What Does "No Blackouts" Mean?

Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

What Does "No Blackouts" Mean?

So, the Hawaiian website and the credit card both tout no blackouts, and the Hawaiian award chart misleadingly suggests that flex awards are available when the two saver categories are not.

What does "no blackouts" mean? I just texted with HI and they note that all awards are capacity controlled, and the website clearly says that too. Looking at award flights around the holidays and it's pretty clear that there are no mileage tickets on many days and never were. Does "blackout" have some meaning that makes this legit? Like, "well, we're not saying we'll never release award space on that date, but we'll only do it revenue management makes it so that it makes sense"? It's their program, they can do what they like, but it seems to me pretty clear they are attempting to mislead people into spending on the card with coming very close to the line of suggesting last seat availability but without disclosing the actual truth.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
"No blackouts" does not mean there will always be awards available. "Capacity controlled" just means there is a limited number of seats. Unlike other airlines which have a cheaper limited awards and expensive unlimited awards, Hawaiian only has the limited kind. Flex awards are not unlimited, they are just another category that becomes available once the savers are gone. Once the Flex awards are gone, no more award bookings for that flight. Obviously around the holidays, awards go quickly. Are you sure there were never any awards available for the dates you're looking at?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

I can't say for sure but I'm skeptical. It looks to me as though once tickets are over $450 (one way) there is virtually never a mileage ticket even at the flex level and even at 331 days. I've even stayed up late to when tix first open.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, Club Carlson, AA, UA, AS, SQ, AF
Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I am experiencing what the OP is talking about. I'm looking at flying christmas day, and it is clear that Hawaiian is just not making mile award available for the days leading up to Christmas. I have been looking for the last month and have it marked in my calendar when the date opens up. Early December has tons of flights. the 23rd and 24th do not.

I found this thread when i was searching "blackout" on this forum because I remember that being touted as one of the perks of these miles.

Am I missing something? I am new to using HA miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.