Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Overcharged for Bag on Hawaiian (United FF Award)

Overcharged for Bag on Hawaiian (United FF Award)

Old May 22, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, SPG Plat75, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by pashber
I suggest that you (or anyone else in this situation) take a few minutes to submit a complaint to the DOT via their website. As my experience with DOT shows, they are nothing but an industry lapdog, but the complaint should go into a database that can be accessed at some point to evaluate whether Hawaiian has engaged in a pattern or practice of violating DOT baggage rules.

For those who would prefer more immediate relief, they should contact their credit card company and dispute the charge. AMEX, however, will not allow a cardholder to enter a dispute online if it involves an airline; snail-mail is required. If the amount is small, AMEX will issue the credit rather than spend time investigating it.
Good idea - I'll report back if I hear anything from DOT.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Hawaiian Finally Caves In

What a saga it has been! The utter ineptness of both Hawaiian and DOT was totally inexcusable. After receiving the "no-go" response from DOT in May, I faxed a constituent request to my senator, Maria Cantwell, who also sits on the Commerce Committee, which has authority over DOT. My inquiry was forwarded to DOT for a response (remember that DOT had closed my inquiry and refused to do anything further). When an agency gets a congressional inquiry, they are required to provide a full and substantive response-- brush-offs are not acceptable.

Today, I received an email from Hawaiian apologizing for their mistake and admitting that the Hawaiian bag fee ($17) and not the United bag fee ($25) should have been applied. In addition to the refund ( $8.00), they are also issuing me a flight credit for $50.

The point of this exercise was to educate Hawaiian into applying the baggage fee rule correctly. Admittedly, it was like pulling teeth, and having a complicit DOT did not help. Their consumer operation needs to be audited, as it looks like they don't know their own rules.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:47 pm

I'm glad you didn't give up, but it sounds like it as much fun as a root canal.

Thanks for following up here.

-David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.