Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mass flight cancellations?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2022, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Just had our HND-HNL outbound flights cancelled across two different dates (6/6 and 6/8) as well as my family's return flight on 6/16 - all at once. Big shift happening?

Edit - tried calling and they have limited hours M-F only lol - nice that they sent out all these cancellations after business hours! These were awards so in the meantime all the miles are being held captive so we can't even go try to book alternate flights. Awesome.

Trying to get more information from the SMS-based chat but they don't have any details other than "due to maintenance"... weeks of flights cancelled on just this route for maintenance??

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 8, 2022 at 1:21 pm Reason: Consecutive posts merged
Old May 8, 2022, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Was able to get through by phone (not sure why the phone lines last night said they were closed until Monday), and after a long wait and a pleasant but unhelpful rep eventually transferred me to a helpful supervisor, we were able to get our flights switched to NRT still in biz with about 24 hours difference in departure date on each set of flights (there was some confusion as to whether or not we qualified as the number of miles required had now doubled) but between the situation in general and the fact that there appears to be some kind of special fare difference waiver for flights to/from Japan, they were able to make it happen. Still no information about what is going on with weekslong HA flights all of a sudden disappearing from HND... they said something about "haneda air control causing the cancellations" but that was it... Very odd.
Old May 8, 2022, 11:14 am
azj

Japan is still very much restricting arrivals in to the country. The planned resumption of service to Japan by Hawaiian has been further delayed, not unlike other carriers. NRT is increasing and KIX remains at 1/wk. HND and the rest have been pushed back again, waiting changes by the Japanese government. I also noticed more 321 inter-island flying, with 330's flying some routes normally flown by that fleet. Maybe these Japan changes also have something to do with that.
Old May 8, 2022, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Nothing has changed here in Japan, so there is no reason for mass flight cancellations on this scale. Hawaiian shouldn’t have been selling these flights in the first place if they were going to pull the rug out from under pax like this without there being external forces causing unexpected changes.
Old May 15, 2022, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by pesos
Nothing has changed here in Japan, so there is no reason for mass flight cancellations on this scale. Hawaiian shouldn’t have been selling these flights in the first place if they were going to pull the rug out from under pax like this without there being external forces causing unexpected changes.
Hawaiian isn't alone in its actions here. You'll see United doing the same thing on its Haneda flights to/from the Mainland. It only cancels about a month out. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ellations.html
Old May 15, 2022, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

It’s not quite clear from the post but they make it sound like they were autorebooked to nrt- is that what happened? If so that’s very different than the HA experience.
Old May 19, 2022, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pesos
It’s not quite clear from the post but they make it sound like they were autorebooked to nrt- is that what happened? If so that’s very different than the HA experience.
United is a big airline; Hawaiian Airlines is not. I would expect United to auto-rebook (or at least attempt to auto-rebook their passengers), while I wouldn't necessarily expect the same from Hawaiian. However, it should be stated that ALL airlines are adjusting their schedules. This is not unusual right now and international flights do depend on the government approval (don't know if this is the case here).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.