Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HA Plans for 767-300 Fleet Retirement?

Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest

Is there any sense that HA will retire their few remaining 757?

I fly the Phx-HNL route and would love to see the end of that plane one day.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 20, 2017 at 6:57 pm Reason: changed thread title
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:16 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Hawaiian doesn't operate the 757; are you thinking about the 767-300?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
If the OP is talking about the 767-300s, then yes they are already being retired. It has been mentioned here that PHX will have the 767s until the last one retires because PHX is the third-party maintenance base for the 767.

That said, we are hoping that PHX-HNL will get the A330 rather than the A321neo. If PHX ends up with the A321, it may be a disappointing downgrade!
HappyCoachFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
OK -- thanks -- yes I meant the 767 -- my bad there. I'd LOVE to see it repqced with the A330.

Regarding the A321 -- I wonder if that would be as bad as what BA and too many other European airlines do with their A321 configurations.

My typical route is to Kona, and frankly, now that AA has upgraded their coach plus jets there, I will put up with the late night flight out to Phoenix.

From Phoenix -- one of my choices is HA to HNL first -- and that would be where I'd love to see the end of the 767.

With the 767 there is that choice between coach plus (which HA calls first class) and coach.

Even with the 321neo they have the premium economy seat with the 4 to 5 inches more leg room and THAT is an improvement over all the 767 coach seats.

On the other hand, next year we have two scheduled 1st class A330 flights from HNL to SYD and then AKL to HNL -- I am very much looking forward to checking out the new configuration there.

Originally Posted by formeraa
If the OP is talking about the 767-300s, then yes they are already being retired. It has been mentioned here that PHX will have the 767s until the last one retires because PHX is the third-party maintenance base for the 767.

That said, we are hoping that PHX-HNL will get the A330 rather than the A321neo. If PHX ends up with the A321, it may be a disappointing downgrade!
Any sense on timing regarding replacement of the 767 on the PHX/HNL route?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 20, 2017 at 6:57 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BarryAZ
Regarding the A321 -- I wonder if that would be as bad as what BA and too many other European airlines do with their A321 configurations.
It won't be anywhere near that bad. The first class seats will be distinct, not just coach seats with the middle blocked off. In some ways it will actually be an upgrade over the current 767. There will be Extra Comfort seats available for sale and there will be streaming IFE to your own device rather than having to rent a tablet.

Originally Posted by BarryAZ
Any sense on timing regarding replacement of the 767 on the PHX/HNL route?
They plan to retire the 767s by the end of 2018, so you'll probably see them fly to PHX until then.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One other issue is the range of the A321neo. Nobody is sure whether it can reliably make it westbound from PHX-HNL in the hot conditions. That still remains to be seen.

I agree on the comfort plus seating and the streaming entertainment -- that is a definite upgrade for the 767. However, I LOVE and will miss the 2-3-2 seating of the 767, where there are very few undesirable middle seats. The 3-3 seating of the 321 just feels more cramped and you have to keep getting up to let someone out.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:50 am

When various 767s will be swapped out for new planes?

I've heard that Hawaiian is in the process of retiring the 767 in favor of the newly designed planes.

Anyone have any idea when various routes will be swapped? Specifically when PHX to HNL will receive the new plane?

THx

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 20, 2018 at 7:08 pm Reason: merged with recent thread on this topic
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:30 pm

PHX is where HA has maintenance done on the 767s, so it will likely be one of the last (if not the last) city to have them ... so sometime early 2019?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:39 pm
azj

Originally Posted by mybagfits
I've heard that Hawaiian is in the process of retiring the 767 in favor of the newly designed planes.

Anyone have any idea when various routes will be swapped? Specifically when PHX to HNL will receive the new plane?

THx
As of today, engine issues not withstanding for the subsequent 321neo deliveries, there are only a few 767 flights currently slated to become 321neo or 330. Right now, we can see that the resumption of the seasonal LIH and KOA-OAK will be 321. LIH-LAX, KOA-LAX and HNL-OAK are also all visible through the end of the summer. I suspect the plans are at this point, very fluid as further 321neo deliveries have been delayed.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And nobody yet seems to know whether the A321neo can make it from PHX to HNL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.