Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

go! to Cease Service April 1, 2014 in Hawaii

Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

PHOENIX--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mesa Air Group, Inc. (“Mesa” or “Company”) announced today that it will cease its Hawai’i operations effective April 1, 2014. Since June 2006, go! has served its nearly five million passengers with safe, reliable and low fare service.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Service-April

Hawaiian airlines to re-accommodate.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)

More info on website. http://iflygo.com

Just booked tickets for June yesterday...times and price were better than HA. Had my reservations about booking with go (apparently for good reason!), but if I get the HA flights at the go price, I'll be happy.

Sad to see a loss of competition on the islands.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:27 pm

in the "go figure" category ...

An additional factor that we accounted for was the long term increase in the cost of fuel, which has more than doubled since go! began service and has caused sustained profitability to be elusive,” continued Ornstein.
uhm .. driving Aloha Airlines out of business apparently wasn't enough was it?

Now what? 1 effective interisland airline?

-David
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
The times I flew on Aloha's old 732s, I didn't really get the impression that it was "effective" (words like "delayed" were more applicable to my flights, sadly)... but it always had more than two flights a day to my town, and it was certainly much more of a viable second-place player in the market than go! ever became. I flew Hawaiian more, but I know a lot of people preferred Aloha, and although Hawaiian increased its fleet and frequencies to compensate for Aloha going away, there was a loss of "choice" in the marketplace. In comparison, I'm tempted to react to the news of go! going with "...and nothing of value was lost."
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
go! was a crappy operation and an ethical trainwreck. While many of us (including myself) may be tempted to say "good riddance," this effectively removes any restraining factor on Hawaiian's monopoly, and I don't hold out much hope of any serious competition for Hawaiian any time soon.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow...I cannot not believe this. Unfortunately for the news. I'm very disappointed. I never flew on go!. Oh well.

There is nothing can be done for now. It's time to let it go.

We will bid farewell to the airline employees. Good luck for searching a new job.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
A little curious about this quote...

From Mesa Air to end its Hawaiian operations, Go!

Originally Posted by JonathanOrnstein
With the significant expansion opportunities in flying large regional jets in contracted service, we are re-deploying the go! aircraft to support our existing mainland operations.
Given that Mesa has almost completely transitioned to CR7's and CR9's, and has only two CR2's left in service, with fifty-some stored, and given that Ornstein was also quoted about adding more CR9's and E-175's, I'm a little baffled as to what "support" a couple more old CR-2's would add to their mainline operations.

I suspect they'll actually be "re-deployed" to places that still value CR2's and thought other former go! airframes were worth having - like Air Wisconsin, Skywest, Air Mali, Ak Bars Aero, or Rusline - or "stored" and/or scrapped. The "support" will probably come in the form of any money Mesa gets for them.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:26 am
azj

Go! was hardly a formidable competitor. Their service totals roughly 2,000 seats a day, which is the equivalent to roughly 8 round trips on Hawaiian. I predict hardly any appreciable changes at HAL except for maybe a small incremental increase in peak day departures to recapture the spill over HAL loses when their flights are full. The market has stabilized over the last few years and prices are in the ball park for the demand.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Good riddance YV. Thanks for contributing to the demise of AQ

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by DanTravels
From Mesa Air to end its Hawaiian operations, Go!

Originally Posted by JonathanOrnstein
With the significant expansion opportunities in flying large regional jets in contracted service, we are re-deploying the go! aircraft to support our existing mainland operations.
Given that Mesa has almost completely transitioned to CR7's and CR9's, and has only two CR2's left in service, with fifty-some stored, and given that Ornstein was also quoted about adding more CR9's and E-175's, I'm a little baffled as to what "support" a couple more old CR-2's would add to their mainline operations.

I suspect they'll actually be "re-deployed" to places that still value CR2's and thought other former go! airframes were worth having - like Air Wisconsin, Skywest, Air Mali, Ak Bars Aero, or Rusline - or "stored" and/or scrapped. The "support" will probably come in the form of any money Mesa gets for them.
Maybe its not YV aircraft but YV pilots Mesa is after. @:-)

There's apparently quite the shortage of RJ pilots with the new FAA rules...

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 18, 2014 at 7:24 am Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:23 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DanTravels
...I'm tempted to react to the news of go! going with "...and nothing of value was lost."
You are being much too kind.

Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
go! was a crappy operation and an ethical trainwreck.
That pretty much says it all.

Originally Posted by beckoa

Good riddance YV. Thanks for contributing to the demise of AQ
Amen.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never flew go!, usually choosing to simply redeem ff miles to fly HA. I would always check go!'s fares, though, and then conclude I might as well just redeem on HA.

But this strikes me as another miserable development in Hawaiian interisland service. Prices are really, really high now. Like last month, when I checked the prices before redeeming points, the ow fare was over $100. That's a lot for a half-hour flight booked well in advance.

I guess if I were a local, I'd just keep getting credit card sign-up bonuses (AA's probably the best now) and keep redeeming at 5K a segment. But that's not something most locals are likely to do.

Sure wish they didn't kill the high-speed ferry. I assume that's dead for good? Hawaii desperately needs a transportation alternative.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:22 pm
Used to be 'FTcadence'

Mokulele Airlines Announces That It Will Honor go! Airlines Ticketed Passengers
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...250821001.html
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by iahphx
Sure wish they didn't kill the high-speed ferry. I assume that's dead for good? Hawaii desperately needs a transportation alternative.
Agree. I wanted to try this out but it got all mucked up.

Originally Posted by TravelingPeanut
Mokulele Airlines Announces That It Will Honor go! Airlines Ticketed Passengers
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...250821001.html
Mokulele Airlines, Hawaii's low-cost interisland air carrier
Good for them ^ Funny bit
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:57 pm
azj

Originally Posted by iahphx
I never flew go!, usually choosing to simply redeem ff miles to fly HA. I would always check go!'s fares, though, and then conclude I might as well just redeem on HA.

But this strikes me as another miserable development in Hawaiian interisland service. Prices are really, really high now. Like last month, when I checked the prices before redeeming points, the ow fare was over $100. That's a lot for a half-hour flight booked well in advance.

I guess if I were a local, I'd just keep getting credit card sign-up bonuses (AA's probably the best now) and keep redeeming at 5K a segment. But that's not something most locals are likely to do.

Since it seems to be a fun past time for locals to complain about "over priced" inter-island fares and HAL's monopoly that actually doesn't exist. I was just wondering… what do you think they should be charging? What's fair in the eyes of the consumer?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azj
Since it seems to be a fun past time for locals to complain about "over priced" inter-island fares and HAL's monopoly that actually doesn't exist. I was just wondering… what do you think they should be charging? What's fair in the eyes of the consumer?
I dunno -- how does 30 cents/mile sound?

I think I could make money operating ANY airline in the world at that rate. If HA can't do it at that price, somebody else should.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.