Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 21, 04, 9:17 pm   #1

Programs: United Airlines MileagePlus® Premier® 1K®
Adjacent Seating on a Full Flight?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on FlyerTalk, so please forgive any mistakes I make :-)

My friend and I are flying out from HNL on Aug 14 bound for LAS on Hawaiian Air. I reserved my tickets via www.PandaOnline.com, which doesn't allow you to choose seats. I called Hawaiian Air directly and asked them if my friend and I could sit next to each other, but they said I have to do that at check-in at the airport on the day of travel. They also suggested I check-in online 24 hours prior to the flight so I could choose seats. I'm assuming that the flight is rather full and there are no adjacent seats left. I am considering trying the following in order to get an adjacent seat:

1) Check-in online 24 hours prior to the flight.
2) Failing #1, Check-in very early at the airport and ask for exit row seating (these can't be reserved in advance right?)
3) Failing #2, Pay the $250 same day upgrade to first class

I was wondering if anyone has any other creative options I might try to get adjacent seats?

Thanks in advance.
love_to_travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 04, 10:38 pm   #2
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles & Hawai'i forums

E Komo Mai, Welcome to Flyertalk! It's always nice to see another kama'aina out there.

You can always check to see how many seats are available and a seatmap of your flight by entering all the values thru this link:

http://flyaow.com/classamex.htm

The search results page will display your flight and a bunch of letters and numbers. The more 0's you see, the fuller the flight. The more 9's (the maximum number ITN, the site you're using here, will display, the emptier the flight. To see the seatmap of the flight you're on, act as if you're purchasing your flight and on the last page before purchase (you don't need to enter any personal info to get here), you'll see a link to "select your seat". This will be your best bet in seeing how full the flight is.

Using Hele-on check-in at the 24 hour mark should get you your seats together, unless the flight's extremely full...

Also, when you get on a board and still don't have a seat next to your buddy, you can always politely ask a person to switch seats. I do that all the time.

Let us know how it turns out. Pōmaika`i (good luck)!

aloha

Edited to add: exit row seats can be reserved in advance by Pualani Elite members... At check-in, unless it's an empty flight, they probably won't be available. Also, purchasing a first class upgrade on such a short flight doesn't seem worth it to me. Just my 2 cents.
slippahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 04, 5:13 pm   #3

Programs: United Airlines MileagePlus® Premier® 1K®
Thanks for the advice. I did what you suggested and this is what the website says:

Cabin Class: F5 J5 P0 Y4 W4 Q2 B0 M0 N0 T0 H0 K0 L0 Z0

Since I see lots of 0's that means the flight is full right? Does the F mean that there are 5 first class seats left? :-)

Thanks again.
love_to_travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 04, 8:14 pm   #4

Try going down to the airport

Yes, F5 means 5 more seats are available for purchase. I noticed only a few fares are available for purchase. Since most airlines overbook their flights, most likely your flight is oversold. I suggest that you go down to the Hawaiian Airlines ticket counter at the airport and reserve any seats that are available. That way if you are holding reserve seats you cannot be denied boarding if you check in on time for your flight even though the flight is overbooked. Passengers who are holding reservations and no reserve seats can be denied involunatry boarding if the flights are oversold, even if you check in on time at their ticket counter.

Also by reserving your seats ahead of time, you are still able to change them on the day of departure when checking in, as long seats are still available.

All airlines have certain seats blocked on their aircraft which can only be released at the airport, usually on the day of departure. But if you are lucky enough to get a agent(friendly) he or she might assign you one of those seats.

Good Luck
mctrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 04, 8:31 pm   #5

Ask the boarding gate agent

Forgot to mention this,

Check in early and go to the boarding gate. Politely ask the agent that you and your companion would like to seat together(aisle seats if possible). Usually during check in other passengers are changing seats(some have children not seated together). The agent will try to accomodate families with children first and sometime aisle seats become available or the seat next to the ones that one of you have. Also some passenger might miss this flight and their reserve seats will be released. Must airlines will release held seat between 30 to 20 mins before departure, this is another way you might be able to get those aisle seats.

And like I said, you might be lucky and get a agent who will treat you like he or she would like to be treated and go out of their way to accommodate you.
It usually seems that the female agents will try their best for you.

Even though I have not traveled on Ha to Las, I have traveled on Aloha Airlines to the mainland and a couple of times I did approach their agent(female) to change seats for me and my family and both times they were able to.

Good Luck
Old Jul 23, 04, 10:19 pm   #6

With your numbers (F5 J5 P0 Y4 W4 Q2 B0 M0 N0 T0 H0 K0 L0 Z0), I highly doubt your flight is oversold now. There is at least 4 full fare Y tickets left to be sold as well as other tickets in other fare buckets. Glad you got to use ITN, however.

If you're truly worried about being bumped (it's still quite too early to tell), then you shouldn't check-in at the gate and use Hele-on check-in, once again. This would allow you to select seats 24 hours in advance and you probably could get seats together depending on how full the flights are. If HA's phone reps won't offer to assign you seats over the phone, they won't in person so going down to the airport now would be a waste of time. There's a quota of seats (something like 70%) that are assigned ahead of time and a selection that are reserved for check-in.

... And on the flip side, getting bumped can be a particularly good thing, especially since you can pick up a few travel vouchers along the way. More on that with a search.

Pōmaika`i (Good luck)!

aloha
Old Jul 24, 04, 12:53 am   #7

Airport has complete control

Yes, reservation are allowed a certain percentage of seats to be assigned to passengers when reservations are made and paid for. But at the airport their agents have complete control of the seats that are still available or those that are blocked for day of departure checkin. Their agents in some instances will preassigned those blocked seats inadvance for passengers who come down to the airport. Also, if you or someone you know has a friend who works for the airline they might be able to get your seats for you.

Good Luck
Old Jul 24, 04, 12:55 am   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctrip
Their agents in some instances will preassigned those blocked seats inadvance for passengers who come down to the airport. Also, if you or someone you know has a friend who works for the airline they might be able to get your seats for you.
mctrip: I've done this in the past with Hawaiian several times. They would not release seats to me in advance in every instance (and I do ask nicely ). I don't know why HA is pretty strict about releasing airport control only seats during the check-in process. Either way, having friends in HA places, might I add, is an entirely different story.

aloha

Last edited by slippahs; Jul 24, 04 at 1:01 am.
Old Jul 24, 04, 4:18 pm   #9

This thread is very timely. I just booked 4 tix HNL-SAN last week on Hawaiianair.com and could only reserve seats for one of us (the award ticket). I thought it must be because the flight was full- it certainly looked that way on the seatmap. But checked the link above and got 'Cabin class: F7 J7 P3 Y7 W7 Q7 B7 M7 N7 T6 H7 K7 L0 Z0'. So using Hele on check-in 24hr before should get us all seats? If we get bumped we will have big problems because we are flying on to Australia the next day.
JodieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 04, 4:24 pm   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieD
This thread is very timely. I just booked 4 tix HNL-SAN last week on Hawaiianair.com and could only reserve seats for one of us (the award ticket). I thought it must be because the flight was full- it certainly looked that way on the seatmap. But checked the link above and got 'Cabin class: F7 J7 P3 Y7 W7 Q7 B7 M7 N7 T6 H7 K7 L0 Z0'. So using Hele on check-in 24hr before should get us all seats? If we get bumped we will have big problems because we are flying on to Australia the next day.
The numbers displayed above are the number of seats HA is willing to sell in each fare class. It's not a precise indication of how many seats remain on the plane. Just the same, HA will pre-block seats on the seat map for whatever reason, so a seat map can be deciving as well. The ITN numbers and the seat map are just a helpful guess as to how full your flight really is. When is your departure date? If it's close (like in a few weeks), it would seem that your flight will not be all that full. If your flight was in a few weeks and you were pulling up numbers like F2 J0 P0 Y2 W0 Q0 B0 M0 N0 T0 H0 K0 L0 Z0 that would surely indicate a pretty full flight.

Of course, since you have four in your party and HA has their 763s in a 2-3-2 configuration, your party will be split either way, but with your numbers, you probably could get two seats together x 2 for the four members. Of course, if you still don't get seats together after check-in and ask at the gate, it always helps to ask your seatmate if he/she would be willing to trade seats with your family member.

aloha

Last edited by slippahs; Jul 24, 04 at 4:27 pm.
Old Jul 24, 04, 4:48 pm   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippahs
When is your departure date?
Slippahs, our departure date is not until Oct 12 (the SAN-HNL leg). The seats that we get on the flight doesn't particularly worry me -although Mr D will be upset if I don't have at least one of the little D's sitting next to me . I was more concerned by this "Passengers who are holding reservations and no reserve seats can be denied involuntary boarding if the flights are oversold, even if you check in on time at their ticket counter" from a post above.
Old Jul 24, 04, 5:08 pm   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieD
I was more concerned by this "Passengers who are holding reservations and no reserve seats can be denied involuntary boarding if the flights are oversold, even if you check in on time at their ticket counter" from a post above.
Ah, I'm sorry. If you Hele-on check-in at the 24 hour mark, you shouldn't have a problem with being bumped (and even with airport check-in, it shouldn't be too much of a problem as IVBs are not all that frequent). There's, I hope, the right answer.

aloha
Old Jul 24, 04, 8:49 pm   #13

Quote:
Ah, I'm sorry. If you Hele-on check-in at the 24 hour mark, you shouldn't have a problem with being bumped (and even with airport check-in, it shouldn't be too much of a problem as IVBs are not all that frequent). There's, I hope, the right answer.

aloha
Mahalo
Old Jul 25, 04, 12:14 am   #14

Hele-On Check-in

Quote:

aloha
Aloha Slippahs,
Just a thought! If Jode-D is unable to get her seats in advance through HA reservation department since the rest of the seats are blocked for airport check-in, will the seats become available 24hrs in advance by using their HELE-ON check-in at home(if a seat is not assigned you will not be checked-n)? If Jode-D is still unable to, then she still must go down to the airport early to get seating for her family since they will not have been checked-in.

Good-Luck
Old Jul 25, 04, 12:28 am   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctrip
Just a thought! If Jode-D is unable to get her seats in advance through HA reservation department since the rest of the seats are blocked for airport check-in, will the seats become available 24hrs in advance by using their HELE-ON check-in at home(if a seat is not assigned you will not be checked-n)? If Jode-D is still unable to, then she still must go down to the airport early to get seating for her family since they will not have been checked-in.
A few months ago, I had the same question. Was checking in family members using Hele-on check-in but could not get pre-assigned seats. Worked like a charm and got them seats together at about the 22 hour mark pretty close up in the front of the Y cabin. As long as there are seats to assign (e.g., flight is not overbooked) during the online check-in process, the system will spit you out boarding passes with whatever seat numbers you choose.

aloha