Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HA Contemplating More East Coast Routes...

HA Contemplating More East Coast Routes...

Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Let's put N/S DCA-HNL service to bed, please! The DCA runway is not long enough to carry a full load on that route.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Originally Posted by Executrip
Well...it would certainly be terrific if Hawaiian established routes from YYZ, or YUL to HNL. The populations of each center could certainly sustain this route ..year round. The dismal seasonal offering by AC/AC Rouge would be put on notice...to say the least.
Ideally if Hawaiian was to expand...to Canada, I would like to see a YVR-HNL routing. This is the jumping off point for Western Canada...and would see a fair bit of traffic.
IIRC, HA ran YVR- HNL a few years ago (might be 10 years ago) for only about 2 or 3 years then discontinued it. Might have been the market at the time that killed it. Certainly could press AC (Rouge) & WestJet a bit on price, but I don't think these leisure routes to Hawaii are big moneymakers...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:50 am

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by haddon90
DL had 767 service for the inauguration in 2009 from ATL. it was only for that weekend.

that 787 would have been fairly empty departing DCA.

and HA has 0% chance of operating n/s HNL-DCA.
I dunno if anyone REALLY thought they were going to go to DCA-I think it was in jest and the 787 video kinda made it take off ;-)
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: UA, HA
If DC ever got better transport to/fro IAD, then the appeal of DCA (for we long-haul entrants) would diminish, and fora like this would have fewer salivating fantasies. (Ahem, metro stop! Cough, don'tletLAXpassyouby!).
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
If DC ever got better transport to/fro IAD, then the appeal of DCA (for we long-haul entrants) would diminish, and fora like this would have fewer salivating fantasies. (Ahem, metro stop! Cough, don'tletLAXpassyouby!).
i believe the silver line is supposed to be completed by 2019 to IAD? that will be nice.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by haddon90
i believe the silver line is supposed to be completed by 2019 to IAD? that will be nice.
It will be nice, assuming it ever happens. Given the [mess] that Metro (and IAD, too) is, I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 6, 2017 at 5:11 am Reason: Profanity is not allowed under FT Rules
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
OK, so IAD is a fortress hub and DCA can't make it work runway-wise.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how about BWI?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
It will be nice, assuming it ever happens. Given the [mess] that Metro (and IAD, too) is, I'll believe it when I see it.
I think standard advice is "believe when I see it" for just about anything, right?

Originally Posted by Kumulani
OK, so IAD is a fortress hub and DCA can't make it work runway-wise.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how about BWI?
Smart mention. BWI is a great airport for its purpose (especially WN/Southwest), but still only has marginal transit to/fro DC proper. It definitely has more runway length and no airspace restrictions like DCA.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 6, 2017 at 5:11 am Reason: edited quote
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa
The key for HA is sufficient local O/D demand to Hawaii. West Coast markets have a lot of local passengers traveling to Hawaii. The further east you go, the local traffic declines greatly.

HA has found a successful way to serve JFK (HUGE metro area with sufficient local demand to Hawaii, a codeshare agreement with B6, and the only nonstop to Hawaii out of JFK). Other markets are going to be more difficult.
But also realize to go east you do not have to do every airport, every day and because of this you could make it work. You could take one airplane and have it serve 2 or even 3 vast metro areas. That helps the traffic a lot.

The other key is enhancing partnerships with other airlines. People like their miles and status. Seemingly Hawaiian serves as an interisland connector now for just about everyone. Nothing says Hawaiian can't leverage that for a better mileage plan partnership on the other end.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Smart mention. BWI is a great airport for its purpose (especially WN/Southwest), but still only has marginal transit to/fro DC proper. It definitely has more runway length and no airspace restrictions like DCA.
Might some people be willing to go a little bit out of their way to get to BWI if they knew they could get a direct flight? Could these people, combined with the people who live closer to BWI anyway, be enough to make the route work?

As you can probably tell I'm not very familiar with the DC metro area, so I'm kind of shooting in the dark here!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
I think standard advice is "believe when I see it" for just about anything, right?
Metro is more [fouled] up than just about any other government agency or large organization you can imagine. With Metro, you really can't believe them when they say they'll do something until you literally see them do it. And maybe not even then. They really are that bad.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 6, 2017 at 5:04 am Reason: profanity is not allowed under FT Rules
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:16 pm

HA and AUS

Any updates on potential Hawaiian Airlines service to Austin?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 6, 2017 at 5:06 am Reason: moved into existing thread to place the question in context of previous reports about possible service to AUS
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:53 pm

Its very unlikely you'll see HA service to Austin. Just looking at their route map there's plenty of other cities that would likely be more profitable. Currently, the only non-west coast location they fly to is JFK, and yes, I'm counting LAS and PHX as west-coast. I suspect you'll see service to Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Denver, etc. before you'll see direct service to Austin.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Its very unlikely you'll see HA service to Austin. Just looking at their route map there's plenty of other cities that would likely be more profitable. Currently, the only non-west coast location they fly to is JFK, and yes, I'm counting LAS and PHX as west-coast. I suspect you'll see service to Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Denver, etc. before you'll see direct service to Austin.
I'd be really surprised as well if Austin in on a Hawaiian list - but I'd be just as surprised they'd want to go to Chicago/Houston/Denver (UA hubs) or Dallas (American hub).

If we speculate - I'd guess large markets not serviced by a non-stop such as Boston or Philadelphia
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
But also realize to go east you do not have to do every airport, every day and because of this you could make it work. You could take one airplane and have it serve 2 or even 3 vast metro areas. That helps the traffic a lot.

The other key is enhancing partnerships with other airlines. People like their miles and status. Seemingly Hawaiian serves as an interisland connector now for just about everyone. Nothing says Hawaiian can't leverage that for a better mileage plan partnership on the other end.
These would be long, leisure traveler flights. How much demand would there be on, say, Tuesday or Wednesday for leisure travel? Not enough to fill up an A330 at decent fares.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.