N494HA - Missing the Pualani!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
N494HA - Missing the Pualani!

Just thought I'd post this for anyone else who'd get a chuckle out of it. Spotted N494HA today while waiting to board:

Delivered on 2/7 and I guess HA hasn't allowed the Pualani to grace the tail yet.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:53 am
azj

Pualani will grace the tail later this month. Not sure why it wasn't delivered with the tail logo, because the other new arrival will be fully liveried up.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by azj
Pualani will grace the tail later this month. Not sure why it wasn't delivered with the tail logo, because the other new arrival will be fully liveried up.
What is the reason for the new aircraft, is the interisland market booming or are other craft being taken out of service? I thought that direct flights were reducing the need for interisland transit, but perhaps the overall growth of tourism is having an effect...
Old Mar 4, 2017, 3:01 pm
azj

Originally Posted by 747FC
What is the reason for the new aircraft, is the interisland market booming or are other craft being taken out of service? I thought that direct flights were reducing the need for interisland transit, but perhaps the overall growth of tourism is having an effect...
The new planes will allow an increase in flying during the peak travel times during the day. It will also allow HA to spread the cycles each day among more airplanes. As the original fleet ages, they'll need more maintenance and the two new planes allow for other planes to be out of service longer.

2/3 of all interisland traffic are locals going about daily life. The other 1/3 is connecting traffic from HA flights and pretty much all other carriers inbound to HNL. Even with an increase in mainland-neighbor island flights by HA, the bulk of the travelers will always be local traffic, therefore a noticeable reduction in 717 flying will likely be minimal, if it happens at all.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by azj
The new planes will allow an increase in flying during the peak travel times during the day. It will also allow HA to spread the cycles each day among more airplanes. As the original fleet ages, they'll need more maintenance and the two new planes allow for other planes to be out of service longer.

2/3 of all interisland traffic are locals going about daily life. The other 1/3 is connecting traffic from HA flights and pretty much all other carriers inbound to HNL. Even with an increase in mainland-neighbor island flights by HA, the bulk of the travelers will always be local traffic, therefore a noticeable reduction in 717 flying will likely be minimal, if it happens at all.
Thanks for the insights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.