Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Does HA offer interisland 'flex' tickets?

Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat

Our family has our mainland-to-HNL flights booked through United. I booked this itinerary cause frankly, the price was outstanding (under $500 RT from MSP). I will be needing to book interisland to OGG from HNL as we will be spending the week in Maui. As I will have two separate tickets, I am wondering if there is a flexible economy ticket to be had through HA? Where if our flight comes in late from the mainland and I know this, I can book a later flight on HA.

Also, how much connection time should I allow at HNL given I have two separate tickets booked? 3 hours? More/less? Want to build in some margin of safety but not sit at HNL all day long.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Our family has our mainland-to-HNL flights booked through United. I booked this itinerary cause frankly, the price was outstanding (under $500 RT from MSP). I will be needing to book interisland to OGG from HNL as we will be spending the week in Maui. As I will have two separate tickets, I am wondering if there is a flexible economy ticket to be had through HA? Where if our flight comes in late from the mainland and I know this, I can book a later flight on HA.

Also, how much connection time should I allow at HNL given I have two separate tickets booked? 3 hours? More/less? Want to build in some margin of safety but not sit at HNL all day long.
There are no Flex tickets. You can rebook for a modest change fee and price differential. The change fee has been $30 per ticket. Price differential may not be too much, but that depends on the day, time, and capacity.

No one can tell you a margin of safety because no one knows whether your flight will be delayed and by how much. If there is no delay, three hours would be a comfortable margin to pick up your bags, get to the interisland terminal and check in again. Good luck and enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
Min connection between HA north America to inter island is 1 hour 5 mins. I would say 3 hours is good if you have to collect your bags and recheck them in the interisland terminal. Depending on what time your flight is, the terminal can get quite congested with the mainland flights, international flights, and interisland flights departing (give or take 1030a - 2p).

I know you mentioned two separate tickets but If you can get your bags checked through (and no delays) then 1 hour should be enough. Being you can stay airside it is about a 20 minute walk from the farthest UA gate to the inter island terminal
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

I should also ask....

Since I will be booking our HNL to OGG leg separate from the mainland to HNL round trip, would it be wise to buy the interisland legs to/from OGG as one ways rather than a round trip, assumung I can buy the one ways at 1/2 price of a round trip? Reason being if our mainland to HNL flight is late and for some reason we miss the HNL to OGG, our whole interisland ticket will not be void and we will still have the OGG to HNL in tact when we head home.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
I should also ask....

Since I will be booking our HNL to OGG leg separate from the mainland to HNL round trip, would it be wise to buy the interisland legs to/from OGG as one ways rather than a round trip, assumung I can buy the one ways at 1/2 price of a round trip? Reason being if our mainland to HNL flight is late and for some reason we miss the HNL to OGG, our whole interisland ticket will not be void and we will still have the OGG to HNL in tact when we head home.
I would like to believe that HA would accommodate you should you miss your flight. I think they would only cancel your entire itinerary if you do not show up for the 1st segment (HNL - OGG). Pricing varies by day/time, furthermore one way appears higher than cost (based on a dummy booking I made)
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yahrite808
I would like to believe that HA would accommodate you should you miss your flight. I think they would only cancel your entire itinerary if you do not show up for the 1st segment (HNL - OGG). Pricing varies by day/time, furthermore one way appears higher than cost (based on a dummy booking I made)
Forgot to mention our mainland to HNL rt is on UA. I know that makes a difference....
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I should also ask....

HA prices its tickets in a 1-way fashion, so you do not loose by having two separate tix.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.