Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Booking 6 award tix on HA: take what I can get now or wait for seats to open?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

I'm taking my family of 6 to Hawaii in August. I purchased the main tickets through AA and am now trying to book six one-way award tickets from HNL to KOA. The day I want to travel doesn't have availability but the day after does.

Would you take what's available now or wait and hope seats open up for your preferred date?

I'm leaning toward getting what I can now even though it means one more day in expensive HNL. However, I'm curious what you seasoned travelers think.
Old May 16, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by hopingtofly
I'm taking my family of 6 to Hawaii in August. I purchased the main tickets through AA and am now trying to book six one-way award tickets from HNL to KOA. The day I want to travel doesn't have availability but the day after does.

Would you take what's available now or wait and hope seats open up for your preferred date?

I'm leaning toward getting what I can now even though it means one more day in expensive HNL. However, I'm curious what you seasoned travelers think.
Have you considered trying to book fewer award tix on your preferred date, and pay for those that you can't get for free?

Doubtful that more will open up later on, but possible....
Old May 16, 2015, 2:24 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Aren't $80 inter-island fares a waste of miles?
Old May 16, 2015, 4:24 am
Original Poster

I hadn't thought about checking for fewer seats. I'll see what's available if I do it that way.

As for them being a waste of miles, this is the first time I've booked award travel so I'm really not sure. When I priced out tickets about a month ago, they were $90-some dollars. Redeeming through AA is 5,000 miles per seat. So that works out to 30,000 miles to save around $560. Is that a poor redemption rate?
Old May 16, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by hopingtofly
I hadn't thought about checking for fewer seats. I'll see what's available if I do it that way.

As for them being a waste of miles, this is the first time I've booked award travel so I'm really not sure. When I priced out tickets about a month ago, they were $90-some dollars. Redeeming through AA is 5,000 miles per seat. So that works out to 30,000 miles to save around $560. Is that a poor redemption rate?
Re redemption rate, that is really only a question you can answer:

Do you have a better use for your miles?
Is your cash flow bad right now?

I've seen charts that calculate the redemption rate for various airlines for Y seats and the rates are about .01 - .014 per mile. However, if you use your miles for International long haul F seats, the rate is more like .10 - .16 per mile.
Old May 16, 2015, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

That's a good point 747FC. One of the reasons I was planning to use the miles for this inter-island flight is because I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to use them in the future.

I found that I could book four award tickets on my preferred date and buy two, but the price has jumped to $126-$174 for the day I'm looking at. I decided I'd rather wait a day and use miles for all of us so I booked an award flight for the following day. I could afford to buy the tickets without a problem, but I decided I 'd rather keep that money in my pocket since I'm not sure when I'd be able to use those miles in the future.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.