Possible HA A321neo Routes?

Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Possible HA A321neo Routes?

So over the next few years HA will be phasing out their 767's and phasing in their new A321neo's as they're delivered. Clearly the new narrowbodies are going to be used on the old 767 routes. Maybe they will add more routes as well that may have had trouble sustaining a widebody before, like more flights from smaller west coast cities or more flights to LIH and KOA.

But what about the existing west coast A330 routes? Do you see any of those being retained once they get the narrowbodies? Or do you think they'll be replaced entirely by multiple A321 flights, leaving the A330's exclusively for east coast and international routes?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:11 pm

I think HA is going to use the A321 to Tahiti and might double the frequency. Perhaps Pago Pago too.

The West coast flights with only one flight a day might get more frequencies or get flights to the neighbor islands.

Or you might get one A330 flight in the morning and one A321 in the evening to the West coast?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: HA Platinum, UA Silver
My predictions:

Replacing A330/763
HNL-OAK/SJC/PPG/PPT
All OGG/LIH/KOA routes

New routes:
OGG-PDX/SMF/SFO/SAN
LIH-SEA/PDX/SFO/SAN
KOA-SEA/PDX/SFO/SAN

Increased frequency:
HNL-SEA/PDX/SFO/SMF/SAN/PPG/PPT
LIH-LAX/OAK
KOA-LAX/OAK
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:50 pm
azj

Nothing official has been announced but the primary role will be to fill in the gaps from the neighbor islands to the west coast. A few routes that currently see 330s today will become 321s in an effort to add frequency/capacity. It's already been said that there will not be a massive drawdown of 330 flying from the west coast. As for the 767s it remains to be seen if they'll see 1 for 1 replacement by the 321.

The 321 will not be able to handle the cargo volume that is carried on both widebodies. So... where HA carries lots of cargo, you will likely still see the 330. This includes LAX, SFO, OAK, SEA.

For current 767 flying, I wouldn't be surprised if SMF and SJC see the 321. PHX is a bit of a wild card to me. I think it will go 330 from HNL and if possible 321 from OGG. It could end up being a 321 station if it can perform well. The 330 will go to CTS for obvious reasons. This leaves PPG which is an interesting case. Loads are healthy, lots of cargo is carried and the HA service is a lifeline to the folks in American Samoa. HA has always been shy to take the 330 down there, due I would imagine in large part to logistics and fear of taking the "new toy" down there to get beat up by the airport and birds down there. I can't see the 321 replacing the 767 completely for PPG though. Perhaps there will still be the need for maybe 1 weekly widebody and an increase in frequency with the 321. I do however, see PPT migrating to the 321 eventually with an increase in frequency.

Stay tuned... first delivery is next summer!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Will the 321 become a feeder bird?

Anyone think that the A321s will venture further than the West Coast, and pickup/dropoff passengers from secondary destinations.

For example, HNL<->LAX<->(pick one: DEN/ORD/ETC.)?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:54 pm
azj

Originally Posted by 747FC
Anyone think that the A321s will venture further than the West Coast, and pickup/dropoff passengers from secondary destinations.

For example, HNL<->LAX<->(pick one: DEN/ORD/ETC.)?
Not gonna happen.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Can the 321NEO make it from the islands to/from PHX without capacity restrictions? It is the only wide body from PHX to the islands...I'd hate to lose it...
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Any chance BOS might get an A330 when the 321's come along??? Sure hoping for one! But I know AZJ already knows that :-)

Originally Posted by davidsc111
Can the 321NEO make it from the islands to/from PHX without capacity restrictions? It is the only wide body from PHX to the islands...I'd hate to lose it...
I hear that! Wide bodies are better all around!

Don't count this as 100% correct, but iirc from the linked article, HA's A321neo's will NOT be the A321neo LR variant but the standard A321neo

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...on-pla-417006/

Some numbers to think over:
PHX-HNL on GCMap is quoted as ~2535nm

The CURRENT sharklet equipped A321's range is 3200nmi (depends on configuration etc) so it seems to be well within reach with sharklet A321ceo's now-without my figuring in the high/hot limits that I know 757's have out of PHX

The A321neo and 321N/LR have respective ranges of 3650 and 4000-4100nm
So as it was mentioned before-it'll likely wind up beingwhether or not PHX can fill up an A330 consistently. Either way, you'll still have Hawaiian's epic service and aloha spirit!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 2, 2017 at 6:25 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FBWFTW
I hear that! Wide bodies are better all around!

Don't count this as 100% correct, but iirc from the linked article, HA's A321neo's will NOT be the A321neo LR variant but the standard A321neo

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...on-pla-417006/

Some numbers to think over:
PHX-HNL on GCMap is quoted as ~2535nm

The CURRENT sharklet equipped A321's range is 3200nmi (depends on configuration etc) so it seems to be well within reach with sharklet A321ceo's now-without my figuring in the high/hot limits that I know 757's have out of PHX

The A321neo and 321N/LR have respective ranges of 3650 and 4000-4100nm
So as it was mentioned before-it'll likely wind up beingwhether or not PHX can fill up an A330 consistently. Either way, you'll still have Hawaiian's epic service and aloha spirit!
The former US Airways management said that the current A321 could NOT make it reliably from PHX-HNL due to the high/hot limitations. I remember several years ago that they asked Airbus to ensure that the 321neo have the range to make from PHX-Hawaii in high/hot conditions. And I think US was not referring to the neo LR version, but the standard version of the 321neo (easier for fleet scheduling purposes).
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by formeraa
The former US Airways management said that the current A321 could NOT make it reliably from PHX-HNL due to the high/hot limitations. I remember several years ago that they asked Airbus to ensure that the 321neo have the range to make from PHX-Hawaii in high/hot conditions. And I think US was not referring to the neo LR version, but the standard version of the 321neo (easier for fleet scheduling purposes).
I recall reading the same exact thing and that being why the old AW 75's were still running that route much to the chagrin of pax everywhere. So the standard A321Neo will likely have the legs to do it but it remains to be seen whether or not HA will roll with the widebody 330 or the narrow 321. I would take a WAG that if they can routinely fill an A330-they'll certainly try to use one-that way they can further differentiate their service from AA/US for the PHX folks.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I totally agree. However, since HA has left the 763 on the PHX route for so long, it may be a sign that the 330 would not be profitable.

Hopefully, I'm wrong although I end up on those AA/US/HP 757's most of the time because of time and fare considerations.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by azj
Not gonna happen.
Well until the AS acquisition
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by azj
This leaves PPG which is an interesting case. Loads are healthy, lots of cargo is carried and the HA service is a lifeline to the folks in American Samoa. HA has always been shy to take the 330 down there, due I would imagine in large part to logistics and fear of taking the "new toy" down there to get beat up by the airport and birds down there. I can't see the 321 replacing the 767 completely for PPG though. Perhaps there will still be the need for maybe 1 weekly widebody and an increase in frequency with the 321. I do however, see PPT migrating to the 321 eventually with an increase in frequency.
N592HA operating as HA 465 hit birds during landing on both HNL-PPG flights this week. I arrived here in PPG on the Monday night flight (we landed safely), and the return was cancelled. Ferry flight came down Tue to pick up everyone then 592 eventually left Wed morning. The same plane hit birds again tonight on landing, cancelling my return flight to HNL. Looks like yet another ferry flight will head down here on Saturday. So - don't see the 321 or the 330 coming here anytime soon.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
What about a return to ANC?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by beckoa
What about a return to ANC?
I'd love it, but how much could they peel off from AS?

I took the HA A332 on HNL-PDX in F earlier this year. That is the way to go to/from the Islands if the schedule works out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.