Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible HA A321neo Routes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:27 pm

When are we gonna hear route plans for this?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:52 pm
azj

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
When are we gonna hear route plans for this?
Specific details will likely be disclosed as firm dates are nailed down for deliveries on the planes. It's sort of a moving target at this point, with deliveries slipping from Summer 2017 to Fall 2017, to maybe later now.

General plans however, have been widely talked about by HA for their plans with the plane. The new fleet will be used to retire the 767, increase frequency on current routes, continue to connect the dots within the current network, launch new markets, replace certain 330 flights, which will then free up those 330s to launch new markets and/or add frequencies to current ones.

Originally Posted by SST
Neo Single-aisle planes for West Coast routes: well, they certainly wasted a lot of advertising over the past few years telling us Californians how we deserved a jumbo jet (unlike Alaska's 737s and the various 320s and 757's) and we ought to fly Hawaiian.

This pitch has gone on for some time; now, HA will be flying pint-sized metal to the islands, too. If that was their plan, hope they fire whomever thought up the whole big plane campaign. What a waste!
I wouldn't consider 32 years of widebody flying to the west coast a waste. The 321 will not bring an end to this either, it will enhance it. In the end, the network will expand with more flights and more options to get to Hawaii. Let's not over dramatize the situation here. Business must evolve to stay relevant and competitive.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 14, 2017 at 7:13 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
What are they going to do about PHX? Will they go to an A330 or A321neo? Can the A321neo even make it that far?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Kumulani
What are they going to do about PHX? Will they go to an A330 or A321neo? Can the A321neo even make it that far?
Depends on what HAL decides to do regarding frequency from PHX. If they intend to continue to fly just PHX-HNL, the flight is likely going to an A330-200. If HAL were to split the flight into say PHX-HNL/OGG, then the A321 NEO is likely. The A321 NEO can make both flights, even in the summer time. HAL selected a higher thrust version of Pratt and Whitney's GTF engine to power the A321 NEO specifically so it could operate out of OGG/LIH. However, I'd bet that HAL will not add additional service to PHX and will just upgauge the single PHX-HNL flight to an A330-200 as AA has PHX-Hawai'i covered pretty well.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Any chance HAL would consider adding service from SNA with the A321, to fill the void left by Aloha's demise?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
Any chance HAL would consider adding service from SNA with the A321, to fill the void left by Aloha's demise?
No, runway is too short.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Longboater
No, runway is too short.
Thanks for crushing my hopes and dreams.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
They might try ONT again.

Originally Posted by eeflyer
Cool, thanks for the reply. I guess I can see how unlikely it would be for someone to want to sleep on a 5 hour trip to the mainland. It would be a plus to have on the HNL-LAX redeye, but that wouldn't be in the airline's best interests.
I would expect the HNL-LAX route to continue to be flown with the larger A330's. So, the HNL-LAX redeye would have the flat bed seats.

As for PHX, it might actually be a mix of A321s and A330s depending on the day of week. Also, it remains to be seen how the A321 operates in the extreme heat of PHX during the summer (actual performance can be different than theoretical performance).

Originally Posted by formeraa
As for PHX, it might actually be a mix of A321s and A330s depending on the day of week. Also, it remains to be seen how the A321 operates in the extreme heat of PHX during the summer (actual performance can be different than theoretical performance).
Just another thought. HA's flight leave early in the morning (usually by 8am). So, the early morning temperature (usually below 90) should be fine for the HA A321. OTOH, AA might have some problems with A321 flights departing in the afternoons when the temps can soar up to 120 during the summer.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 26, 2018 at 6:18 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:01 am

Just got an email within the last hour from Hawaiian:

Announcing new year-round routes

We are excited to expand our West Coast presence next year with all new A321 aircraft. This means
restarting non-stop daily service between Portland and Maui, as well as having year-round, non-stop
daily services between Oakland and Kauai and Los Angeles and Kona.
PDX-OGG starts January 28, 2018.
LAX-KOA starts March 11, 2018.
OAK-LIH starts April 11, 2018.

A321neo inaugural will be January 8, 2018, on OAK-OGG: https://newsroom.hawaiianairlines.co...321neo-flights

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 26, 2017 at 6:37 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! Nice addition!

I was hoping PHX-OGG/KOA/LIH by operated A321neo. That way they can freeing up the entire A332 aircraft.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Still hoping for HNL-BUR!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
The new A321neo's will allow HA to serve a few more routes. I chuckle when the media says that it will allow them to serve MANY new routes. NOT REALLY. The distance from Hawaii to the mainland pretty much limits each aircraft to one roundtrip per day, plus HA needs a spare in case of unscheduled maintenance. Oh yes, and they are retiring the remaining 763's.

This will definitely give HA the ability to add some thinner markets from the West Coast and possibly LAS/PHX (depending on the high/hot capabilities of the aircraft). But it won't be an overwhelming expansion like some in the media like to call it.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:12 pm

Hawaiian Airlines A321 NEO

The first photo of Hawaiian's first A321 NEO, powered by PW1133G engines, which has greater thrust than the CFM LEAP engines. Surprised HAL didn't pick the more powerful PW1135G engines for takeoffs out of LIH and OGG.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by Longboater
Hawaiian Airlines A321 NEO

The first photo of Hawaiian's first A321 NEO, powered by PW1133G engines, which has greater thrust than the CFM LEAP engines. Surprised HAL didn't pick the more powerful PW1135G engines for takeoffs out of LIH and OGG.
Oooh! Very exciting. I’m very interested to see what if anything the arrival of these A321s will do for east coast Service (and with the addition of WN shortly) fares, city pairs and competition.
EDIT: Upon further inspection I need glasses... It’s single bogie gear :-/

Last edited by FBWFTW; Oct 15, 2017 at 4:58 pm
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FBWFTW
Oooh! Very exciting. I’m very interested to see what if anything the arrival of these A321s will do for east coast Service (and with the addition of WN shortly) fares, city pairs and competition.
EDIT: Upon further inspection I need glasses... It’s single bogie gear :-/
THis should clear up some A330s though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.