Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Air and Korean Air interlining

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 1:52 am
Original Poster

I'm planning to book HNL-ICN-RGN on two separate tickets - HNL-ICN on Hawaiian Air and ICN-RGN on Korean Air with a 22.5 hrs forced layover in ICN. Would Hawaiian Air allow baggage through-check to my final destination? Are there any risks in buying two separate tickets instead of a single itinerary (particularly HA and KE)? Would appreciate any insights. Thanks in advance.
Old May 16, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat 75k, CA Phoenix Gold
HA and KAL have an interline agreement (http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1975/~/interline-baggage-statement). Otherwise, I did not notice any particularly strong relationship between both airlines. Asiana handles HA flights at ICN, not KAL. HA itself does not have a customer facing presence at ICN itself that you could easily access in case of any problems. (I found out about this accidentially last week when trying to get a seat upgrade without exiting the ICN transit area for my ICN / HNL flight after arriving on KAL from Shanghai.) It does not really matter whether you buy the ticket separately.

Forced layover? Consider yourself lucky. You have more than 22 hours, so I would definitely spend time in Seoul city rather than at ICN. (Even though ICN is a REALLY nice airport with many interesting shops and high quality foods.) Simply catch either limousine bus 6703 or 6009 right outside the arrival area. The ride takes one hour during off peak hours, 15-20 minutes longer between 7:30-10am, and it costs about 10,000 KRW (about 7 USD) one way. Buses have comfortable recliner seats and are a great place to catch some sleep after red eyes. I do not recommend taking a taxi from ICN to Seoul -- traffic can be terrible and Korean taxis tend to be a bit erratic and can drive VERY unsafely. Seoul is a fantastic, fantastic city with great restaurants, palaces, markets, ..., people watching.

ICN is also one of the few airports in the region that have an outlet that will hold your bags for you for a small charge. The service is at the far right end of the ICN arrival hall (facing back at arrival doors) and I've used it 5 times during the last six months with no issues at all.

Last edited by Alex909; May 16, 2016 at 6:55 pm
Old May 16, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by Alex909
...Simply catch either limousine bus 6703 or 6009 right outside the arrival area. The ride takes one hour during off peak hours, 15-20 minutes longer between 7:30-10am, and it costs about 10,000 KRW (about 7 USD) one way....ICN is also one of the few airports in the region that have an outlet that will hold your bags for you for a small charge. The service is at the far right end of the ICN arrival hall, (facing arrival doors) and I've used it 5 times during the last six months with no issues at all.
^ Great info, Alex909! Thank you.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much Alex909. You must have a lot of knowledge about the region.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:05 am
azj

HA recently changed ground handling vendors from KE to OZ. There are station managers that work for HA, that's about it. I think your time on the ground is too long to check a bag all the way through. Absolutely take advantage of your time in Seoul! Eat eat eat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.