Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

No Frequent Flyer Tickets (Available on HA for West Coast to/from Hawaii)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Letter Response

Originally Posted by sdflyer04
There is a big difference between what HA is doing and what you see with other airlines. Virtually all of the complaints regarding other airlines are that they don't release mileage seats at the lowest level. What HA is doing is much worse. HA is not releasing ANY seats at ANY mileage level. That effectively makes HA much less competitive.

Yes, Flyertalkers are a unique breed. But, any airline should value repeat customers, particularly those who pay some of their top prices because they travel at peak times. Mileage availability is one of the ways airlines keep those repeat customers coming back. By removing availability, HA pushes us to competitors.

Sometimes we find that the competitors have some advantages that we kind of like. When HA stopped making mileage seats available, I started flying Alaska from the west coast to Hawaii. To my surprise, I found some things that I really liked. For example, I love the nonstop flights to all of the islands. I really like the newer Alaska seats. I like to work on my laptop or watch movies on it on the way to Hawaii. With the new Alaska seats, the person in front of me can recline all the way and it doesn't interfere with the use of my laptop. On Hawaiian, if the person in front of me reclines, I simply can't use my laptop the rest of the flight. I learned that Alaska flies to many more locations than just Hawaii where I also fly and I can use mileage to all of those places. For example, Alaska had a mileage seat sale requiring only 5K miles for some flights. I bought several tickets using just the roundtrip miles I earned to and from Hawaii on Alaska Airlines. I also learned that Alaska has a 20 minute baggage guarantee meaning that if your bag is not on the carousel within 20 minutes of landing (including for Hawaii flights), they give you some kind of voucher. I don't know what the voucher is because my bags have always been on the carousel within 20 minutes. That has been a complaint with Hawaiian for many years, particularly on return flights to the mainland that land late at night. It is not uncommon to wait another 45 minutes or more for a bag on HA.

Now this may sound like a commercial for Alaska. I don't mean it that way. I'm not totally sold on Alaska. I prefer HA's larger planes. I really like that they let me combine mileage from family members. I love the Aloha spirit on the planes and from the flight attendants, etc. I would have ignorantly continued to fly HA if they would have let me use mileage for a flight or two, even at the higher mileage level. Instead, their new policy sent me to a competitor and low and behold I found a bunch of things that I really like about their competitor. Now I look closely at both airlines when I am looking to buy tickets to Hawaii. In my book, that is a bad thing for HA and a good thing for Alaska. Because I really like HA and I've flown them for years, I care enough to come and post about them and I will likely send them a letter as well. I believe that there will be others who will just move on to the detriment of Hawaiian.
Well, I sent a letter to Hawaiian outlining basically what I've outlined here. To my surprise, I received a telephone message from customer relations asking me to call back so that they can help me reserve seats using my miles. I happily call back and speak to the person who left the message. He checks my flights and says "there are no seats available at any level using miles for those dates." Yep. That is why I wrote the e-mail. He then says that he is going to work on getting seats and will call me back. But, he never called back. Instead, I received an e-mail from Hawaiian saying essentially "tough luck" for you. They did say that they would forward my e-mail to the scheduling manager. But, I'm not holding my breath.

The bottom line for me is that Hawaiian is losing a good customer. Oh well, there are other options out there. I recently learned of another significant benefit from Alaska. If you buy an Alaska ticket and the fare subsequently goes down, Alaska will give you a full credit for the price difference that you can use on another flight. I already saved $400 and used it on another flight.

I will miss Hawaiian and will still check to see their prices when booking flights to Hawaii. But, for now, their policy of not releasing ANY mileage seats when I travel makes them non-competitive with Alaska and other competitors. I just need to figure out how to use the remaining Hawaiian miles that I've saved if I can't use them on Hawaiian. The posts here make it sound like that is a pretty hard thing to accomplish.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat 75k, CA Phoenix Gold
Yes, it is obvious that customer focus has badly eroded on the last few years. Hawaiian Air flight crews and the route offering are still great, but the rest of the company feels like it is sliding. Just some data points: A history of paying minimal compensation for customers affected by rather serious operational anomalies such as aborted takeoffs (discussed on this forum), nickel and diming even the most frequent passengers for everything ("deficient premium seat reservation policy for Hawaiian miles elites"), a totally broken customer escalation process (any requests to the "consumer affair office" of any sort go nowhere). It is not surprising that Hawaiian is now even getting fined by the DOT regarding baggage mishandling. Even Delta, otherwise a totally bean counter driven company, does better when I call them for an anomaly. I can't help think what if something really serious happened on one of Hawaiian's flights... who would you turn to?

Enter Alaska Air, the greatest airline to serve Hawaii/mainland in the 20 years I have been flying the Pacific. Everything that was stated about Alaska Air above is true, and more. This is serious competition and it is winning the mainland routes enough so it depresses the fares Hawaiian can charge.

Mark Dunkerly has been a great and visionary CEO mostly for stockholders -- seizing the Aloha Air opportunity and expanding the network to Far East. I wish he could also make the operational side of Hawaiian great, a company to be proud of.

Last edited by Alex909; Jun 11, 2015 at 1:58 pm
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by Alex909
Yes, it is obvious that customer focus has badly eroded on the last few years. Hawaiian Air flight crews and the route offering are still great, but the rest of the company feels like it is sliding. [snip]

Enter Alaska Air, the greatest airline to serve Hawaii/mainland in the 20 years I have been flying the Pacific. Everything that was stated about Alaska Air above is true, and more. This is serious competition and it is winning the mainland routes enough so it depresses the fares Hawaiian can charge.

Mark Dunkerly has been a great and visionary CEO mostly for stockholders -- seizing the Aloha Air opportunity and expanding the network to Far East. I wish he could also make the operational side of Hawaiian great, a company to be proud of.
Exactly right. The only customer loyalty HA management seems to care about is tourists choosing them over the big three. AS is reliable, takes care of customers, rewards loyalty, and is just a pleasure to deal with. I've flown HA for a long time, but no longer on any route where AS is an option.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat 75k, CA Phoenix Gold
Is this seeming devaluation the beginning of the end of the Hawaiian miles program? Hawaiian Air made us believe that they were not following Delta and United when these companies announced the takedown of their frequent flyer programs earlier this year. And yet, here they seem to silently implement the very same thing in other clothes. Shouldn't this worry the bank part of the new master card arrangement?

Last edited by Alex909; Jun 12, 2015 at 3:04 am
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alex909
Is this seeming devaluation the beginning of the end of the Hawaiian miles program? Hawaiian Air made us believe that they were not following Delta and United when these companies announced the takedown of their frequent flyer programs earlier this year. And yet, here they seem to silently implement the very same thing in other clothes. Shouldn't this worry the bank part of the new master card arrangement?
Hawaiian is now actually WORSE than the big three. If I want to spend a ton of miles to get to Hawaii on one of the big three at Thanksgiving or Spring Break or Christmas or Summer, etc., the big three will happily take my miles at their top level and give me a seat. But, with Hawaiian, I am now completely shut out for the popular dates. I can't buy a seat using miles period. Very disappointing! Hawaiian used to be very good at making seats available for using miles. At some point, I have to believe that Hawaiian's new philosophy will impact its business. As you suggest, perhaps Barclays will not be very happy if they can't sell any Hawaiian credits cards because no one can use the promised miles unless you want to go on a Wednesday in October.

Any ideas on a good use for a bunch of Hawaiian miles?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Hawaiian is now actually WORSE than the big three. If I want to spend a ton of miles to get to Hawaii on one of the big three at Thanksgiving or Spring Break or Christmas or Summer, etc., the big three will happily take my miles at their top level and give me a seat. But, with Hawaiian, I am now completely shut out for the popular dates. I can't buy a seat using miles period. Very disappointing! Hawaiian used to be very good at making seats available for using miles. At some point, I have to believe that Hawaiian's new philosophy will impact its business. As you suggest, perhaps Barclays will not be very happy if they can't sell any Hawaiian credits cards because no one can use the promised miles unless you want to go on a Wednesday in October.

Not to be harsh or anything, but anyone who's using a Barclay HA card to accumulate miles to redeem at the peak rate probably isn't a math whiz to begin with. HA's availability is pretty good away from peak times, but it's pretty tough to do better than 1.5 cents/mile ever, and 1.25 or so is more realistic. I've never been able to come up with a scenario where earning miles with the HA credit card makes sense as compared to 2% cash back on a pure redemption basis. I do give Barclay and HA credit for doing a nice job of packaging some minimal value adds (one free bag, etc) with the 5K bonus for 10K spend to make a pretty marginal card kinda sorta work if you squint at it just right, but I see a lot of people using them who would almost certainly be better off spending on a cash back card.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:33 am

Yes, trade them on Coupon Connection.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT

It's not just a west coast problem but reaches most popular routes during holidays. I gave up on them for my February trip to Hawaii this time from JFK. They released only 1 seat for the entire week.

Just today I noticed there are seats the last weekend in August if you want to go the week into labor day long weekend. Unfortunately school had started for some folks so that's probably why they released that weekend since it is not ultra peak.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:50 pm

I agree with this thread wholeheartedly! I've been sitting on approximately 65,000 Hawaiian miles for several years now, and have never been able to find an affordable time to use them. And now it seems like the program is getting even stingier and the total miles needed to travel from the mainland to Hawaii is consistently very high, unless you are super flexible about when you can travel.

I'm seriously thinking about trading my Hawaiian miles for Hilton points. You can get 1.5 Hilton Hhonors points per Hawaiian mile, which means my 65,000 miles would be worth 97,500 Hilton points, which is actually quite a lot! I'm no expert, but I'd estimate the value of that at about $700(ish)?

I agree about Alaska Airlines too, they are awesome. I've been using them for years since I'm originally from Seattle.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
For the last 10 years I have been using Hawaiian miles to fly from San Diego to Hawaii and being able to get low miles awards. For a trip this August I have never found any low mileage award seats available.

I just booked my return flight from Maui-San Diego and was able to get a fare of $233. The only awards available were 80,000 miles for first class.

I will probably need to figure out what to do with the miles in my account I have accumulated from American Express transfers if I can't use the miles for my next trip.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by holocker
I will probably need to figure out what to do with the miles in my account I have accumulated from American Express transfers if I can't use the miles for my next trip.
Never a good idea to transfer MR points unless you're ready to book a redemption, and you've already confirmed that space is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.