bag! I'll do that in the future.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:55 am

Can you bring both a backpack & a small suitcase/carry-on per person?

Seeing that HA charge for every checked-in suitcases, we decided to do a carry-on ourselves instead.

Looking at website, I am confused. Can we each bring a laptop (& a purse) in a backpack and carry a small suitcase that pass the size requirement? Website seems not to be clear or my head don't get their "non-layman term". It looks like each of us only bring either one, not both.

There are 6 of us flying and you can imagine the cost of paying for suitcase per way. AND 6 HOURS on a plane if each of us can't bring a laptop to keep us busy. ugh!

Want to hear your experiences. Can you bring both a backpack & a small suitcase/carry-on per person?

Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
yes you can have a "personal item" (purse or backpack) and a carry on bag. If you are that large of a party, you could purchase the premier club membership it should be 299, and get free bags for everyone on the same reservation. If you are all checking one bag both ways it nearly pays for itself. Plus you will get two free drinks( sadly i don't use that feature) as well as priority boarding.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hawaiian Air Fold, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum
The HAL metal has the worst overhead space in the industry, so be aware of that. The advantage of that is that if you have a carryon (make certain it is a 22 or smaller and less than 50 lbs) and gate check it, you don't pay.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Originally Posted by thehoax
If you are that large of a party, you could purchase the premier club membership it should be 299, and get free bags for everyone on the same reservation. If you are all checking one bag both ways it nearly pays for itself. Plus you will get two free drinks( sadly i don't use that feature) as well as priority boarding.
Check about the free bags for everyone on the same reservation before joining because as of March 1st free bags only applies to the member for those with Pualani status. The website doesn't state this for Premier Club membership, but it also doesn't state anything about others on the reservation.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pkincy
The HAL metal has the worst overhead space in the industry, so be aware of that. The advantage of that is that if you have a carryon (make certain it is a 22 or smaller and less than 50 lbs) and gate check it, you don't pay.
On our most recent trip from LIH to HNL, carry on baggage had to be "authorized". They place a tag on the bag indicating it is authorized AND the weight limit was 25 lbs! We ignored the requirement and were allowed to board with our carryon's which are shorter than 22 inches but certainly weighed more than 25 pounds. I wonder if this might be a harbinger of what might happen on other airlines in an effort to control carryon bags (size and weight) and/or to collect additional fees. I could well imagine that an airline like Delta or United might require bags to be "authorized" and if they weighed too much the traveler might need to pay the normal baggage fee unless they had elite status.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Where did they do the "authorization?" I've been flying interisland quite a bit and have yet to have this happen to me--usually have a stuffed 22" rolling suitcase. A colleague had her carry-on weighed last year.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:29 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stravels
Where did they do the "authorization?" I've been flying interisland quite a bit and have yet to have this happen to me--usually have a stuffed 22" rolling suitcase. A colleague had her carry-on weighed last year.
This happened March 4 from LIH to HNL. We were traveling in First and checked in early at the counter because we hoped to get on an earlier flight and we did not have access to a printer. They asked to return to the counter with our carryons before going through security. We simply ignored that request but nearly everyone in the boarding area had purple paper ribbons on their bags containing the words HA Authorized Carryon.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: HA PUALANI GOLD
Originally Posted by nigos
This happened March 4 from LIH to HNL. We were traveling in First and checked in early at the counter because we hoped to get on an earlier flight and we did not have access to a printer. They asked to return to the counter with our carryons before going through security. We simply ignored that request but nearly everyone in the boarding area had purple paper ribbons on their bags containing the words HA Authorized Carryon.
aloha
i fly hawaiian 3-5 times a year las to hnl and only had the purple tag 1 time i think it depens on the person at the counter.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: SPG UA WN HA
At OGG last November, I actually had to *prove* that my carryon fit - using the sizer. Kind of surprised me. Whatever, it fit.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: UAL,AA, Marriott Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by comesatime
At OGG last November, I actually had to *prove* that my carryon fit - using the sizer. Kind of surprised me. Whatever, it fit.
Is this only inter-island?

We are gonna be on the 767 from HNL-SFO when we come back from our trip.

Someone above posted about HAL metal having horrible carry on space. Is that talking about this route as well?
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:30 am

Programs: SPG UA WN HA
Originally Posted by tdfxman
Is this only inter-island?

We are gonna be on the 767 from HNL-SFO when we come back from our trip.

Someone above posted about HAL metal having horrible carry on space. Is that talking about this route as well?
Sorry for the delayed response (tax acct...ugh) but this was for our return flight to the mainland. I highly doubt you will have a problem inter island, but the overhead space is limited on the 767's.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:22 pm

Hawaiian Airlines - Limiting Carry-On Luggage to 25 lbs. New Revenue Scam.

Returning from a trip last week, be warned of a new Hawain Airlines revenue generating scam.

Depending on the agent you see, some are requiring that all of your carry-on luggage be weighed and tagged to show that it is under 25 lbs (note carry-on, not checked). If it's over 25 lbs they require that you check and pay the luggage fee.

I travel with business and log over 100k flight miles per year around the world. I've never seen a policy like this - it essentially keeps rollerboard bags from being carried on as an empty bag weighs 10-12 lbs already.

The policy is very inconsistently implemented as no one at the gate checks nor do they have a scale in that area. I suggest keeping all of your carry-on luggage away from the checked bag kiosk areas and tell the agents you do not have any - leave it with family members away from the area.

Beware...this policy is printed on their obscure web page in fine print only - not disclosed anywhere else from what I've found so far.

Very frustrating to learn of the new policy from a sarcastic, airline employee who feels the power in their hands.

They are using 'safety' as the reason for the new limit - I'm a safety professional who's consulted for many of the worlds' largest airlines. There is no safety basis for this policy, revenue-generating only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.