Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

New to Miles and Not Able to Redeem Mine... What?!

New to Miles and Not Able to Redeem Mine... What?!

Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Question New to Miles and Not Able to Redeem Mine... What?!

Hello,

New to FlyerTalk, although I have often read here. I need help figuring this one out. Maybe I just don't understand something, or maybe I'm being given the runaround. HELP!

So, last winter, I was coaxed into signing up for a Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card while purchasing a flight to Maui. It had a great sign-up bonus, with 50,000 miles awarded once I had spent 1K in 90 days. No problem and done. I have spent 6K more on it because the miles look GREAT from here: I am in the SFO area.

Um, but PROBLEMS.

The website says they have no blackout dates. Maybe I am misunderstanding blackout dates since apparently, all they have are blackout dates? I've never used my own miles before, just from family members. But I have 60,000+ miles now, which is, according to their site, enough for a trip to Japan. Great! I am trying to take a trip to Japan! Just perfect, right?! I have an entire month of flex-time to do this, no less, in June.

I called an agent because I couldn't figure out how to get the website to show me where I could redeem my miles. She said they didn't have any for June. Or July. I asked here when they would have available miles. She told me to "Just keep looking."

What does that even MEAN? I have the miles. I've diligently used the credit card to build up enough to go on a vacation with a lot of flexibility, and I want to redeem them. Otherwise, what's the point of this program?

It cost me 90-odd dollars to sign up, but they cannot seem to give me any information at all about how to redeem the miles that I've accrued from using their credit card to pay off every single expense for months now.

I even asked about next winter. The representative said, "You just keep looking! I don't know how. It just says when we have availability on the website sometimes."

Can someone here kindly explain if this is normal for credit card miles, if I am doing something wrong, if the agent is incompetent, or if this is something specific to Hawaiian Airlines? Like I said, I'm flex. I could fly from SFO to Tokyo or Osaka, or I could fly to LAX first if that would help too. And I have basically anytime in June to do that.

Why can't I redeem my miles?

I am frustrated. Thanks for explaining this for me! :-::-::-::-::-:
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wanderingstar Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by wanderingstar
... The representative said, "You just keep looking! I don't know how. It just says when we have availability on the website sometimes."
<snip>
Why can't I redeem my miles?
Award flights are never guaranteed to be available. The number of award seats is very limited. Just because a seat is available for cash sale does not mean its available for an award.

Awards are available from 355/330 days out to close to departure, depending on the airline. Looking for June awards in April is considered close in. Many people start looking 11-12 months out.

Some ffp's have what is often referred to as "saver" awards. These are at the minimum miles cost, plus taxes & surcharges if applicable.
Some ffp's have what is often referred to as "any time" awards that cost a lot more ff miles.
Unsure if HA has different award types

Is the SFO-Japan flight all on Hawaiian? Or another airline (ff partner)
Look got SFO-HNL separately and then HNL-Japan.

Good luck
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

That's very helpful! I thought it might be something I was doing incorrectly. It looks like I am looking too close to my dates; that's a shame. I can use the miles next Christmas, I hope, when I have a free month to travel.

I believe the award is a saver type based on what it says on the site.

I was trying to put the flight all on Hawaiian. I am not picky at all though, but they don't seem to have very many partners, and I am not sure how to look for partner tickets? Maybe if they have a partner, it would be going from SFO or LAX to Honolulu, however, and then I could pay the flight cost from SFO to Japan instead (there's a few absolutely reasonable flights on that route). How can I find out partners that would potentially offer awards for this route, thank you so much!

I know I'm very new to this, sorry, and I tried reading around but did not see much except about black-out dates, which I took to mean "times when you could not flights." I didn't realize these awards were so restricted. Ooops!
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You'd probably get the best answers on the Hawaiian Airlines forum from folks who book these flights frequently.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was trying to put the flight all on Hawaiian. I am not picky at all though, but they don't seem to have very many partners, and I am not sure how to look for partner tickets? Maybe if they have a partner, it would be going from SFO or LAX to Honolulu, however, and then I could pay the flight cost from SFO to Japan instead (there's a few absolutely reasonable flights on that route). How can I find out partners that would potentially offer awards for this route, thank you so much!
You have to look/book HA awards flights via the HA web site or phone, even if the award flight is on a ff partner airline, like AA or All Nippon Airways (NH).
For flights on HA its easier to search flights by flight SFO-HNL and then HNL-Japan and not SFO-Japan. Tends to be more reliable.
Searching for awards on partners airlines may be different.
http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/...etail/a_id/528

But the as HA phone agent said keep looking. Something may show as available even at short notice (a few days).

Good luck

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 8, 2017 at 7:44 pm
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:58 am

But I have 60,000+ miles now, which is, according to their site, enough for a trip to Japan.
Not quite. Per Hawaiian's website, a one-way coach award from Hawaii to Japan is between 40k and 80k miles, depending on availability. A one-way business award is between 65k and 130k miles. Similarly from the mainland US, the prices are between 60k-120k for coach and 105k to 210k for business. On Hawaiian's partner, ANA, a roundtrip between Hawaii and Japan is 90k in Economy and 155k in business.

Simply put, you have nowhere near enough points for a round trip to Japan.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Yeah a "blackout date" is a date upon which awards are never made available, period. It doesn't mean that an award seat will always be available on every date, or available at lower/saver levels. Award seats come and go as the airline revenue management folks constantly make adjustments - same as cash fares can vary.

If you think about it, how could an airline promise to always have a lower level award seat (or more than one for people traveling with companions) available...for every day of the year...for every one of the millions of frequent flyer program members who could happen to want one at any given time? It would be impossible. Even for "anytime" level awards (where last-seat availability is open but at a very high mileage level), eventually all seats may be taken.

Anyway, you may be able to find something one-way at the 60K level, if you could find a suitable option for the other one-way. Or you could look to supplement your miles with another source of HA miles. Or you could use those miles on something else (there are other programs with lower mileage rates to Japan from the mainland US...and other credit card bonuses to go along with that).

I'd do some reading in the HA forum and also consider the "What program...?" thread in this forum for some advice on planning FFP strategies for your overall travel goals.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk wanderingstar.

Sorry about the delay in getting your post rerouted to the appropriate forum. Was delayed by adventures in the Far East myself. We'll move your post to the Hawaiian Airlines forum for greater exposure.

Best of luck.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.