Wiki Posts
Search

IslandAir (Hawaii) - reliability.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:07 am
Original Poster

IslandAir (Hawaii) - reliability.

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience of this airline?

Booked tickets to fly HNL-Maui and back. Had a look at reviews left on Skytrax and it seems reliability is pretty bad with constant cancellations/consolidating of flights/poor customer service during IRROPs.

I'm hoping these are more the exception than the norm! Does anyone have experience flying with them?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
the one time I used them from HNL to LNY the flight was ontime, an overall pleasant experience.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:29 pm

My experience was similar, OGG to HNL. Left on time, pricing good, no issues. Of course you always take your chances on any specific flight on any airline, and the statistics detailing cancellations, etc. suggest a higher risk of problems with Island Air than the competition. However, I would have no hesitation flying them again.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies :-)
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
See earlier thread

Title says it all, but YMMV::

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...all-costs.html
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:59 am

Thanks for pointing out the other thread which provides some additional observations, but only the OP of that thread really makes a case to avoid IslandAir at all costs. The complaints: have to go to the inter-island terminal, prop plane; seats are tight; plane judged to be old and dirty; and they charged $15 for checking a bag the OP wanted to carry on the plane.

I also have a list of a few airlines to avoid at all costs of a hundred or so I have flown on all over the world, but it takes a higher threshold than this to get on my list.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by drseagrass
Thanks for pointing out the other thread which provides some additional observations, but only the OP of that thread really makes a case to avoid IslandAir at all costs. The complaints: have to go to the inter-island terminal, prop plane; seats are tight; plane judged to be old and dirty; and they charged $15 for checking a bag the OP wanted to carry on the plane.

I also have a list of a few airlines to avoid at all costs of a hundred or so I have flown on all over the world, but it takes a higher threshold than this to get on my list.
Another factor in the "avoid at all costs" equation is the "next best alternative." If the competition is far superior at only a modest additional cost, then do "avoid." In this case, Hawaiian Air is the obvious decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.