Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 717 interiors are here!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
I understand how some would not necessarily believe the Star-Advertiser, but the Associated Press is now reporting a one-inch reduction in legroom on HA's 717 fleet:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...island-flights
Originally Posted by azj
Ah yes... the media. I'm really curious to know where the Star Advertiser and AP get this reduction of 1 inch business?
Publication of said specs would provide clarity, wouldn't it? My cynicism about this comes from the fact that if the specs were flattering, they almost certainly would have been published by HA. Of course, one does wonder how the AP and Star-Advertiser reached their conclusion. Better journalism would have provided some frame of reference.
AP did not independently come to a conclusion. Their story is merely a recapitulation of the Star-Advertiser story, and the AP's "source" for this story is the Star-Advertiser.

AP is maybe right, maybe wrong. Garbage in, garbage out.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Originally Posted by azj
I tend to not find the worst in things until I can experience them for myself and draw my own conclusions. That view, is the genesis for my devils advocate approach in this thread. Having sat in the seat helps too.
I respect that, and I believe you when you say the new seats are comfortable. I just wish HA and the press would both be transparent about their facts and pronouncements.

And in the spirit of full disclosure, I should note that for 20 years I was an ATL based Delta hub slave. Thus, I come from a world where devaluations are called "enhancements" and announcements like this always mean that one will be paying more for the same or lesser level of comfort. At least I got my cynicism honestly . . . if there is such a thing.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
And in the spirit of full disclosure, I should note that for 20 years I was an ATL based Delta hub slave. Thus, I come from a world where devaluations are called "enhancements" and announcements like this always mean that one will be paying more for the same or lesser level of comfort. At least I got my cynicism honestly . . . if there is such a thing.
I seem to recall some threads about how passengers perceive slimline seats as uncomfortable. Not sure that would be a big problem sitting in a seat for up to one hour.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:07 pm

I think it's likely that HA reduced the seat pitch with the new configuration. Seat pitch is defined as the distance from a point on one seat to the same point on the next seat in the row ahead or behind. But since the backs of these new seats are thinner, they could reduce the pitch but maintain the same overall legroom since the distance between the back of the seat to the front of the seat bottom cushion remains the same. I suspect the S-A misunderstood and confused seat pitch with "legroom", which doesn't have a precise, specific definition, but is as a generic concept is generally understood.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Impressions after flying the new seats in front and in back: the coach seats are actually pretty good, but first is awful. The coach seat is well-shaped for comfort and the padding is perfectly adequate for interisland. Pitch is tight but no worse than it was before, and getting rid of the recline is a plus. The first class seat has some kind of a structural piece under the thigh area that sticks up enough to be notably uncomfortable, at least for me.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:59 pm
azj
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WrightHI
Impressions after flying the new seats in front and in back: the coach seats are actually pretty good, but first is awful. The coach seat is well-shaped for comfort and the padding is perfectly adequate for interisland. Pitch is tight but no worse than it was before, and getting rid of the recline is a plus. The first class seat has some kind of a structural piece under the thigh area that sticks up enough to be notably uncomfortable, at least for me.
The F seats are the same actually. They've just been recovered and the sides and arm rests reconditioned. Glad that you've been able to sample the seats for yourself. There are 2 planes flying in the new configuration.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by azj
The F seats are the same actually. They've just been recovered and the sides and arm rests reconditioned. Glad that you've been able to sample the seats for yourself. There are 2 planes flying in the new configuration.
Strange. Maybe I just had a bad seat. I've sat in first on the 717s a number of times and never encountered that bump under the thighs before, and it was very pronounced (seat 2A, but I didn't pay attention to which aircraft).
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:45 pm
azj
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WrightHI
Strange. Maybe I just had a bad seat. I've sat in first on the 717s a number of times and never encountered that bump under the thighs before, and it was very pronounced (seat 2A, but I didn't pay attention to which aircraft).
I wonder if that bump is associated with the new padding? Or maybe something was askew.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
the coach seats aren't that bad especially for the Maui to Honolulu flights. It's comparable in my opinion to the United and Alaska slimline seats.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by azj
Going from 118 or 123 seats to 128 seats? OMG! The sky is falling. But when you take a look at what's really going on, only a handful of planes were in the 118 configuration and had a closet and lavatory upfront. Removing those, frees up lots of space to add 2 rows, or 10 seats. The other planes are really only seeing one row added, with space made available by the thinner profile of the new seat.
Were the handful of 118's the ex-Australian ones, N49xHA's? Those are what come to my mind when you say handful.

Originally Posted by azj
There are 2 planes flying in the new configuration.
Tail numbers?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 6:24 pm
azj
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanTravels
Were the handful of 118's the ex-Australian ones, N49xHA's? Those are what come to my mind when you say handful.
Tail numbers?
Yes, I'm pretty sure the ex Australian frames are the ones with 118 seats. There are 4 reconfigured planes flying now 479, 480, 484 and 487.

I flew in one again the other day and was happy with the pitch and cushion of the seat. IMO, they might be softer than the 330 seats! It seemed that the guests also enjoyed the new cabin remarking positively and taking pictures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.