Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVED "CURRENT INTER-ISLAND FARES" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVED "CURRENT INTER-ISLAND FARES" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Your point is taken, although OGG flights are a different creature because they're so many of them.

More than once (and most recently a couple of weeks ago), when I knew I needed an ITO or KOA flight, there were almost no cheap seats except early morning or evening.
You've been fortunate.
That's why I checked LIH (which is where OP is actually going). It was just as good as OGG.

But let's look at HNL-ITO and HNL-KOA for the same date (Dec. 16, 12 days from now:

HNL-ITO has 15 non-stop flights that day. 10 of them are available for $61. KOA has 17 flights, and 14 of them are available for $59.

Seems to me that perhaps you've been unfortunate.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:06 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
You're welcome to the last word here; as I have noted, folks who actually live and work here don't find things nearly so easy as you believe they are.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Some of us try to work on changing that feeling, and giving folks facts they otherwise wouldn't have, about how go! has been yet one more carpetbagger in the long history of mainland companies taking advantage of Hawai`i folks by pretending to honor Hawai`ian values.
This is a point on which it seem you and I are unlikely to agree. I feel that there is a long history of Hawaiian companies who have been taking advantage of Hawaii folks by charging them excessively high prices. Included in this is a consistent attempt to prevent competition by raising whatever obstructions possible, legal, environmental, cultural, etc. I feel sad that almost everyone I know in Hawaii has to work two jobs (4 jobs per family) to get by because of this situation. When I am in Hawaii, I volunteer tutoring children after school. I am doing what their parents would be doing, if only they didn't have to spend so much time working. Unfortunately, I am only there about 3 months out of the school year. When I return, I see the same child and he has regressed in the two months that I was not there, because of nobody to help him with his homework. I am glad when mainland companies like Walmart come in and offer lower prices to the people of Hawaii - I wish it happened more. (An aside - so do the people of Hawaii - the busiest Walmart I have ever seen is the one just mauka of Ala Moana Center). Hopefully, if enough of this takes place, Hawaiians can get back to spending more time raising their children.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by gemac
But let's look at HNL-ITO and HNL-KOA for the same date (Dec. 16, 12 days from now:

HNL-ITO has 15 non-stop flights that day. 10 of them are available for $61. KOA has 17 flights, and 14 of them are available for $59.
How nice of you to pick a Tuesday--the slowest travel day of the week.

If you look at prices Thursday-Monday for KOA/ITO, the results are not as generous, especially if you need an afternoon connection flight. The same is true for LIH. Yes, there may be some nice flights with lowest fare availability but that might not be timed to your connection.

Price assurance for your flights is peace of mind. Enough said.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slippahs
How nice of you to pick a Tuesday--the slowest travel day of the week.

If you look at prices Thursday-Monday for KOA/ITO, the results are not as generous, especially if you need an afternoon connection flight. The same is true for LIH. Yes, there may be some nice flights with lowest fare availability but that might not be timed to your connection.

Price assurance for your flights is peace of mind. Enough said.
I didn't pick it at random, I picked it because I was actually traveling that day. We don't know what day of the week the OP is traveling.

There is always a trade-off between waiting for a lower fare and buying early to get a sure thing. But any day of the week still has ample flights at low fares 30 days out. Let's look at HNL-LIH (which is what OP was asking about) for Jan. 4 (30 days from now, and in the holidays when more people will be traveling). 24 flights on HA, 11 available at $59, one at $69, and 7 at $74, so 19 out of 24 flights available at a reasonable price. That still seems like a pretty good selection to me. Just my opinion.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I didn't pick it at random, I picked it because I was actually traveling that day. We don't know what day of the week the OP is traveling.

There is always a trade-off between waiting for a lower fare and buying early to get a sure thing. But any day of the week still has ample flights at low fares 30 days out. Let's look at HNL-LIH (which is what OP was asking about) for Jan. 4 (30 days from now, and in the holidays when more people will be traveling). 24 flights on HA, 11 available at $59, one at $69, and 7 at $74, so 19 out of 24 flights available at a reasonable price. That still seems like a pretty good selection to me. Just my opinion.
Once again, you seem to be missing the point. You can't connect to the morning flights from the Mainland. Those mornin flights are all set at $59 on that particular date of travel; so yes, cheap flights are available. BUT, it's the afternoon flights that matter for connections. On that particular day, the only flight cheaper than $74 after 1 p.m. is the very last flight out at 9:45 p.m.

Someone who is connecting--which is generally after 1 p.m.--will need to fly after 1 p.m. and therefore not be able to take advantage of the cheaper fare sales.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once again, you seem to be missing the point. You can't connect to the morning flights from the Mainland. Those mornin flights are all set at $59 on that particular date of travel; so yes, cheap flights are available. BUT, it's the afternoon flights that matter for connections. On that particular day, the only flight cheaper than $74 after 1 p.m. is the very last flight out at 9:45 p.m.

Someone who is connecting--which is generally after 1 p.m.--will need to fly after 1 p.m. and therefore not be able to take advantage of the cheaper fare sales.
I see what you're saying! You and I were working with different assumptions, because the OP could be read two different ways. I thought OP was staying in HNL for a few days, then on to LIH, whereas you thought OP was passing through HNL to LIH. You are right - if OP is passing through HNL, with their onward flight to LIH as a separate ticket, they should buy their onward flight as soon as they buy the PHX-HNL part, because they won't want to spend any more time than necessary hanging around the airport in HNL (but I would allow extra time unless their flight PHX-LIH is on HA).

If they are staying a day or more in HNL, I still think they could hold off until 30 days prior to purchase.

It's funny what assumptions do to us.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Been checking with Mom and all, we are flying HNL-LIH on a Monday, returning on Saturday. Personally, I prefer HA, not only like getting every single mile possible, but also have had the best experiences both trans-pac and interisland.

But- I am splurging on this trip already, and wouldn't be going if not for the fact that Mom and Dad (in 2 separate states) have had severe health problems lately and I know time is slipping away. So, on the one hand, saving $50 is important.

On the other..... its only $50 difference between normal fare and what I consider super cheap. But I really don't want to fly 'go', hated to see what happened to Aloha. Guess I'll just wait and see what everyone else does, then make my decision.

But I have to agree that flights are not always easy to come by. Yes, maybe on some days. But the last 2 times I tried to book cheaper flights, all gone 30 days out unless I wanted to fly at 5 am or 10 pm.

I do have a $100 e-cert on HA, but I can always use that towards another trans-pac flight when things settle down.

I'm just quite happy to be going. Mr. P1 proposed on Kauai.

I see what you're saying! You and I were working with different assumptions, because the OP could be read two different ways. I thought OP was staying in HNL for a few days, then on to LIH, whereas you thought OP was passing through HNL to LIH. You are right - if OP is passing through HNL, with their onward flight to LIH as a separate ticket, they should buy their onward flight as soon as they buy the PHX-HNL part, because they won't want to spend any more time than necessary hanging around the airport in HNL (but I would allow extra time unless their flight PHX-LIH is on HA).

If they are staying a day or more in HNL, I still think they could hold off until 30 days prior to purchase.

It's funny what assumptions do to us.
I am flying into HNL on Sat, on to LIH Mon. Back to HNL Sat next, then to PHX on Sun. so, no worry about connections time. But, will be traveling with 5 other people....

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 14, 2008 at 9:47 am Reason: Consolidated poster's two consecutive posts
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

$39 fare sale for flights to the end of this year:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...ING03/81215058

All carriers have matched.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

With the exception of Island Air, who has their own sale:

Island Air says “Happy Holidays” with our gift to you for 2008:

* Pay only $54* one-way on Island Air
* Fly anytime before December 31, 2008
* Travel on ALL ROUTES serviced by Island Air including stopover and connecting flights

TWO DAY SALE ONLY beginning midnight Wednesday, December 17, 2008. Tickets good for travel between December 18-31, 2008.

Click here to book now!

http://www.islandair.com/promo_gift.asp

The underline emphasis was mine to point out that you could fly ITO/KOA-LIH for $54... whereas with the other carriers, you'd be charged for the second leg.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

$39 fare sale for flights to the end of this year:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...ING03/81215058

Mokulele down to $35 now:

http://www.mokuleleairlines.com/

Hawaiian has matched.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Is ANYONE discounting fares into mid-Jan? I will be there Jan 17-24, and although the fares are lowish, they are NOT $35...
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by joelfreak
Is ANYONE discounting fares into mid-Jan? I will be there Jan 17-24, and although the fares are lowish, they are NOT $35...
Fare sales haven't been released that far out recently. So you'll just have to wait and see as the carriers reevaluate their loads. One thing's for sure, fare sales for a busy holiday travel period means that they're not anticipating to rake in the pax...
Old Jan 6, 2009, 5:20 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, AirTran Elite, Hertz Gold, Radisson Gold Elite
HA and MW are now selling $39 fares for most of january on their competitive routes. I've already flown MW twice, and LOVE the 170s! Just waiting to see my AS miles hit (I hope they are EQM's!).
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by HeleFlyer
HA and MW are now selling $39 fares for most of january on their competitive routes. I've already flown MW twice, and LOVE the 170s! Just waiting to see my AS miles hit (I hope they are EQM's!).
Got some good news and bad...

First the bad... no EQM's... This is something I need to write AS & MW about (and I urge everyone else out there to send in some letters of support too) as this will only strengthen the tie between MW & AS, and the AS elite

The good...

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com
Mokulele Airlines Joins Mileage Plan
Earn Bonus Mileage Plan Miles on
Alaska Airlines Newest Mileage Partner — Mokulele Airlines

Alaska Airlines is pleased to announce our newest mileage partner, Mokulele Airlines. To celebrate, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Members can earn Double Miles (1000 miles per segment) on all flights operated by Mokulele Airlines.

To earn the bonus miles, simply fly between January 1, 2009, and February 28, 2009, on any Mokulele Airlines operated flights. No registration required.

Not a member? Enroll online and earn 500 Bonus Miles.

Book your flight today.

Terms and Conditions:
Bonus Miles valid only on qualifying paid flights by Mokulele Airlines between January 1, 2009, and February 28, 2009. Flight miles must be credited to your Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account in order to earn the Bonus Miles. Flights marketed or operated by other airlines, including other code-share partners, are not eligible for this promotion. All travel must be completed by February 28, 2009. Not valid for free or award travel. Bonus Miles based on actual or minimum flight miles. Bonus Miles do not count toward MVP or MVP Gold Status. Please allow four to six weeks for travel and Bonus Miles to be credited. All terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan program apply. Bonus Miles subject to change without notice.
link

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com
Mileage Earned:
Effective mid-December, 2008 - 500 minimum miles for each segment on all Mokulele Airlines operated flights within Hawaii

To ensure flight credit, the two letter airline code must precede the flight number on your ticket receipt or boarding pass.
For example, MW 1787.
Flights must also be within the eligible flight number range.
Mokulele Airlines
Eligible Flight Numbers

100-1999

MVP or MVP Gold qualifying flight miles: No

Destinations:
85 Daily Departures between seven cities in Hawaii

For More Information: www.mokuleleairlines.com or call 1-866-260-7070

Redeeming Miles:
Redemptions on Mokulele Airlines will be available beginning in early 2009.
link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.