Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Intl HA Flight, 9 hour mechanical delay, $100 travel voucher only?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intl HA Flight, 9 hour mechanical delay, $100 travel voucher only?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:04 am

Question

Do the $100 certs expire one year from date of issue. As in, do they need to be booked by the expiry or used by the expiry. I have 3 of these certs, except mine are for $150 each
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Petalumatool
Do the $100 certs expire one year from date of issue. As in, do they need to be booked by the expiry or used by the expiry. I have 3 of these certs, except mine are for $150 each
It just says valid for one year. So I'm not sure. But I probably won't ever redeem it. Not really worth being locked into one airline when there are discount travel sites where you can find cheaper fares.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:22 pm

I now this is an old thread, but on our August 2013 OGG > SJC flight, after about an hour of flying we turned around and landed at HNL. This was due to a bad generator. Per the Captain we had 3 and one quite and per FAA we had to turn around. This was about a 4 hour delay. Landing at SJC at 2 am there were no HA staff so I had to follow up via email.
We received a $100 voucher. Seems to be the norm.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 01spirit750
I now this is an old thread, but on our August 2013 OGG > SJC flight, after about an hour of flying we turned around and landed at HNL. This was due to a bad generator. Per the Captain we had 3 and one quite and per FAA we had to turn around. This was about a 4 hour delay. Landing at SJC at 2 am there were no HA staff so I had to follow up via email.
We received a $100 voucher. Seems to be the norm.
Well our delay was over 8 hours. What I had heard was that if it was over 4 hours there should be more compensation.
But mostly I was upset that the crew spent 2 hours on the plane lying to us about what was going on and that I was only able to find out what happened after searching online and finding articles about the incident as we waited at the airport for another plane to arrive.
And I definitely didn't like the response I got from their customer service (and really I would have been happy if they had just sent me back my smartphone that I dropped on the aborted flight), so unless I find a good deal from HA I won't be using my voucher.
Also, it worries me when planes have problems. Sometimes things just happen, but it makes me wonder if HA doesn't keep their planes in good condition. (I want to feel safe when I'm flying!)
Old Oct 25, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: DL GM
One more data point for a 41 hour delay from April 2015:

HA 466 PPG-HNL diverted back to PPG 18 April 2015

Plane had to turn around 2 1/2 hours out of PPG due to what I later heard was a hydraulic problem. We were near the equator at the time with no diversion points nearby - probably lucky we didn't divert to Kiribati instead. Another plane had to be flown in from HNL - the PPG airport staff did the best they could to help the full plane load of stranded pax but HA customer service phone line was completely useless. Folks had to call the front desk at the Tradewinds (where the crew was staying) to find out when the flight might be departing. It was delayed and rescheduled multiple times during that weekend.

Final compensation paid for 41 hour delay was as follows:

$250 partial ticket refund (in lieu of $500 travel voucher which was initially offered - I chose to take the refund)

Meals/hotel/taxi fully covered during delay in PPG (2 additional nights)
Additional HNL parking cost covered

Only $30 of my additional cell phone cost was covered (my actual charges incurred during the delay were over $200 - roaming on AT&T wireless in American Samoa is very expensive, but HA cited their CoC and refused to cover more than $30)

Total reimbursement: $359 (plus the 2 hotel nights were paid directly by HA)

Last edited by chrisj85; Oct 25, 2015 at 5:17 am
Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:17 am

I'll add another data point as well: HA 3 LAX->HNL, 10/6/2014.

Due to generator failure, the part being unavailable, and crew being timed out once the part could arrive and be installed, scheduled departure was delayed from 10AM to ~8PM. They offered us a flight on a different airline and a transfer in OGG, decided against it. HA gave us a hotel room near LAX and free lunch/dinner there. Flight ended up not departing LAX until after midnight, including 1-2 hours sitting on board after boarding.
When we landed, HNL was being kept open just for us.

For what ended up being a ~14 hour delay, we were given a $300 travel credit.
(given this was basically what we paid for the leg, I feel it was adequate but not spectacular)
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by mrpippy
I'll add another data point as well: HA 3 LAX->HNL, 10/6/2014.

Due to generator failure, the part being unavailable, and crew being timed out once the part could arrive and be installed, scheduled departure was delayed from 10AM to ~8PM. They offered us a flight on a different airline and a transfer in OGG, decided against it. HA gave us a hotel room near LAX and free lunch/dinner there. Flight ended up not departing LAX until after midnight, including 1-2 hours sitting on board after boarding.
When we landed, HNL was being kept open just for us.

For what ended up being a ~14 hour delay, we were given a $300 travel credit.
(given this was basically what we paid for the leg, I feel it was adequate but not spectacular)
Seems getting better, more than $100. I had lost baggage issue (ITO-Taipei(TPE) via UA and other airlines, bag delayed in HNL overnight transfer< the HNL baggage office was very nice, got it on another flight a day latter so maybe better customer service nowdays?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.