Booking BOS-SAN-HNL on B6 and HA

Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Booking BOS-SAN-HNL on B6 and HA

Hi,

My parents are trying to book a trip to Hawaii for our family of 4 (I'm 14, my brother's 8). We've got everything we're going to do over there sorted, so all that needs to be done is the flights. To avoid taking an odd-hour flight out of BOS or a red-eye layover in a crappy airport hotel, we plan to stop in SAN for one day (we can stay at my aunt's house in Del Mar). Problem is, we can't find anything on anyone's website. B6 19 departs BOS at around 5PM and arrives in SAN at around 8PM. Then we'd stay overnight in my aunt's house, and go back to the airport for the 10AM flight to HNL.

Would buying two separate flights be a better solution, or does someone know of a deal where we can fly BOS-SAN-HNL?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
Hi,

My parents are trying to book a trip to Hawaii for our family of 4 (I'm 14, my brother's 8). We've got everything we're going to do over there sorted, so all that needs to be done is the flights. To avoid taking an odd-hour flight out of BOS or a red-eye layover in a crappy airport hotel, we plan to stop in SAN for one day (we can stay at my aunt's house in Del Mar). Problem is, we can't find anything on anyone's website. B6 19 departs BOS at around 5PM and arrives in SAN at around 8PM. Then we'd stay overnight in my aunt's house, and go back to the airport for the 10AM flight to HNL.

Would buying two separate flights be a better solution, or does someone know of a deal where we can fly BOS-SAN-HNL?
Doesn't AS fly BOS-SAN? If so you could do BOS-SAN-HNL on AS.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There are numerous two-segment routings between BOS and HNL if you're willing to change carriers: via JFK, Newark, Atlanta, O'Hare, LAX, SEA, SFO... Some won't even require a carrier change, let alone an overnight in SAN.

Are you specificaly looking to burn HA miles for all or some portion? Do you want a SAN overnight? Separate tickets mean you lose rerouting protection if there's a delay on your flights, and can mean more baggage fees.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There are numerous two-segment routings between BOS and HNL if you're willing to change carriers: via JFK, Newark, Atlanta, O'Hare, LAX, SEA, SFO... Some won't even require a carrier change, let alone an overnight in SAN.

Are you specificaly looking to burn HA miles for all or some portion? Do you want a SAN overnight? Separate tickets mean you lose rerouting protection if there's a delay on your flights, and can mean more baggage fees.
No, I only have B6 TrueBlue miles. I do want an overnight in SAN to avoid taking an odd-hour flight from BOS or an overnight layover in an airport hotel (as stated, I can stay at my aunt's house in Del Mar).

And I also want to fly B6 to SAN.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
No, I only have B6 TrueBlue miles. I do want an overnight in SAN to avoid taking an odd-hour flight from BOS or an overnight layover in an airport hotel (as stated, I can stay at my aunt's house in Del Mar).

And I also want to fly B6 to SAN.
Your orginal question " does someone know of a deal where we can fly BOS-SAN-HNL" and your wants (Want to fly B6) are confusing. As I posted is you fly AS, you can ticket yourself from BOS-SAN-HNL on a single ticket since AS flys between both cities, but if you only want to fly B6 BOS-SAN then you are limited on any deals...
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
You could book this on orbitz. As an FYI - AS was 300 dollars cheaper for the dates I chose.

You do get to fly B6 on BOS-SAN and LAX-BOS though. Have you tried multi-city on HA's website???

Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Your orginal question " does someone know of a deal where we can fly BOS-SAN-HNL" and your wants (Want to fly B6) are confusing. As I posted is you fly AS, you can ticket yourself from BOS-SAN-HNL on a single ticket since AS flys between both cities, but if you only want to fly B6 BOS-SAN then you are limited on any deals...
Yeah, AS does give me the overnight in SAN, but if I specifically fly B6 and HA, could I purchase two tickets? And another thing, if the B6 flight gets canceled, can I reschedule SAN-HNL?

What would you recommend in this case?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Yeah, AS does give me the overnight in SAN, but if I specifically fly B6 and HA, could I purchase two tickets? And another thing, if the B6 flight gets canceled, can I reschedule SAN-HNL?

What would you recommend in this case?
You have two options.

One, buy the tickets separately on B6 (BOS-SAN-BOS) and HA (SAN-HNL-SAN). You lose the protection in case a flight is delayed. B6 only has a responsibility to get you to/from SAN and HA only has to get you to/from HNL.

Two, buy the whole ticket at Orbitz or Travelocity. In that case, Orbitz or Travelocity becomes your travel agent. In case of irregular operations, they will help you with re-accomodations. If you stay overnight, you will have to pay two baggage fees regardless of how the trip is ticketed.

You can book connections with HA on JetBlue's website, since they are codeshare partners. Perhaps you can see if you can book your desired flights on JetBlue's website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.