Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Makani Kai Air Flight Incidents (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

[FAA investigating close call between Hawaiian Air, Makani Kai planes]

Just saw this on the KHNL news tonight. Probably will be in tomorrow's papers. Scary.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 12, 2017 at 12:02 pm Reason: edited after thread merge
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:57 am

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/clip/13...ani-kai-planes
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:04 am

Yeah this is scary indeed. From the article I read, it sounds like the cessna tried to take off without clearance. The article also paints the HA pilots in a nice light, as they reportedly did catch the error and were turning to avoid the collision before the tower notified them.

edit: thanks for the video! Good timing.

was it one of their wide-bodies? The article states 717 but the video shows the... 767? Or a330? 50:50 chance it's right. I'll guess media got it wrong for the imagery.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by eeflyer
Yeah this is scary indeed. From the article I read, it sounds like the cessna tried to take off without clearance. The article also paints the HA pilots in a nice light, as they reportedly did catch the error and were turning to avoid the collision before the tower notified them.

edit: thanks for the video! Good timing.

was it one of their wide-bodies? The article states 717 but the video shows the... 767? Or a330? 50:50 chance it's right. I'll guess media got it wrong for the imagery.
Looks like all the aircraft footage is from the files (including A330 at KOA...).
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:16 pm

Makani Kai - Another Incident

It looks like Makani Kai had yet another incident today. Makani Kai Cessna Caravan had a hard landing when landing in Molokai which resulted in the aircraft's nose gear collapsing and damaging the propeller and wings in addition to damage to the engine cowling.

News story from today's incident.

This is their third incident within recent years. In early February they had a close call in Maui when they crossed paths with a Hawaiian 717 aircraft. In December of 2013 they had another Cessna Caravan that had engine failure which resulted in the aircraft ditching in the ocean and unfortunately one person did perish.

It does make me think twice about booking with them.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 12, 2017 at 12:03 pm Reason: moved into consolidated thread
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
>tfw you long for the day Kalaupapa is opened to the general public as a normal national park and you can get there on normal airlines and comfortable planes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.