Community
Wiki Posts
Search

31 min connection HNL-OGG-KOA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Question 31 min connection HNL-OGG-KOA

Booking award tickets from HNL-KOA using UA miles, one way for 3 people. For the lowest amount of miles for non stops, only the real early or real late show up as available, however, a connection in OGG with 31 minutes shows up, also another at just shy of 2 hours.

Is 31 minutes adequate time for not only us, but our bags to make the connection? With so many flights I am sure worst case is they will just get to KOA on the next flight anyways, but if that's the case, I might as well just book the longer connection.

I would imagine HA deals with these tight connections quite regularly, but probably more so at HNL than OGG.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
Per HA website:
Minimum Boarding Gate Time
Guests must be present at the boarding gate for boarding or on the aircraft at least 30 minutes prior to your flight’s scheduled departure time, even if you have already checked in for your flight.

Barring any delays, you may not make the connection. It is a brisk 20 min walk from the farthest UA gate to the HA inter-island gate.

your bags on the other hand will probably be put on a nonstop HNL - KOA flight
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Originally Posted by shimmer
Booking award tickets from HNL-KOA using UA miles, one way for 3 people. For the lowest amount of miles for non stops, only the real early or real late show up as available, however, a connection in OGG with 31 minutes shows up, also another at just shy of 2 hours.

Is 31 minutes adequate time for not only us, but our bags to make the connection? With so many flights I am sure worst case is they will just get to KOA on the next flight anyways, but if that's the case, I might as well just book the longer connection.

I would imagine HA deals with these tight connections quite regularly, but probably more so at HNL than OGG.
Unless my knowledge of HA interisland flights is dated (someone correct me if so), a 31-minute connection in OGG is a near-certainty that the same plane will fly both HNL-OGG and OGG-KOA for your proposed flights.

FYI, the minimum connection time for interisland-to-interisland flights at OGG is 20 minutes.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:05 pm
azj

Originally Posted by shimmer

It's very likely you'll be on the same plane. If not, the neighbor island operation is very compact using the same 3 or 4 gates, all next to each other. 31 minutes will be more than adequate.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by azj
If not, the neighbor island operation is very compact using the same 3 or 4 gates, all next to each other.
Not true on Maui especially during peak times. But it's still not very far, but you may have to walk from one wing to the other through the central hall.

Minimum connect time for i/i flights on Maui is 20 minutes, so you should be fine.

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/docu...ion-times.html
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:35 am
azj

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Not true on Maui especially during peak times. But it's still not very far, but you may have to walk from one wing to the other through the central hall.

Minimum connect time for i/i flights on Maui is 20 minutes, so you should be fine.

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/docu...ion-times.html
During the peak, when the wide bodies are at gates 17 and 21, all the neighbor island flying is concentrated at gates 11-15, which are all next to each other. Things tend to spread out when there are no wide bodies at the gates. Even then, it's not a far walk through the central part of the terminal. The point is, 30 minutes is very doable in OGG.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
OP here. No problem with connection bags made it as well. HA knows what they are doing with short connections in OGG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.