Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

What's up with onboard entertainment on HA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:42 am
Original Poster

I used to enjoy boarding my HA flights--'not only 'cause we were heading to Hawai'i, one of my favorite destinations--but because the "getting there" (yes, even in Coach seating) was enjoyable, too. On cross-ocean flights there were music channels to choose from (at least two were Hawaiian-style) and "free" HA programming (destination-focused, music/hula videos) plus a featured general movie.

Has HA changed their perspective on this "in flight" entertainment? The offerings on the last two flights I took (November, 2015) were *seriously* lacking and I'm wondering if others have noticed the same thing:
--Flight 1 (SMF to HNL): No audio available whatsoever on the in-seat plugs. No one in any seats around me had it available. No video, other than the safety video pre-flight. No general movie.
--Flight 2 (HNL to SMF): The only video was good (music videos, water sport adventures) but it was repeated *three* times throughout the flight. No general movie.

Prior to both flights, gate announcements hawked the iPad rentals in-flight with the warning that, "this is the only entertainment that will be available." Maybe the few dollars that they get from the short iPad rentals (not entire flight) is what HA is shooting for?

Count me as disappointed in HA. And, yes, I understand most of you reading FT are first class/business pax so it really doesn't affect your flight enjoyment... I just miss my soothing audio/video start to my Hawaiian vacations--and the gentle re-entry as I fly back home.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
They use an older 767 for the SMF-HNL flights, with limited entertainment. The new A330's used on most of their other routes have many more options and have screens on all the setbacks. It sounds like the system may have been broken on your flight out, though I agree it's lame they didn't play an actual movie on the way back when it was working. The 767's are being phased out over the next few years, so soon it will be a non-issue.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kumulani
They use an older 767 for the SMF-HNL flights, with limited entertainment. The new A330's used on most of their other routes have many more options and have screens on all the setbacks. It sounds like the system may have been broken on your flight out, though I agree it's lame they didn't play an actual movie on the way back when it was working. The 767's are being phased out over the next few years, so soon it will be a non-issue.
"Soon" means several more years. And they could REPAIR the IFE systems, when they break. It's not like they charge us less (from SMF or PHX) to fly the old 767's. They should take proper care of them until they are retired.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by formeraa
"Soon" means several more years. And they could REPAIR the IFE systems, when they break. It's not like they charge us less (from SMF or PHX) to fly the old 767's. They should take proper care of them until they are retired.
You'll probably be in the lucky group that gets to ride one of the brand new A321neo's if you're on a 76 now! Those will have streaming service right to your own device!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.