Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Airlines won't allow name change after fiance cancels!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriot, Alaska Air, AAdvantage, Hilton Honors Diamond, British Airways

My fiance and I were going to Australia for our honeymoon in January. Unfortunately the wedding has been called off. I paid for her ticket with my Chase Sapphire card. I emailed Hawaiian Airlines and explained what happened and asked them to make an exception and allow a name change. It's not bad enough that I'm out tens of thousands of dollars for a ring, wedding venue and more. I was hoping Hawaiian Airlines would do the right thing.

Their response.... "we're sorry. We do not allow name changes especially for international travel". That's it! I guess expected a bit more compassion. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about my next move?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
Sorry to hear of your situation .. Maybe write back and ask them to refund you less any change fees?? It would probably be helpful if you had documentation that things were cancelled.

While not totally related to your situation, a few years ago Mrs.Yahrite808 was pregnant, with a doctor's note stating not to fly, HA refunded our trip.

good luck!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. It's possible that this is covered by your travel insurance. I say "possible" because it's not a typically insured risk, but it's worth reading your policy carefully.

2. You aren't asking for a name change, you are asking for a refund. Name changes are basically not done by any carrier.

3. A refund will create a credit, useable by your fiance, less a change fee (check the fare rules for amount and exact terms). She is the passenger. She should pay you that money, but whether she does or not is, of course, way beyond this thread.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:56 am
azj

Originally Posted by Often1
1. It's possible that this is covered by your travel insurance. I say "possible" because it's not a typically insured risk, but it's worth reading your policy carefully.

2. You aren't asking for a name change, you are asking for a refund. Name changes are basically not done by any carrier.

3. A refund will create a credit, useable by your fiance, less a change fee (check the fare rules for amount and exact terms). She is the passenger. She should pay you that money, but whether she does or not is, of course, way beyond this thread.
The OP is pretty clear he asked for a name change, which is why he got the response from Hawaiian that he got. I agree, approach the situation from a refund perspective, restate the story and perhaps things will work out more favorably.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by azj
The OP is pretty clear he asked for a name change, which is why he got the response from Hawaiian that he got. I agree, approach the situation from a refund perspective, restate the story and perhaps things will work out more favorably.
Per the International Contract of Carriage - http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/abou...ule.aspx?cr=65 - the situations that might qualify him for a refund looks like it's limited to death/medical.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Start with travel insurance. No muss, no fuss, check issued ASAP and it's over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.