Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Can I combine the 50% off companion fare offer with points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

I just signed up for the HA Mastercard that comes with the one-time 50% off companion ticket. The fine print says:
When booking your flights online, be sure to select 2 passengers. Both passengers must book travel on the same flight record, fare and class of service and must travel on all flight segments together. Primary cardholder must be one of the passengers on the flight record, and tickets must be purchased with the Primary cardholder's Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard.

Does this mean I can't buy the first ticket using points? Do I need to charge the price of both tickets (100% of ticket 1 plus 50% of ticket 2) to my Mastercard?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
From the hawaiian airlines mastercard website

[3] Companion Discount Benefits: New Primary Cardholders are eligible to earn a one-time 50% off discount toward one published roundtrip coach fare for a Companion. One-time 50% off discount is valid for 13 months from account open date. Allow up to 5 days after account approval for companion discount to be available for use. Upon payment of annual fee, the Primary Cardholder is also eligible to earn a one hundred dollar ($100) discount off one coach companion ticket on each credit card account anniversary, which is valid for 12 months from account anniversary. Discounts are valid only for coach fare for named HawaiianMiles member and their companion for roundtrip travel between North America and Hawaii booked directly through the Primary Cardholder’s HawaiianMiles account using his or her Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard and are subject to change. Named HawaiianMiles member and their companion must be booked on the same reservation, discount will be applied to the companion coach fare. Ticketing by E ticket only. Discount not applied to taxes, fees, and surcharges. Government taxes and fees and carrier-imposed fees will be applied to each ticket purchase. Other restrictions apply. Cost subject to change. Fares are subject to availability. Additional baggage charges may apply. Offer may not be combined with, applied to, or applied towards HawaiianMiles flight awards redeemed using miles. Offer not valid on Neighbor Island flights, multi-city reservations, codeshare flights with Hawaiian codeshare airlines, First Class or Extra Comfort fares, or open tickets. Discount cannot be applied to tickets already purchased. eCertificate offer can only be redeemed through HawaiianMiles’ member’s account on HawaiianAirlines.com. eCertificates are not transferable, have no cash value, and will not be replaced if lost or stolen. eCertificate may not be combined with, applied to, or used in conjunction with any other discount, promotional offer or tour package. eCertificate does not apply to vacation package bookings, including flights booked with a hotel on HawaiianAirlines.com. Flights booked in H and K class of service may not qualify for other airline frequent flyer miles. Standard Hawaiian Airlines eCertificate Terms and Conditions apply.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

I've read that, which is what led to my question. From your post, it says "Discounts are valid only for coach fare for named HawaiianMiles member and their companion for roundtrip travel between North America and Hawaii booked directly through the Primary Cardholder’s HawaiianMiles account using his or her Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard and are subject to change."

From the fine print it appears I need to charge the full fare of the primary ticket onto the MasterCard. However, I've read some old posts on travel forums from tourists who signed up for the card just to get 75% off their airfare (the signup bonus covers 100% of primary ticket and 50% of the companion ticket). It seems they were able to use their bonus signup points to book an award flight and then use the 50% off companion voucher to cover half of the 2nd ticket. These posts were from earlier this year, so I'm wondering if maybe Hawaiian changed their policy.

Last edited by Twixboy; Dec 2, 2016 at 1:30 pm
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
correct, payment is made from your HA cc. You need to book from your HA miles account as there is an 'electronic' coupon that you choose from.

Once you book, you may get the option to 'bid for upgrade with cash' or you could try calling and see if you can use miles to upgrade.

good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.