Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Island Air baggage fees for United Platinum

Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, United Plat

I am a United Platinum. I booked an inter-island flight from Honolulu to Maui through United on Island Air for myself and 4 companions (cash not points). Does anyone know if my '3 X 70lb' baggage allowance for me and up to 8 companions transfer to Island Air (since it was booked through United)? If it matters, I paid with United Explorer VISA where I would be entitled to '2 X 50lb' per ticket.

My reservations show $0 for bag 1 and 2, with a 0 lb weight limit. But also says the United contract of carriage applies.

Just want to know if I need to downsize our 70lb bags, or get a loan to pay the baggage fees I'm facing.

Thanks,

Max
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Island Air is not a member of the Star Alliance so your status on UA gets you absolutely nothing on WP (except perhaps a chuckle or a roll of eyes when you try to show your Plat card to the WP agents). The United itinerary page is misleading when it comes to partner airlines as been noted on the UA forum.
Originally Posted by immax45
I am a United Platinum. I booked an inter-island flight from Honolulu to Maui through United on Island Air for myself and 4 companions (cash not points). Does anyone know if my '3 X 70lb' baggage allowance for me and up to 8 companions transfer to Island Air (since it was booked through United)? If it matters, I paid with United Explorer VISA where I would be entitled to '2 X 50lb' per ticket.

My reservations show $0 for bag 1 and 2, with a 0 lb weight limit. But also says the United contract of carriage applies.

Just want to know if I need to downsize our 70lb bags, or get a loan to pay the baggage fees I'm facing.

Thanks,

Max
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:14 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
You will pay for your baggage at the normal allowances and rates. They are quite reasonable for 50lb baggage. If you are over 50lbs a bag then you will get hammered.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.