Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hurricanes Iselle and Julio and Impact to Hawaii-Based Airlines?

Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Helpful Links:

Hawaiian Airlines' Website - http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/notification/pages/detail.aspx?nid=6

IslandAir's Website - http://www.islandair.com/tropical-storm-alert

Mokulele's Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/Mokulele
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Anyone flying to/from/between the islands next few days?

I'm on HA 51 Friday, hoping storm will loose some energy.

NOAA of course
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...daynl#contents

But any local reports (looking at you inlanikai) or your flight delays/cancellations as we get closer appreciated.

Mahalo!

Last edited by tdowl5757; Aug 5, 2014 at 8:40 am
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Right now the storm is tracking directly for the Big Island - and tracking slightly south of Oahu. That isn't a good path - as strongest winds are northwest of the center of the storm. Possible airport closure/power loss very possible.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by tdowl5757
Anyone flying to/from/between the islands next few days?

I'm on HA 51 Friday, hoping storm will loose some energy.

NOAA of course
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...daynl#contents

But any local reports (looking at you inlanikai) or your flight delays/cancellations as we get closer appreciated.

Mahalo!
You really need to re-evaluate your travel plans. There are two storms bearing down on us. While you may be fine, if there is a lot of wind and flood damage, Hawaii could be a horrible place to be navigating as a tourist.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
You really need to re-evaluate your travel plans. There are two storms bearing down on us. While you may be fine, if there is a lot of wind and flood damage, Hawaii could be a horrible place to be navigating as a tourist.
Trip to see family, I used to live there.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:59 pm

The second storm which is due in over the weekend, at least at the moment, looks like it may pack an even greater punch to the big island. Bare minimum, a lot of rain (and already highly saturated grounds from Iselle) and wind.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, FPC Premier, HHonors Gold, BA Bronze
As of this moment, HA hasn't released any official statement about waived change fees, etc. I know United has already informed their travelers regarding waived change fees due to Iselle. Hope everyone stays safe this week.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:26 pm
azj

Originally Posted by kbr420
As of this moment, HA hasn't released any official statement about waived change fees, etc. I know United has already informed their travelers regarding waived change fees due to Iselle. Hope everyone stays safe this week.
HAL issued this a little while ago.

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/noti...ail.aspx?nid=6
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azj
HAL issued this a little while ago.

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/noti...ail.aspx?nid=6
Thanks azj,

I have an award F ticket and as I've never re-booked HA award tickets under normal circumstances (let alone this) wondering what the implications of trying to find same available are.

May just have to stick with what I've got and hope the storm changes track/intensity or that if HNL is closed HA will hold the plane until it opens.

Any advice welcome.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Updated: Aug 05, 2014 11:45 AM HST

The National Weather Service has issued Flash Flood Watch for the entire state of Hawaii, effective from 4 a.m. Thursday until 6 a.m. Friday.

Forecasters said deep tropical moisture and heavy rain associated with Iselle will reach the Big Island Thursday and the rest of the state Thursday night and Friday.

Dealing with HA reservations, I believe in the Philippines, can be time consuming.

Good luck! Hope it doesn't affect you/us.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
I read through the updates earlier this evening and am not too alarmed about Oahu. Need to keep watching, but it looks like Iselle should be significantly weakened by the time it gets here. Which is not to say it will be a beautiful weekend in Hawaii or that flight operations won't be disrupted, but I'd lean toward cautious optimism (as I am for my scheduled mainland flight out of HNL Thursday afternoon).
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: UA Gold
HA is really not set up to deal with IRROPS. Called 6 times, unable to get through. Sat on hold for 30 minutes, told that the general reservations line can't process a flight change and I have to be transferred to the itinerary change department. Call dropped after 5 minutes on hold. Dialed another 4 times and got back to the general reservations line on the 5th try. Sat on hold for 20 minutes and transferred to the itinerary change department. Sat on hold for 45 minutes and was connected to a rep who said she needed to transfer me to the itinerary change department. When informed I was already transferred once, supposedly to that department, she said that they were experiencing problems with their system and that all she could do was transfer me again.

What a pathetic disaster.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WrightHI
I read through the updates earlier this evening and am not too alarmed about Oahu. Need to keep watching, but it looks like Iselle should be significantly weakened by the time it gets here. Which is not to say it will be a beautiful weekend in Hawaii or that flight operations won't be disrupted, but I'd lean toward cautious optimism (as I am for my scheduled mainland flight out of HNL Thursday afternoon).
Right, Wright -- Hope you make it out.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by choatie88
HA is really not set up to deal with IRROPS.
That isn't really surprising - how often does a major IRROPS event hit Hawaii?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
NHC has Julio on track, now a Cat. 1 Hurricane moving slowly & maximum sustained wind of 75 mph - path will take it over all the HI islands with the tail spinning around - expect heavy rainfall, wind & urban flash flooding & plan for power outages. That's the word from our relatives living on Oahu, they are on high-rise high above shorelines but still making the preparation to shelter in place, stock canned goods & MRE's , drinking water, etc. and not taking chance as a full scale exercise drill. Storm is expected to reach Hilo by Saturday as a tropical storm - frequent updates will be issues by NOAA/NHC & other forecast services, and generally speaking - the forecasts are very close/accurate within the 48 to 72 hours window of landfall. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...daynl#contents
Oahu news - http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...astern-pacific

As FT's - take common sense precaution & change travel plans if those are non-essential & airline waivers are posted. Lines at gas station are long & could run out as we've seen during Hurricane Sandy's approach in NY - flashlight w. extra batteries, solar charger & fresh water. Good luck & safe travel to all. Mahalo.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: DL DM/4MM, AS MVPG100K, HA Pualani Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Island Air updated their travel advisory including proactive suspension of some flights on Thursday, August 7th and all flights on Friday, August 8th

http://islandair.com/travel-advisory

Tropical Storm Alert
Thursday, August 7 afternoon flights serving Maui and Lanai have been cancelled. Flights servicing Kauaʻi on Thursday, August 7 will operate on a normal schedule.
All airline operations have been suspended on Friday, August 8.
The following are the final four Maui and Lana‘i 8/7 flights:
HNL – OGG: Flight 410 departing HNL 11:50 a.m.
OGG – HNL: Flight 411 departing OGG 1:02 p.m.
HNL – LNY: Flight 304 departing HNL 9:50 a.m.
LNY – HNL: Flight 303 departing LNY 10:50 a.m.
Normal flight schedule to resume Saturday, August 9, 2014.
Island Air advises its guests that the Hawaiian Islands may be subject to significant tropical storm conditions beginning Thursday evening, August 7 and extending through Monday evening, August 11. To check on time status please visit our Flight Status page.
Island Air will waive reservation change fees and differences in fares for guests who need to change their travel plans. The Reservations department will maintain extended hours of 6am - 10pm Thursday and Friday, returning to 7am to 6pm on Saturday. Guests who are ticketed for travel on Island Air from August 7, 2014 through August 12, 2014 will be permitted to change their flight without charge by contacting reservations at 1-800-652-6541. Changes must be made prior to the departure of originally scheduled flights.
This webpage will continue to be updated and notifications will be posted on the Island Air Facebook and Twitter accounts. We encourage guests to follow them to stay informed.
Information on Hawaii weather conditions can be found at the National Weather Service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.