Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Advice - Making HA Inter Island Connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Maybe some of you that are familiar with this could help me. I am traveling to HNL on UA in F from EWR. Connecting to HA from HNL to OGG. The tickets are on separate stock. 1) Do you think that UA will check my bags thru to OGG? If not, the UA flight lands at HNL at 6:48 pm and the HA flifht leaves at 8:00 pm. We are in F and hope to have all our bags tagged "priority". So will I have enough time, 1 hr and 12 minutes to make this connection if I have to claim my bags and re check in w/ security for the inter airline flight. The next and last flight out to OGG leaves at 9:50. My original HA flight was suppose to leave at 8:26 but it got bumped up to 8:00. Any experiences or advice would be appreciated.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: American, Hawaiian, United
It depends on how fast UA gets your luggage to you. It only takes about 5-8 minutes to get to Hawaiian. Checkin at HA is fast especially if you use the kiosk. When going thru TSA check the right side for access. There is usually less people in that line.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
If UA will interline your bags that is your best bet. You can make it to the interisland terminal staying airside following the signs, it's a 20 min walk.

Otherwise you will have to claim your bags then walk to the inter island terminal and recheck them. Minimum checkin for inter island is 30 minutes, You also need to be at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure. You can check in up to 24 hours prior to your inter island flight which could save you some time. Also if you're a HA Hawaiian miles member you pay $15/first bag vs $25/first bag & $20/2nd bag vs $35/2nd bag
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by EWRfflyer
Maybe some of you that are familiar with this could help me. I am traveling to HNL on UA in F from EWR. Connecting to HA from HNL to OGG. The tickets are on separate stock. 1) Do you think that UA will check my bags thru to OGG? If not, the UA flight lands at HNL at 6:48 pm and the HA flifht leaves at 8:00 pm. We are in F and hope to have all our bags tagged "priority". So will I have enough time, 1 hr and 12 minutes to make this connection if I have to claim my bags and re check in w/ security for the inter airline flight. The next and last flight out to OGG leaves at 9:50. My original HA flight was suppose to leave at 8:26 but it got bumped up to 8:00. Any experiences or advice would be appreciated.
Not sure if bags will be checked through. I do know that your chances of your priority-tagged bags coming out (more) quickly than a non-tagged bag is low, but sometimes I am surprised.

You will be arriving at the interisland terminal at a time that is not very busy, but obviously, precheck would help. Are you in F on HA? If so, and no precheck, the F line is toward the left.

I would consider booking a later HA flight. Why start your Hawaii vacation stressing out over the connection. Have a Mai Tai and chill while you wait.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
ONLY if UA will inter-line check your bags through would I attempt this connection, even with Pre-Check.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
cblaisd is right. This is too short to claim and recheck.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
I did this in Feb (UA F to HNL, HA Y to KOA). They checked it in all the way at EWR, but they really didn't want to. The agent initially claimed she needed only the PNR, but couldn't find it. Eventually when I insisted she look up by Ticket # instead, they found it.

Although.. I think UA rules may have changed I think March?
Old May 18, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
We had a very similar, schedule in november albeit on AWE. Flew in, F had very close to the same amount of time in between flights. We had to get off the plane, use the restroom, get the wife a lei greeting. We then had to wait forever as our priority tagged bags were last off the plane(this always seems to be the case) Walked to the interisland terminal As was suggested by the Lei greeter. Checked in at the Hawaii kiosk(it didnt work right) recleared security(virtually no line) and still sat at the gate for about 20 minutes before boarding began.
Looked back at our resvs looks like our mainland flight was scheduled in at 6:49 and intraisland left at 8:16.
I would def risk this again as the next scheduled flight didnt leave until almost 10

Last edited by beachbrew; May 18, 2015 at 9:03 am
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but with an AA award redemption to HNL then a purchased ticket to OGG. Difference though would be flight to HNL would be on HA metal. I'm guessing HA check in would be able to check bags through. Thoughts?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dwcatty
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but with an AA award redemption to HNL then a purchased ticket to OGG. Difference though would be flight to HNL would be on HA metal. I'm guessing HA check in would be able to check bags through. Thoughts?
Yes, since both flights are on HA metal, that would be fine, according to their interline baggage statement (http://help.hawaiianairlines.com/hel...Statement.aspx).

Just make sure to have both itineraries with you when you get to the airport.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
How about going the other way?

HA 327 KOA-HNL, arriving 5:47pm, connecting to UA 252 HNL-IAH, which departs 7:20 pm. On a Friday in July. Separate PNRs. First class on United and TSA Pre. Need to collect and re-check two bags.

Is it enough time, or should we change to an earlier inter island?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jg70124
HA 327 KOA-HNL, arriving 5:47pm, connecting to UA 252 HNL-IAH, which departs 7:20 pm. On a Friday in July. Separate PNRs. First class on United and TSA Pre. Need to collect and re-check two bags.

I'd take an earlier flight. No question about it.

While HA has a great on-time record, delays have been known to happen.

Even if you are on time, you might be waiting 30-40 minutes for your luggage, then going to the complete furthest part of the terminal to get to UA. Lots of stress with that. Leave earlier and enjoy a leisurely Mai Tai at HNL.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by jg70124

Follow-up: I did change to an earlier departure from KOA. Not sure it was necessary though: the Kona curbside baggage handler checked us through no problem. (He said he was able to do it because bag check in Kona is still partially manual.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.