Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Airlines Extra Comfort Seat Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaiian Airlines Extra Comfort Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by likry2000
Flying to/from Hawaii in April-JFK-HNL and back. Day flight there, red eye back. So I was thinking row 11 extra comfort there for extra leg room since we probably wont be sleeping and row 13 home so we can recline without encroaching on anyone behind us. My concern is being so close to the bathroom. On seatguru it looks like there is a fair distance between row 13 and the restrooms but it is just a schematic. It's a long flight so bathroom is used frequently I am assuming, though hoping not as much overnight. Anyone with row 13 experience at night able to weigh in on this?
Thanks!
I only have row 11/12 AB/HJ experience to and from JFK twice and to LAX once On my LAX flight, the couple behind us in row 13 put on eye masks, reclined all the way back as far as they could go and went to sleep for the entire flight-nothing seemed to bug them one bit and the recline seemed similar/equal (but against the bulkhead of course) when I got up to use the lav. As for the lav light and disturbance, you're shielded from it pretty well in the mini cabin-there shouldn't be an issue w taking row 13 and being bothered by the noise from the galley.

I would personally advise AGAINST taking row 13 since you're going in April.
The lie flat fleet mods will be well underway by then.
Assuming ~30 days per plane mod and there's 3 already, they'll be up to 8 or 9 planes by April which is a bit under half the total fleet of 23.

If that's the case, there's a chance you could get a nasty surprise (in this case anyhow) of a newly configured plane without row 13. So with that being said:

For now, I really think it's better to take row 11 especially if you can get it at booking this way you can
A: GUARANTEE yourself a seat in the mini cabin if the aircraft happens to change to a lie flat and row 13 ceases to exist for your flight.
and
B. You'll have the best Y+ seats on the plane either way!

Basically with the new config and F bulkhead, row 11 AB/HJ is in the spot where Row 13 AB/HJ are.

I would also say take the HJ on row 11 since in the new config there seems to be an oxygen bottle or something behind 11AB (see pic below)

If I was a betting man-I'd give odds around 55/45 that you WON'T get a new flatbed configured plane...
BUT, with JFK being the longest domestic flight, I'd wager good money that they'll put a flatbed A/C on that route as soon as they feasibly can to compete with UA and/or DL's offerings. Perhaps someone around here who "knows" could give better odds on the JFK flatbed situation/plans but I really would not be shocked at all if your seatmap changes to the new one between now and April.
(Pardon my elaborate avgeek ramblings about fleet mods and size-I've had a cold/medicine head for a couple days... bottom line-you 100% can't go wrong with row 11 in both/any directions)

So in this pic-the "new" seat map has those seats by the window as row 11.

Full post:
http://thepointsguy.com/2016/05/hawa...usiness-class/

Last edited by FBWFTW; Oct 24, 2016 at 9:56 pm
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond,,B6,DL,WN
Thanks so much for the great response! I searched FT, YouTube even Yelp for reviews on the Extra Comfort but there really is a little about row 11 and even less about 12 and 13. 11 is still available on both of my flights so I will heed your advice and take 11 on both. Thanks again!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:53 am
azj

Thanks so much for the great response! I searched FT, YouTube even Yelp for reviews on the Extra Comfort but there really is a little about row 11 and even less about 12 and 13. 11 is still available on both of my flights so I will heed your advice and take 11 on both. Thanks again!
I agree... row 11 is win win.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:28 pm

You're quite welcome.
*I've DM'd you my two YouTube video reviews and also my HA yelp review and pics I've taken on HA to help you out. Row 11 is a "not-so-secret" type of secret and I'm sure folks that have flown row 11 like to keep the competition at bay! The solution to that is book early and often because when the fleet is 100% retrofitted the mini cabin will only have 12 seats instead of 24 and it'll be tough to get in there without booking far far in advance!

*Edit
Since I couldn't figure it how to DM you, here are the links I promised:
Yelp Review:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/hawaiian-ai..._source=oshare

YouTube "Reviews"
Jan 2015 trip: 12J
December 2015 Trip 11A/J

Hope that helps a bit. Only thing I can suggest for row 11 is perhaps one of those foldable stools for your feet. I'll also dig for some more row 11 pics. If you google up "Hawaiian Airlines Row 11" you should be able to get some solid pics and reviews as well-they may even be posted up thread here or in the Hawaiian Airlines A330 thread.

Last edited by FBWFTW; Oct 25, 2016 at 1:41 pm Reason: Couldn't send DM
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:18 pm

I did see the first video on YouTube but not the 2nd one so thanks. I also had read your Yelp review! I'll be doing a B6 BUF-JFK leg. I snagged 11 H&J. I just ordered an inflatable foot stool and lumbar pillow from Amazon. One of my kids lived in Bangkok for a year and I never visited him because the flights are just too long for my back in economy(16 hours to Hong Kong, then another 2+). This at 10+ will be a challenge so the extra legroom will hopefully help. Thanks again!!

Last edited by likry2000; Oct 25, 2016 at 6:28 pm
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:05 pm

I did see the first video on YouTube but not the 2nd one so thanks. I also had read your Yelp review! I'll be doing a B6 BUF-JFK leg. I snagged 11 H&J. I just ordered an inflatable foot stool and lumbar pillow from Amazon. One of my kids lived in Bangkok for a year and I never visited him because the flights are just too long for my back in economy(16 hours to Hong Kong, then another 2+). This at 10+ will be a challenge so the extra legroom will hopefully help. Thanks again!!
You're gonna love it-especially with the stool and lumbar pillow. Glad you could catch one video at least. IF you're interested in going for it-there may be a chance for you to upgrade to F last minute at checkin or the gate if you're interested I think it's $650 day of for one way upgrade and it will offer that at the kiosks at checkin-we kept that open as an option for our red eye back to JFK but since the F cabin is so small it's usually full.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:59 pm

Thanks for all the advice and I'm glad I took it. I just went on the site to see if extra comfort was filling up and I see now F is the lie-flat seating on both flights. So my seats 11 H&J now have no seats behind us. We can recline all the way without getting in anyone else's space. Yay! Row 11 goes from A-J. Row 12 is just C-G. No more Row 13. Thanks again!

Last edited by likry2000; Nov 17, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Old May 5, 2017, 2:20 pm

FBWFTW- took our trip in 11 H&J. It was great. I wasn't able to use my foot rest as legroom wasn't quite enough for that but no complaints, still plenty of room. Seats recline(when they work) fine. Oxygen tanks behind 11 A&B and H&J did not interfere. Lav and galley no problem. Had great flights. Thanks again for the help in picking our seats!
Old May 7, 2017, 2:37 pm

We enjoyed 13 H&J to/from Tahiti a few weeks ago. If you know where your stuff is up above or under the seats in front of you, you can get off the plane VERY QUICKLY. The bathroom being on the other side of the galley/door doesn't really make it that much of an issue.

The seats just need a LITTLE bit more padding on the eat, otherwise a pretty good upgrade for the price.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:07 am

I have booked row 11/H&J SEA-HNL and row 15/A&B HNL-SEA. I have two questions. In the new A330 config, where is the IFE screen or what do they use? I am also curious as to others thoughts on if bidding for F is worth the extra $$ for a >6-hour flight for either/both flights, or? Mahalo in advance!
Old May 11, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nwkauaiboy
I have booked row 11/H&J SEA-HNL and row 15/A&B HNL-SEA. I have two questions. In the new A330 config, where is the IFE screen or what do they use? I am also curious as to others thoughts on if bidding for F is worth the extra $$ for a >6-hour flight for either/both flights, or? Mahalo in advance!
IFE in coach is unchanged from the previous A330 configuration. Row 11 IFE will fold out of your armrest, row 15 will be on the back of the seat in front of you.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kumulani
IFE in coach is unchanged from the previous A330 configuration. Row 11 IFE will fold out of your armrest, row 15 will be on the back of the seat in front of you.
Thank you!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:17 am

Row 11 pairs by the window are taken. Any thoughts on the center section Rows 11 and 12? Or should I just go to the main cabin Extra Comfort? Thanks.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by warren8525
Row 11 pairs by the window are taken. Any thoughts on the center section Rows 11 and 12? Or should I just go to the main cabin Extra Comfort? Thanks.
First off-which seat map/flight are you on? I'm guessing they've stopped the retrofits for the summer season so it matters if there's 11-13 in the mini cabin or just 11-12.

If it's the OLD recliner first class config with extra comfort mini cabin in rows 11-13, I've sat in 12 H/J-plenty comfy and worth it to be in mini cabin. Also-row 34AB/HJ is worth a look. If it's the NEW first class config I'd say row 14, or the row 34 pairs by windows.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by FBWFTW
First off-which seat map/flight are you on? I'm guessing they've stopped the retrofits for the summer season so it matters if there's 11-13 in the mini cabin or just 11-12.

If it's the OLD recliner first class config with extra comfort mini cabin in rows 11-13, I've sat in 12 H/J-plenty comfy and worth it to be in mini cabin. Also-row 34AB/HJ is worth a look. If it's the NEW first class config I'd say row 14, or the row 34 pairs by windows.
Thanks for info. The plane is the newer reconfigured one with lie-flat first class and only Rows 11 and 12 in the minicabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.