Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Options if Inbound Flight Delay on AA Causes Misconnect With Last HA Flight KOA-HNL?

Options if Inbound Flight Delay on AA Causes Misconnect With Last HA Flight KOA-HNL?

Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice.

I am flying into KOA in mid April on AA247 at 17:00 which arrives at 19:47. The flight time was changed to arrive earlier than when I booked it.

I was originally going to do an overnight in the holiday inn in kona then take a mid morning flight out to HNL but now I am thinking of flying to HNL on the last HA flight at 21:50
out of KOA.

Now my questions

Is this a viable option?

If I am delayed into KOA on AA how will HA be about rebooking me on the next flight out at 6AM.

What are my options with this one - stay in the airport etc...

Is this Connection possible at KOA? Will AA check my bags through?

I can Book a hotel in HNL and maybe miss a nights stay but arrive for a early check-in.

Is there anything to do in KOA if I miss the flight?

I know lots of questions but the wife wants a full brief. I would chance it but she wants to know all the details.

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 8, 2015 at 6:34 pm Reason: thread title was too vague and not directly related to the questions asked
Old Mar 7, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Checking Flightaware, this flight has been cancelled twice in the last 9 days:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL247

Do you want to chance it? This can only be your call.

If your AA flight should cause you to miss the last KOA flight of the day, HA is the least of your problems. You will either be sleeping under the stars, or trying to find a hotel room very late at night.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Any chance you just decide to stay on the Big Island for a few days first? It's a remarkable place.

Make lemonade out of lemons!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Any chance you just decide to stay on the Big Island for a few days first? It's a remarkable place.

Make lemonade out of lemons!
I have a multi city trip and I wanted to book LAx-HNL and then KOA-LAX but this was working out at over €3000 extra each so I am on LAX-KOA-LAX but I have booked a 3 night stay already at the modern in Honolulu then it's back the big island for a night in volcano house then it's up to the fairmont orchid for 6 days before heading back to LAX.

The big island look amazing certainly plenty to see and do.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HarryBA
If I am delayed into KOA on AA how will HA be about rebooking me on the next flight out at 6AM.
Single-ticket all the way to HNL? If AA is late delivering you to KOA, see AA about rebooking. AA will book you on the next available flight -- but probably won't pay for the hotel room unless your delay was due to aircraft mechanical.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Single-ticket all the way to HNL? If AA is late delivering you to KOA, see AA about rebooking. AA will book you on the next available flight -- but probably won't pay for the hotel room unless your delay was due to aircraft mechanical.
It is not possible at this stage as my flights are already booked.

I think that based on the info above a quick stay in a airport hotel then back to the airport the following morning for my KOA-HNL flight.

It's probably easier and less hassle plus I will have the wife complaining.

Any recommendations on somewhere to stay near by to KOA. I was looking at the holiday inn in kona. http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress...hi/hoteldetail

Anybody got more options or recommendations?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Check Marriott-Brand hotels and their Shuttles to/from airport.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1st Cav Vet
Check Marriott-Brand hotels and their Shuttles to/from airport.
Thanks for the info but I can only find three Marriott branded
1, Marriott courtyard king kamehamehas kona beach hotel which is about 8 miles south from the airport and does not have any free shuttles.

2. Marriott waikoloa beach marriott resort and spa which is about 20 miles north of the airport and again it does not have free shuttles

And finally Mauna Kea Beach Hotel which is somewhere I considered staying for my longer break after my trip to HNL.

It looks likes about $35 cab each way so I just grab one when I land. The safest option would be to just stay and fly out about noon the next day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.