Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVED "CURRENT INTER-ISLAND FARES" thread

ARCHIVED "CURRENT INTER-ISLAND FARES" thread

Old Nov 18, 2008, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Inter-island fares are dropping

Interisland fares are the lowest I have seen in quite a while.

From HNL to LIH the lowest fare is $45 each way. On Hawaiian, the lowest fare is $45 each way. Their second tier price is $59. This is great news.

www.hawaiianair.com

http://www.mokuleleairlines.com/

Maybe cheaper to pay for a ticket than to use 10,000 award miles.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Maybe cheaper to pay for a ticket than to use 10,000 award miles.
It costs 15,000 miles if you're not a BOH/BOA cardholder or an elite.

:mod hat on:

Since we're talking about our Hawaii-based Airlines, let's move to that forum for better handling.

Thanks,

slippahs
Hawaiʻi forum co-moderator
Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:03 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Wow. I need a one-way next week. Yesterday's cheapest price was $69. Today it's $49.

Unfortunately it's still not a time I can use (unless I want to hang around the airport for 5 hours)
Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cblaisd
(unless I want to hang around the airport for 5 hours)
You could spend the time perfecting our HNL Connecting Guide... (hint hint)
Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Neighbor Isle Res:Island Air's No Bag Free Shopping Free [$99 fare/$0 extra bag fees]

From an Island Air e-mail:

Holiday greetings from Island Air!

With the holidays just around the corner, Island Air wants to help you find the perfects gifts for your friends and family. Imagine how impressed they will be when they find out you flew all the way to Honolulu just to get their present.

In the spirit of the holiday season, Island Air is happy to announce our NO BAG FEE Shopping Spree.

Shop till you drop and pay $0 in excess baggage fees!

$99* roundtrip fare
$20** rental car from Budget

Departure and return must be on same calendar day. Only valid on outbound flights to Honolulu and must return to the original point of departure.

A special link to book your Budget rental car will appear on your confirmation page.

Purchase on: November 19, 20, 21, 2008

Travel dates: December 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11, 2008

Shopping Spree airfares and car rates can be found only at IslandAir.com

Book now
Tell me more

Happy Holidays,

Your friends at Island Air

* Fare is subject to seat availability and can change without notice. Fares are nonrefundable and nontransferable. Roundtrip fare does not include a minimum of two (2) ZP segment taxes of $3.50 each, and two (2) 9/11 security fees of $2.50 each. Taxes, fees, and other restrictions apply. Baggage fees waived for travel on Mon-Thu only.

** Offer valid at Honolulu pickup station only. Vehicles and rates are subject to availability. Rates are non-discountable; they may not be combined with any other BCD number, coupon, discounted rate or promotional offer. Rates are subject to change without notice. Renter must meet age, driver and credit requirements. Minimum age is 25, but may vary by location. An additional daily surcharge may apply for renters under 25 years old. Offers are based on U.S. currency. Vehicle must be returned to renting location. Taxes, concession recovery fees, vehicle license recovery fee, customer facility charges may apply and are extra. Optional products and refueling are extra.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 1:33 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Interisland fares are the lowest I have seen in quite a while.

From HNL to LIH the lowest fare is $45 each way. On Hawaiian, the lowest fare is $45 each way. Their second tier price is $59. This is great news.
Just fyi, three things:

1. ex-ITO, it's $49. But still better than $69 or $74 or $89!

2. The fares on HA only seem to be loaded through December

3. go! has matched. Waiting for WP to as well.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Wow. I need a one-way next week. Yesterday's cheapest price was $69. Today it's $49.

Unfortunately it's still not a time I can use (unless I want to hang around the airport for 5 hours)
But you could chill at the oh so luxurious HA Premier Club!
Old Nov 29, 2008, 7:36 pm
chs

flights are EMPTY! You could just book the cheaper flight and standby for earlier if you are Premier Club and don't have a key meeting to make (did this coming back from the mainland yesterday and barely 25 people on plane I stood by for)
Old Dec 3, 2008, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Inter-island Fare Wars?

PHX-HNL early May, then on to LIH with Mom and Sis. Hearing rumors about a new interisland airline, will we be seeing fare wars?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Princess1
PHX-HNL early May, then on to LIH with Mom and Sis. Hearing rumors about a new interisland airline, will we be seeing fare wars?
Here's the thread. There has been some date slippage from the originally announced Nov. 15 date. Fares may indeed go down. It is way early to be buying interisland tickets. You can easily wait until 30 days in advance. Lots of flights, not hard to get on one around the time you want.

Last edited by gemac; Dec 4, 2008 at 10:21 am
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by gemac
Here's the thread. There has been some date slippage from the originally announced Nov. 15 date. Fares may indeed go down. It is way early to be buying interisland tickets. You can easily wait until 30 days in advance. Lots of flights, not hard to get on one around the time you want.
Those who actually live in Hawai`i and fly inter-island carriers regularly know that this is not really true. It tended to much more true when Aloha was alive, but since its demise flights are loaded and fill up much further in advance.

I would not be surprised if there is some degree of fare war, but I don't think we're going to see anything like what happen when go!/Mesa came in and used its shoddy and illegal business practices to help drive Aloha under while touting how much it "loved" Hawaii.

That said, 30 days in advance should probably be fine; just be advised that it may be harder than folks who don't actually deal regularly with the situation realize, and there will be fewer of the cheaper seats.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Those who actually live in Hawai`i and fly inter-island carriers regularly know that this is not really true. It tended to much more true when Aloha was alive, but since its demise flights are loaded and fill up much further in advance.

I would not be surprised if there is some degree of fare war, but I don't think we're going to see anything like what happen when go!/Mesa came in and used its shoddy and illegal business practices to help drive Aloha under while touting how much it "loved" Hawaii.

That said, 30 days in advance should probably be fine; just be advised that it may be harder than folks who don't actually deal regularly with the situation realize, and there will be fewer of the cheaper seats.
Especially with loads on the mid-day flights being higher, I would strongly suggest locking in the fares earlier than 30 days. Even if there is a fare sales, rarely do the airlines, these days, apply it to the mid-day flights that they know are usually heavy with connecting pax. Don't risk it and think of the extra $ as assurance that you're getting the flights you want.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by slippahs
Especially with loads on the mid-day flights being higher, I would strongly suggest locking in the fares earlier than 30 days. Even if there is a fare sales, rarely do the airlines, these days, apply it to the mid-day flights that they know are usually heavy with connecting pax. Don't risk it and think of the extra $ as assurance that you're getting the flights you want.
Not to mention a decent carrier... ie- avoid YV (go!)

Side note on this then... do any inter-island carriers (excluding NW ) offer a 90 day price drop credit? AS has such a program - if the fare drops (or a lower fare bucket opens up) one can get a credit of the difference... and I know we are talking mere pineapples here... but the more poke in my belly the bettah!
Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond

I don't live in Hawaii, but I do fly interisland carriers regularly (a lot more than most people who do live in Hawaii). In my experience my statement is true.

For example, I booked a Dec. 16 HNL-OGG on Hawaiian two days ago (14 days in advance). Of the 26 HA flights that day, 24 have coach tickets still available today (12 days in advance). 20 flights offer HA's lowest coach price ($61). Two flights offer coach at $74, two offer coach at $84, and two offer only First Class at $159. The longest time period between $61 flilghts is 1 hour 45 minutes. Flights offered are:

HA 166 $61 12:50 departure
HA 576 $159 1:18 departure
HA 152 $159 1:43 departure
HA 346 $61 2:35 departure

So the longest time that one could have to adjust their schedule by would be 52 minutes (between 1:43 and 2:35) to get the cheapest possible fare. And this is 12 days in advance, not 30. And without even considering go! Go!, of course, has a 1:50 flight for $61, and I see no evidence that OP shares your feelings about interisland airline brands. If you throw go! into the equation, if the tourist preferred the 1:18 flight, they could fly 28 minutes earlier or 32 minutes later. For most tourists, adjusting their flight an hour either way is no big deal. I realize that if one is traveling on business, and wants to fly to attend a meeting at a specific time, it can be more of a problem, but that isn't the OP's situation.

Edited to add: I thought that maybe Kauai was somehow different than Maui, so I checked HA's flights for that same day (12 days from now). Of the 23 flights that day HNL-LIH, 21 have a $59 coach fare available today. One flight (HA 523 at 3:35) has a $69 coach fare, and one (HA 313 at 5:45) has a $74 coach fare. One could avoid the extra $10 or $15 by flying HA 183 at 3:11 (24 minutes earlier than HA 523) or by flying HA 553 at 5:57 (12 minutes later than HA 313). Still doesn't seem all that difficult to me.

Last edited by gemac; Dec 4, 2008 at 10:56 am
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by gemac
...I see no evidence that OP shares your feelings about interisland airline brands.
Some of us try to work on changing that feeling, and giving folks facts they otherwise wouldn't have, about how go! has been yet one more carpetbagger in the long history of mainland companies taking advantage of Hawai`i folks by pretending to honor Hawai`ian values.

Your point is taken, although OGG flights are a different creature because they're so many of them.

More than once (and most recently a couple of weeks ago), when I knew I needed an ITO or KOA flight, there were almost no cheap seats except early morning or evening.

Still doesn't seem all that difficult to me
You've been fortunate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.