Wiki Posts
Search

International upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K PM/MM, HA Plat 75k+
International upgrades

I just checked the membership benefits on Hawaiian and the 6 Intl upgrades are gone from the 75,000 mile level chart. I passed 75,000 last month and didn't get my certificates yet and now I am thinking that this benefit has been cancelled.

Is it possible its just not published now? Mid year change? I didn't get anything about that change.
--------------
Update:
I see that the 6 Intl upgrades are not on the summary of benefits chart but they are buried in the fine print notes at the bottom of the page.
Missing from the chart and fine print is the additional upgrade for each 10,000 miles additional flown. I am at 95,000 for the year.

Any one else notice this?

Last edited by PDX37; Jul 30, 2017 at 5:13 pm Reason: correct mistakes and update
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: UAL 1K, Hawaiian Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by PDX37
I just checked the membership benefits on Hawaiian and the 6 Intl upgrades are gone from the 75,000 mile level chart. I passed 75,000 last month and didn't get my certificates yet and now I am thinking that this benefit has been cancelled.

Is it possible its just not published now? Mid year change? I didn't get anything about that change.
--------------
Update:
I see that the 6 Intl upgrades are not on the summary of benefits chart but they are buried in the fine print notes at the bottom of the page.
Missing from the chart and fine print is the additional upgrade for each 10,000 miles additional flown. I am at 95,000 for the year.

Any one else notice this?
Unless it was a mid year change(which usually never happens), I am pretty sure I received a notice earlier this year of getting an additional upgrade for each 10,000 miles flown. Just call Hawaiian Miles and they will let you know how many you have earned. One thing bad about Hawaiian is you have to call in to check how many upgrades you have left because it's not on the website like other airlines. I never even knew you could use your domestic upgrades right away as soon as you hit platinum. I always thought you had to wait until the following year to use those two upgrades.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
They mail the certificates every February. As mentioned above, if you want to use them before that you need to call.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Kumulani,

Its strange to me because I always received a letter with the numbers of the certs on them, mid year so that is why I was confused 75K +. In reality is seems they just are not consistent or there is a severe delay.

I called in and the agent kept referring to the certificates as "domestic" certs, I tried to correct them and ask for clarification but the conversation was not going well so I just left it for later.

My biggest issue now is that they pull INTL certs for domestic travel and its a huge mess now due to the fact that they can reinstate erroneously pulled certificates.

I get that Hawaii is not a business airline and that I am using them for such but the agent consistency is really bad. I am applying for a Corp Account and I hope it gets better.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Recently was able to piece together answers to most my questions through various calls and communication.

6 Systemwide upgrades are earned at 75K. This was off the benefits chart but in the footnotes as I said earlier in the thread.

1 Systemwide cert for an additional 10K flown past 75K is still part of the program. I suspect this may go away in 2018 because it is not written anywhere now, it was removed when the chart was modified it seems.

Certificates are pulled according to their expiry dates irregardless of their "class". I had North American certificates that were newer (later expiry) than my systemwide certs and the Systemewide's were pulled for a flight to the West Coast. That's a real waste and Hawaiian fixed this on my account, I am greatful for that fix.

Used certificates cannot be reinstated if somehow there is a mixup. There will be extensive notes put in your file and you have to direct the new agent when making a reservation to decipher the notes. This led to further issues and complication.

Still didn't get an answer about the paper certificates I received last year when I achieved different mileage levels. I am not talking about the yearly welcome kit. No one I talked to really knew what I was talking about.
I used those paper certificates (with the certificate numbers on them) to track my usage of them. Oh well, maybe they are just delayed or discontinued.

In the end, HAL fixed everything and confirmed there was no change to the benefits (thankfully). I am happy that this was the outcome. I hope there are not substantive changes for 2018. Anyone know when they announce that?

Well done HAL
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PDX37
Recently was able to piece together answers to most my questions through various calls and communication.

6 Systemwide upgrades are earned at 75K. This was off the benefits chart but in the footnotes as I said earlier in the thread.

1 Systemwide cert for an additional 10K flown past 75K is still part of the program. I suspect this may go away in 2018 because it is not written anywhere now, it was removed when the chart was modified it seems.

Certificates are pulled according to their expiry dates irregardless of their "class". I had North American certificates that were newer (later expiry) than my systemwide certs and the Systemewide's were pulled for a flight to the West Coast. That's a real waste and Hawaiian fixed this on my account, I am greatful for that fix.

Used certificates cannot be reinstated if somehow there is a mixup. There will be extensive notes put in your file and you have to direct the new agent when making a reservation to decipher the notes. This led to further issues and complication.

Still didn't get an answer about the paper certificates I received last year when I achieved different mileage levels. I am not talking about the yearly welcome kit. No one I talked to really knew what I was talking about.
I used those paper certificates (with the certificate numbers on them) to track my usage of them. Oh well, maybe they are just delayed or discontinued.

In the end, HAL fixed everything and confirmed there was no change to the benefits (thankfully). I am happy that this was the outcome. I hope there are not substantive changes for 2018. Anyone know when they announce that?

Well done HAL
The 10,000 mile certificate benefit is still listed on their website here. I haven't heard about any changes to the mileage program for 2018.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Sure enough, its there Kumulani, thank you.

Below was the traditional place I was referring to it disappearing from:

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/haw...bership-levels
Old May 28, 2018, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

2109 update

Update for 2019:
Program changes for those of us flying more than 75K.
Seems that the differentiation between the 2 upgrade certificates earned at 40K and the upgrades earned at 75K is no longer. They are all the same now.
The big change is it takes 2 certificates to upgrade one way for Intl destinations and JFK.
6 certs will allow you to upgrade 2.5 Intl legs. At least you still get 1 cert for each 10K over the 75K.
Still a 72 hour use window.
Mostly a bummer.

Last edited by PDX37; May 30, 2018 at 5:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.