Wiki Posts
Search

Delays on HA 36 HNL-PHX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Can you disprove what I posted, BTW, the name of the thread is Delays on HA 36.....

Originally Posted by azj
Your argument falls flat when you start making up statistics. Have a nice day.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Could you care to decipher what you posted, it means nothing to me.

Originally Posted by HNL
I think you are right about the diversion not being mechanical. The flight was in LA for a little more than 1 hour.

PHX 800A 05
HNL 27 1130A
4PHX/OUT 0758 OFF 0813 *1013*HDQHXZ
2HNL/ETA 1455 *1429*HDQHXZ
5LAX/ETD 1100 - PSVC *1206*HDQHXZ
2LAX/IN 1107 *1307*HDQHXZ
3LAX/ETD 1145 - ATBPAXCAUS *1325*HDQHXZ
4LAX/OUT 1215 OFF 1228 *1429*HDQHXZ
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:38 pm
azj

Flight nurse -

I realize what the thread is about. I just think it's silly that every time there's an issue with flight 36/35 someone comes and updates the thread to alert the world about some irregular operation. I guess I fail to the see the point of it all. Every airline has operational issues from time to time and focusing on one flight is a blurry way to view an airline and its operation. Yes, HA36 often takes the brunt of any operational irregularities, but the issue is far more complicated than it seems. It's all apart of running an airline. A quick peek at flightstats.com will show you that your claim that the flight leaves late 70% of the time is false.

The cryptic looking information posted by "HNL" regarding todays flight 35 are the flight times for the flight today. The main take away from those stats show the flight spent minimal time on the ground in LAX, at just over an hour. This makes a strong case for the flight having diverted for a medical issue, as opposed to a mechanical issue.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

If for some reason you thought I was implying that the issue today had to do with a mechanical issue, you miss read my post. I was not aware of the issue with the flight until I posted. However, when it comes to Hawaiian 36 the delays in HNL have kept me and others from flying on Hawaiian.

Originally Posted by azj
Flight nurse -

I realize what the thread is about. I just think it's silly that every time there's an issue with flight 36/35 someone comes and updates the thread to alert the world about some irregular operation. I guess I fail to the see the point of it all. Every airline has operational issues from time to time and focusing on one flight is a blurry way to view an airline and its operation. Yes, HA36 often takes the brunt of any operational irregularities, but the issue is far more complicated than it seems. It's all apart of running an airline. A quick peek at flightstats.com will show you that your claim that the flight leaves late 70% of the time is false.

The cryptic looking information posted by "HNL" regarding todays flight 35 are the flight times for the flight today. The main take away from those stats show the flight spent minimal time on the ground in LAX, at just over an hour. This makes a strong case for the flight having diverted for a medical issue, as opposed to a mechanical issue.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by azj
I find this incredible scrutiny on one particular flight on the forum really strange.
^ This is one of the oddest threads I've seen. I only fly Hawaiian when forced due to the terrible upgrade and frequent flier program but focusing on 1 route is a bit weird.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I think we (particularly those of us who live in PHX) have a right to vent about this particular flight. If you read the posts in this forum, you will see that the HNL-PHX flight is the last mainland 763 flight of the afternoon. Therefore, if there is a mechanical on any earlier 763 flight, HA "steals" the aircraft for this flight. When this happens, the HNL-PHX flight often becomes a redeye, thereby delaying passengers 7 to 8 hours in the beautiful HNL terminal.

That said, based on the cryptic FLIFO information posted above, the reason for the diversion is PSVC (which means Passenger Service). This could mean anything from a medical situation to a disruptive passenger to "we have 50 empty seats on this plane and there are 50 extra passengers in LAX because of Hurricane Sandy".
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

It is not worth it, some people just do not understand..

Originally Posted by formeraa
I think we (particularly those of us who live in PHX) have a right to vent about this particular flight. If you read the posts in this forum, you will see that the HNL-PHX flight is the last mainland 763 flight of the afternoon. Therefore, if there is a mechanical on any earlier 763 flight, HA "steals" the aircraft for this flight. When this happens, the HNL-PHX flight often becomes a redeye, thereby delaying passengers 7 to 8 hours in the beautiful HNL terminal.

That said, based on the cryptic FLIFO information posted above, the reason for the diversion is PSVC (which means Passenger Service). This could mean anything from a medical situation to a disruptive passenger to "we have 50 empty seats on this plane and there are 50 extra passengers in LAX because of Hurricane Sandy".
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by azj
I realize what the thread is about. I just think it's silly that every time there's an issue with flight 36/35 someone comes and updates the thread to alert the world about some irregular operation. I guess I fail to the see the point of it all.
While this thread might not be valuable or informative to you or me, some people here seem to think it has some value.

Anyway, it's easy enough to just not read it, isn't it?

-David
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Another point is that, for longer-range flights, HA simply doesn't operate many flights. It might be ridiculous to discuss delays of a single flight on, say, American Airlines. However, HA 35/36 might represent 5% or more of the total mainland flights on a given day. Most airlines try not to delay the same flight over and over again for customer service reasons. HA seems to choose 35/36 for a major delay, if needed.

If FlightNurse, myself, and a few others like to discuss this, then I think it's worth it! ^

(I promise that I won't read the 50th post on whether IslandAir allows two bags of 35.7 lbs each)
Old Nov 22, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/4MM, AS MVPG100K, HA Pualani Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
HA36 HNL-PHX departed HNL around 1040pm last night (Wed 11/21) and today (Thurs 11/22) it appears same flight HA36 is delayed again estimate 10pm departure from HNL. Actually yesterday and into today some HA trans-pacific flights experienced lengthy delays (e.g. PHXHNL 12 hour delay, PDXHNL, 15 hour delay HNLKIX 9 hour delay, HNLSMF, HNLLAX, etc just to name a few).
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

well, I think it well be PHX-IAH-HNL for us, the new 3 class 777 on the IAH,HNL is the only way to start a nice vacation....
Old Nov 23, 2012, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
well, I think it well be PHX-IAH-HNL for us, the new 3 class 777 on the IAH,HNL is the only way to start a nice vacation....
lol, I guess for some people getting there is (much more than) half the fun. (2900+ n/s vs 4900+ with a stop in IAH)

-David
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
lol, I guess for some people getting there is (much more than) half the fun. (2900+ n/s vs 4900+ with a stop in IAH)

-David
Sometimes it's HOW ones gets there is all the fun....
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Sometimes it's HOW ones gets there is all the fun....
why don't you route through SFO, where they (UA) are also flying the 3-class domestic 772? (choose carefully, not all flights have it yet.)

-David
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
why don't you route through SFO, where they (UA) are also flying the 3-class domestic 772? (choose carefully, not all flights have it yet.)

-David
They do? I just check, Dec 10th, 2- 772's, with 2 class service, 1 767's with 2 class service and one 757, with 2 class service.

When does the 772 with 3 class service start and what is the flight #?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.